Songkran Water Restrictions?

Toknarok

This evening the Pouyaiban got onto the speakers and babbled on for about 20 minutes.Fortunately my house is situate far enough from the nearest speaker for it not to be a problem. The missus was away at the time and when she returned I enquired what it was all about.

Apparently it was a warning not to use excessive water during the coming Songkran season. Throwing of copious amounts of water around will be forbidden. Filling large water containers with water on the side of the road will not be allowed.No water pistols.

People will be encouraged to return to the Songkran of old when a gentle pouring of water over persons was encouraged.It was stated that the local police had been instructed to pursue persons not observing these rules.

Now whether this is just a local edict for the Bankruat region I have no idea. Whether the local populace adhere to these rules I doubt.Interesting to find out whether any other localities have these rules imposed.

Oh if only.

I was shopping yesterday in Tops, and Yes as part of their Songkran specials were the garbage can sized water bins, perfect for back of the pickup water throwing.

Thai's think about today, not tomorrow, next week, next month. I wait with bated breath for the shock and horror when there actually is no water....it'll be such a shock

Now whether this is just a local edict for the Bankruat region I have no idea

This one for sure: it's nothing just local.

Many reports about restrictions, time limitations etc.

One wiseman even suggested to use foggy spray:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/907076-bangkok-people-advised-to-use-foggy-spray-to-celebrate-songkran-this-year/

This would be a funny picture on the party strips biggrin.png

Whether or not Songkran will be tame this year?

I don't bet.

I will not support the big splash and will not fill up the water tank (2000l) and will tell the kids to temper.

It's rresponsible behavior to waste water for such purpose in the deepest draught.

Oh if only.

I was shopping yesterday in Tops, and Yes as part of their Songkran specials were the garbage can sized water bins, perfect for back of the pickup water throwing.

Thai's think about today, not tomorrow, next week, next month. I wait with bated breath for the shock and horror when there actually is no water....it'll be such a shock

Admonishing the "pretties" at the auto show fell on deaf ears they just moved the action to the parking lot. Songkran will be conducted the same as in the past full bore ahead damn the consequences. They can try and talk Songkran down to no avail. The only thing that would slow it down is if they turned on the spigots to fill their water cannons and nothing came out but a few noisy drips. Thailand is a watch and learn society and they have to physically see the none existence of water before reality sinks in. Its the same with pollution, sewage control and sustainability of life. Its one grand party. Its like musical chairs when the music stops everyone rushes for a chair. As long as the music plays the merriment continues.

Last year's Songkran was already dull last year in my place (small town in the central plain).

Possibily due to restrictions imposed like no water dousing "stations" along roads, only within the limits of the ampheu and moobans, no storage of alcoholic drinks at these "stations" (not visible anyway), no big loudspeakers allowed... and others I've forgotten.

By the 2nd day's afternoon, not many people were playing anymore. First time I see this in 20+ years there.

With likely water restrictions, it's going to be even more dead this year sad.png

Just as long as there is enough water for the golf courses

Yes really! good point, folks love to jump on the Songkan knocking brigade, just how much water is really wasted? If all the golf courses in Thailand didn't water for one day far more water would be saved than banning Songkran!

I have ben around Thailand for 35 years or more, throwing copious amounts of water has always been the way Songkran has been celebrated! the "days of old" when water was gently splashed? maybe in the HiSo families in Bangkok! not in the provinces.

Personally I have no time for Songkran, but out in the sticks it is a yearly celebration, the farming families don't have a great deal to celebrate given the deal given to them by the ruling elite, let them have their fun, amazing Thailand indeed! the amount of foreigners that consider it their right to moan about what is a traditional Thai celebration & the so called HUGE waste of water!

Yes really! good point, folks love to jump on the Songkan knocking brigade, just how much water is really wasted? If all the golf courses in Thailand didn't water for one day far more water would be saved than banning Songkran!

I have ben around Thailand for 35 years or more, throwing copious amounts of water has always been the way Songkran has been celebrated! the "days of old" when water was gently splashed? maybe in the HiSo families in Bangkok! not in the provinces.

Personally I have no time for Songkran, but out in the sticks it is a yearly celebration, the farming families don't have a great deal to celebrate given the deal given to them by the ruling elite, let them have their fun, amazing Thailand indeed! the amount of foreigners that consider it their right to moan about what is a traditional Thai celebration & the so called HUGE waste of water!

Take a look at this thread CGW, apparently golf courses are fed by giant ponds that hold millions of gallons that mysteriously fill up even though its not rained for months

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/904783-tap-water-services-to-parts-of-bangkok-to-be-suspended/

You have been around Thailand for 35 years and come out with a comment like that. Funny.

Archived