Bangkok people advised to use foggy spray to celebrate Songkran this year

webfact

Bangkok people advised to use foggy spray to celebrate Songkran this year

12939435_10154096910953637_1642923986_n_

BANGKOK: -- The advice came from Mr Wallop Suvarndee, chief advisor to Governor of Bangkok, when he chaired a press conference of "Bangkok Songkran Festival at Silom 2016" yesterday.

As the country now is facing the mist critical drought situation in 20 years, he advised that Songkran celebrants spray foggy instead of to splash water this year.

He said there will be no free water distributing spot too.

He made clear that the “Bangkok Songkran Festival at Silom 2016” will be held without free water distribution spots set up by the BMA as it usually had in the past.

Neither the water cave nor the performing stage will be erected as the country had faced a serious drought, he said.

He asked business enterprises not to set up free water distribution spots while for the celebrants he advised them and to foggy spray.

He said the Silom Songkran Festival at Silom will be held on April 13 and 14, from noon to 9 pm.

He said one day is cut off from it usually held from 13 to 15.

He also said alcohol will be banned as well as big water guns.

City police in cooperation with the military will check all celebrants entering Silom to make sure that they won’t carry backpacks, wear masks, or carry big water guns into the area as part of the security measures against terrorism.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/157699

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-31

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All you get from foggy spray is a Foggy Bottom. Or Soggy Bottom.

Songkran is not going to be songkran this year. (Not that I care - I haven't been soaked in a dozen years - but hey, some people with straitened lives get a chance to cut loose once a year, and it's nice to see the smiles and laughs.)

Songkran is not going to be songkran this year. (Not that I care - I haven't been soaked in a dozen years - but hey, some people with straitened lives get a chance to cut loose once a year, and it's nice to see the smiles and laughs.)

Yes and what about the waste of PRECIOUS water.

Or don't Thai's realize that without water you can actually DIE.

OH i forgot the THAI mentality.

Having FUN is more important than SURVIVAL.

Fine spray? Potentially unclean water? Nice warm temperatures? Perfect for legionella bacteria!

What about some people "recycling" old spray bottle containing soap, solvent or other chemical,,,,,to save money on a clean new one...

Sure everyone here would love to have a chief advisor like this one, your business would just roar up into the sky like a supercharged intercontinental rocket...

Why not use a wet towel instead and use it to ever so softly just touch the cheeks of the people around you during Songkran??? crazy.gif

Edited by MockingJay

The Thai mentality?

Or the farang worry wart mentality? Mate, no one will DIE of thirst as you say. There will still be drinking water in 7-11.

Why is it about the farang mentality with over the top claims that have no logic. SURVIVAL you say????? Think about it. Are you an elderly woman?

I will go with the Thai mentality here. They are cutting back on water use by not giving out free water and suggesting this misting thing is also clever, still have fun, but don't use as much. Good idea.

Very clever and practical people these Thais. A lot of fun also.

The Thai mentality?

Or the farang worry wart mentality? Mate, no one will DIE of thirst as you say. There will still be drinking water in 7-11.

Why is it about the farang mentality with over the top claims that have no logic. SURVIVAL you say????? Think about it. Are you an elderly woman?

I will go with the Thai mentality here. They are cutting back on water use by not giving out free water and suggesting this misting thing is also clever, still have fun, but don't use as much. Good idea.

Very clever and practical people these Thais. A lot of fun also.

... why not just make some rain to get more water ?

Exaclty, why don't the authorities call in the fortune tellers they are so fond of and ask them to predict the future for the water shortage? Then they can make an informed decision. Or, perhaps they have a traditional rain dance?

I'm surprised how many negative responses there are to this suggestion. Personally I think it's great, and also good for cooling on a hot day. I also like a previous posters suggestion of a damp cloth. If it were tradition it would just be sprinkling a little water on the elders hands as a mark of respect.

It would have been better if the suggestion were made earlier so that product manufacturers could have produced holiday style designs though (and also avoid to soap/detergent potential issue).

Sure the breweries won't like this, but it would be nice to see a more family orientated festival than 'who has the biggest supply of ice water to knock people off their scooters'.

Next thing is to get some decibel police doing the rounds to keep music to a non damaging level. They're only a couple of hundred baht for a basic model. I don't like it when my drink howvers across the desk and smashes on the floor because of the sub-base many doors away from me (serious).