Train bus crash kills two, injures over 30

rooster59

Several board members ask why the train didn't brake, it was probably traveling at a speed of 80 - 100kph, if the brakes were applied immediately it saw the bus, it would have taken at least 1.4 -1.6 km to pull up. The train weighs probably about 400 tonnes, and the bus, about 4. This is why the train has right of way, it cannot swerve off the line, it cannot brake quickly, bus can do both. It appears that the sun may have been in bus drivers eyes, he is probably on a tight schedule, so has to keep up a certain average speed. Not an excuse for the bus driver, but probably the causes of the collision. My sympathy for all involved, including the train driver, who would have seen it coming, and been unable to do anything to avoid it.

D.

I see in one video, the train halted just beyond the smashed bus, so was it really going as fast as you suggest.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't wait for the high speed train to be operational.

Lets also hope that the crossings will all have functional barriers as well.

always good for the locals to slalom round!!

I live near a crossing. Horns are blasted by the train every time.

No sign of that here though.....and the bus driver couldn't see...I'm now 90 % sure of that.

Passengers screamed...he stopped and just before impact he tried to engage reverse.

What makes you so sure the bus driver couldn't see?

Think i explained before.

The driver sits very low down...lower that a lot of private vehicles...to his left is a narrow door and window...this is small because the staircase is housed there. If the bus was even at a small angle to the line (which it was), the driver would not have been able to see doiwn the track. Furthermore we are not given insight into what bushes, billboards and huts may have further obscured vision.

The passengers would have seen the train and started screaming.

The train was far more likely to have seen the bus, but there appears to have been no whistle or attempt to slow the train. The train driver must have been aware that there were many crossings with no barriers and even that the signals are out.

It appears that just before impact the driver engaged reverse...by then he would have got the message from the passengers and crew......

Accidents don't just happen, they are caused by human or mechanical failure.

This incident is completely due to driver error. OK, lights and barriers would have helped, but as an advanced driver and ex driving instructor, I know that if you cannot see, because of sun, fog or anything else, you stop. The driver of this bus should never have entered the crossing if the sun was blinding him.

QED Utter nonsense.

Several board members ask why the train didn't brake, it was probably traveling at a speed of 80 - 100kph, if the brakes were applied immediately it saw the bus, it would have taken at least 1.4 -1.6 km to pull up. The train weighs probably about 400 tonnes, and the bus, about 4. This is why the train has right of way, it cannot swerve off the line, it cannot brake quickly, bus can do both. It appears that the sun may have been in bus drivers eyes, he is probably on a tight schedule, so has to keep up a certain average speed. Not an excuse for the bus driver, but probably the causes of the collision. My sympathy for all involved, including the train driver, who would have seen it coming, and been unable to do anything to avoid it.

D.

?? Train takes 1.4 - 1.6 kph to stop. ?? Its a passenger train not a 7klm long,100000 tonnes iron ore train. Seems to stop pretty quick once its hit the bus. Bus weighs 4 tonne??

No, it takes about 1.4 - 1.6 Km not kph

It seems I have been shot down, and my figures are totally wrong, thus I apologise. The train must undoubtedly be able to stop in less than 10 metres, and the bus must take much longer. The weight of the bus given in the table attached to one reply gives the weight of the bus as up to 26 tonnes fully laden with a large overweight component, so it also must weigh more than the train, It is useless trying to give a valid point of view on TV - I'm done.

The busdriver didn't see the train coming facepalm.gif , guess he hadn't been to the busdriverscoars in Chonburi yet.

But the attendees at the associated road safety midnight prayer meeting can say a few words of remembrance for him.

No flashing lights at the crossing. No drop down gates. Okayyyy, but you telling me the bus drive can't see that big <deleted> train coming at him???? Sorry, but I seriously hope the bus driver was one of those who were killed.

Well he was so you can now you can relax knowing you wish has been granted and that his family can take solace in your comforting words

Negligence on all levels, excluding the train driver... Hopefully heads will roll for this, and the responsible officials charged accordingly.

RIP, negligent bus driver and innocent victims/passengers.

This is why I haven't entered a single bus or mini bus in Thailand for over 2 decades... These drivers are all insane and suicidal!

I prefer to drive myself , I own a car and I am aware of all the dangers around me in the traffic , I would not dare to let any local Thai to drive my car.

The only bus I travel with is Pattaya to Bangkok , I have never heard of any reported accidents on this route , even if the bus drivers sometimes looks a bit tired and I remember one time he fell asleep for a few seconds.

But normally you should try to avoid minivans and buses here, just too many accidents.

No flashing lights at the crossing. No drop down gates. Okayyyy, but you telling me the bus drive can't see that big <deleted> train coming at him???? Sorry, but I seriously hope the bus driver was one of those who were killed.

Well he was so you can now you can relax knowing you wish has been granted and that his family can take solace in your comforting words

Yep, some people are so quick off-the-mark with downright stupid comments on things they know F ... all about. Maybe the drivers off-sider gave him the all clear to proceed after "looking" if there were any trains approaching.

And , maybe the passengers killed should also come in for the same criticism - for being so stupid as to catch a bus.

The stupidity of drivers in charge of public vehicles and responsible for the lives of others in Thailand is staggering, as is the degree of accidents caused by stupidity costing the lives of innocents.

A accident easily avoided simply by slowing down and looking left and right... again... the level of stupidity is absolutely staggering...

very often I encounter motorcyclists who simply can't be bothered to turn their head to check for oncoming traffic but one would expect a professional bus driver not to be in this category

He was. If he hadn't stopped on the tracks to look both ways he might still be alive today.

Brilliant; stopping on the TRACK to look both ways to make sure a train is not coming.

Nobel prizes = 0 No brain prizes X x 10 6th power

solve for X

Edited by atyclb

Meanwhile, back in Nanny land with its culture of safety, sanity and caution, 3 separate train wrecks in 12 hours, 2 of them with fatalities...

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/04/03/us/philadelphia-amtrak-derailment/index.html

It isn't just the Thais.

Yes, Thais aren't the only one's that have accidents. I've worked along with the Department of Transportation for a number of years and your comparison of this particular accident with the Thai one is way off based. The only thing that is the same is people die and people got hurt. This accident like so many in Thailand is due to lack of education, lack of proper training, lack of enforcement and finally lack of any real action to correct the problem. Sure we all jump on the bandwagon label everything Nanny land, I think Thailand should maybe increase the Nanny theory more in this particular area.

BKK-Nam Tok.

Isn't that the special tourist train that runs to the River Kwai (Death Bridge and beyond) only on weekends?

One of my favorite tourist excursions.

These trains run every day ;

I write these because there are three or four in the day; the first one - number 485 - leaving Nong Pla Duk station at 4. 25 am;

so it's a Kanchanaburi at about 6 am ;

The "special " train for tourists - n* 909 - leaves Hua Lamphong station every saturday & sunday at 6.30 am

On the photo, what we can see in Kanchanaburi station about all the trains every days

23396669386_309f650b13_b.jpg

Usually, it's a train or a bus crash we read about. A train and a bus crashing together is a new one.

They very well may be trying for that #1 spot for road deaths. Though, I wonder if train tracks count?

RIP. Your deaths could have easily been avoided.

Meanwhile, back in Nanny land with its culture of safety, sanity and caution, 3 separate train wrecks in 12 hours, 2 of them with fatalities...

It isn't just the Thais.

Thing is, here this kind of accident will happen again real soon.

Would you expect different, knowing that the market price of a round trip tourist train ticket to Kanchanaburi is a little less than $4? For that price, you don't get elevated crossings and automated traffic barriers operated by state of the art super computers. You get basic, point A to point B.

You do get a reasonable level of safety, commensurate with the price of a ticket- a price which is dictated by the economic needs of the passengers, who can't afford that $20-30-50 Euro or Amtrak ticket for the same length trip.

Also, from the linked article:

Another incident occurred in Pennsylvania's Bucks County, an Amtrak spokesman said. A trespasser was struck and injured Sunday evening.
In the small Illinois town of Somonauk, a 28-year-old was killed when an Amtrak train struck a vehicle at a roadway crossing, authorities said.
That's 3. In 12 hours.
I'll take my chances on the 120 baht tourist train. That's 120 baht round trip.

Accidents don't just happen, they are caused by human or mechanical failure.

This incident is completely due to driver error. OK, lights and barriers would have helped, but as an advanced driver and ex driving instructor, I know that if you cannot see, because of sun, fog or anything else, you stop. The driver of this bus should never have entered the crossing if the sun was blinding him.[/ฉันรู้ว่าคุณจะบอกฉันมาก่อนแต่ฉันจำไม่ได้

ทำไมนายใส่อะไรลงไปในซุปquote]

QED Utter nonsense.

So, if you are driving at 80kph, and you come to an area, say where they are burning field stubble, the smoke is drifting, very thickly across the road and visibility is less than 10 metres. Do you keep going?

Another unguarded crossing , great job SRT and a dead bus driver at fault. RIP.

Excuse me? In the US and Canada, most crossings are "unguarded". But flashing lights and loud alarm warn a train is approaching.

I am not sure about flashing light and/or alarm in Thailand, but it's avoidable anyway.

In France last year, they had 115 collisions at railroad crossings and 38 died as a result.

The blame game doesn't work or help.

it is apparent that driver error is a part of this accident. however "safety" is a process by which all those involved in using designing roads can prevent this from happening. If the junction with the railway had been better designed this collision would never have happened.

65% of road incidents world wide involve driver error... the main cause - this includes every man-jack on Thai Visa........ so to be safer we need factors that reduce the possibility of this contributing to a serious event. - that is what road safety measures are about - looking round for a single factor to "blame" is not only p[pointless it is extremely unhelpful - Education is only part of the problem and has also been shown to have only a minimal effect - road design in case like this is far more important.

The police are clutching at straws just to "restore harmony" or whatever irt is they think they are doing......but it has little or nothing to do with a scientific analysis of the event.

the truth about Thai roads and railways is that they are way below par when it comes to design and maintenance - better design would have prevented this.

If there had been WORKING BARRIERS THE BUS COULD NOT HAVE CROSSED - END OF PROBLEM. many studies around the world have shown that this is the prime and only really effective way to stopping this sort of thing altogether.

iI the lights had been working then it is almost certain the bus would not have proceeded.

The Junction itself - like most junctions in Thailand is almost certainly littered with obstructions to vision.

The angle of approach

Tees and vegetation not cut away.

Billboards signs and buildings place inappropriately.

The design of the vehicle - lateral vision from those cabs is appalling - the vehicles are basically homebuilt for looks with scant regard to safety.

the basic concept of safety is ensuring that things CAN’T happen - in Thailand the basic philosophy is hoping that things WON’T happen - it is the reasoning behind most fatalities on the road

There is no will to change the status quo, even in 2016. The carnage will continue.

There are in fact various road safety bodies in Thailand and ASEAN - there is an ASEAN-wide program to reduce fatalities but as long as Thailand remains a kakistocracy then improvements in death rates will be minimal - it it those at the top that are blocking change.

However, the concept of status quo is well off the mark - the fact is that motoring in Thailand has changed exponentially over the last 2 decades - the demographics, numbers of vehicles and of course the types of roads...Thailand is changing rapidly and it is the failure to address change that is connected to the unacceptable road safety figures.

It isn't just the Thais.

Thing is, here this kind of accident will happen again real soon.

Would you expect different, knowing that the market price of a round trip tourist train ticket to Kanchanaburi is a little less than $4? For that price, you don't get elevated crossings and automated traffic barriers operated by state of the art super computers. You get basic, point A to point B.

You do get a reasonable level of safety, commensurate with the price of a ticket- a price which is dictated by the economic needs of the passengers, who can't afford that $20-30-50 Euro or Amtrak ticket for the same length trip.

Also, from the linked article:

Another incident occurred in Pennsylvania's Bucks County, an Amtrak spokesman said. A trespasser was struck and injured Sunday evening.

In the small Illinois town of Somonauk, a 28-year-old was killed when an Amtrak train struck a vehicle at a roadway crossing, authorities said.

That's 3. In 12 hours.

I'll take my chances on the 120 baht tourist train. That's 120 baht round trip.

Good for you.

And those three reported are every accident. Do you think we hear about every accident in Thai rails? O you have any idea where those places you just mentioned in the US are and how much larger an area it is, how much larger than Thailand? And how many more lines and traffic there is? Three times the accidents, but many more than three times the chances.

Another unguarded crossing , great job SRT and a dead bus driver at fault. RIP.

Excuse me? In the US and Canada, most crossings are "unguarded". But flashing lights and loud alarm warn a train is approaching.

I am not sure about flashing light and/or alarm in Thailand, but it's avoidable anyway.

In France last year, they had 115 collisions at railroad crossings and 38 died as a result.

Un-gated crossings are dangerous - worldwide - even "half barriers are considered a risk.....in countries with large rural areas and stretched infrastructures they are still used but in more densely populated countries they are now regarded as unusable.....it is no longer economically viable in most countries to employ someone to open and close a gate...this involves human error anyhow, but the hi-tech alternative is costly too....

E.G USA - "Year 2013: 2,090 accidents resulting in 249 deaths and approximately 954 serious injuries (as of 7/29/14" - http://www.angelsontrack.org/cts/ctsfacts.html

USA does not have a good road safety profile compared to European countries who are gradually removing gate-less crossings...as is the US