Physical Brawl in South Pattaya Parking Lot

webfact

Come on - its fairly easy to make an assumption of what happened here...

(Read 'assumption' - because I really have no idea what happened, but having faced similar situations numerous times I can make a guess)

The Parking Lot has 'acquired' an attendant - someone who's taken it upon himself to charge those parking. He's been doing it for so long that its become the norm, his sense of entitlement kicks in, its become the norm for him, the norm of the owners of the parking lot, the norm for those parking there.....

This sense of entitlement increases, the parking attendant feels he deserves more for his hard work and decides to increase prices.

Most people probably pay the increase to avoid confrontation and / or to avoid damage to their car while they are away.

The parking attendants sense of entitlement is thus vindicated... Until someone objects and he gets upset because someones 'called him out'... of course, lacking the emotional tools to handle this, he becomes aggressive / violent.

Now: I'm not saying that this has happened but I've seen this very example happen many times. I've seen tires slashed (a girl who refused to pay the 'parking attendant on the street').... its extortion, you are not paying to park, you are paying not to have your car damaged.

I've seen how my FIL handles it, he pays the going rate (in BKK its 20 baht), if the Parking attendant complains he tells the attendant that in no uncertain terms he'll have him (my FIL) to deal with should anything happen to the car (it works better when its a Merc with 4 repeated numbers !).

From what I've noticed - the car parks in the day time are marked with signs etc... there is no ambiguity - Its at night time when the 'chancers' come out. Its like begging, under the premise of protecting your car, but the sense of entitlement kicks in and these parking guys start to believe its their right to receive payment for someone else parking on someone else's land, or the side of the road on 'their patch'.....

Unfortunately its the 'way it is' because not enough people do anything about its... path of least resistance is often followed which involves paying 20 baht - however, when the 'increase' kicks in, people will start to complain and we will see more of this.

It now seems the Norm in Pattaya is 60 baht... and its being pushed up to 100 Baht.

Well... Either all of the above - OR it was an Official / Real Car park and the Russian was simply objecting to the increase.

Who or what is a FIL?

Yes - what is a FIL?

Father In Law...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I right in thinking that the Russians will take on the Thais, while most of us chicken out?

Yes, the rest of us are weak flowers; compared to the mighty tourist alien who takes on all Thais based on their massive ego and leftover native country believe system.

You will frequently see these Gods of social justice on the news and in print, with a Thai national, pointing at them, not unlike a child points at an primate in the zoo.

Am I right in thinking that the Russians will take on the Thais, while most of us chicken out?

Yes, the rest of us are weak flowers; compared to the mighty tourist alien who takes on all Thais based on their massive ego and leftover native country believe system.

You will frequently see these Gods of social justice on the news and in print, with a Thai national, pointing at them, not unlike a child points at an primate in the zoo.

I'm married to a Russian, so I know how they are with their money, not wanting to be overcharged (ripped off) for ANY amount. Nothing they hate more then someone demanding more money for a service or item after a price was agreed upon, days/weeks prior to, or at the moment. To many con artists in Russia that they have to deal with on nearly a daily basis. Want to hit a raw nerve with a Russian, overcharge. My wife will haggle with a vender for 10mins over 20-50baht. Where I (American) will pay it and move on. Not worth my time, and getting upset over. Russians don't see it that way. Thai venders, I notice, as soon as they realize she is Russian, they go into a defensive mode on prices.

I always park for free in this area , just drive around until I find a spot within walking distance. I would never pay for parking in this crazy city lol.

Edited by balo

Come on - its fairly easy to make an assumption of what happened here...

(Read 'assumption' - because I really have no idea what happened, but having faced similar situations numerous times I can make a guess)

The Parking Lot has 'acquired' an attendant - someone who's taken it upon himself to charge those parking. He's been doing it for so long that its become the norm, his sense of entitlement kicks in, its become the norm for him, the norm of the owners of the parking lot, the norm for those parking there.....

This sense of entitlement increases, the parking attendant feels he deserves more for his hard work and decides to increase prices.

Most people probably pay the increase to avoid confrontation and / or to avoid damage to their car while they are away.

The parking attendants sense of entitlement is thus vindicated... Until someone objects and he gets upset because someones 'called him out'... of course, lacking the emotional tools to handle this, he becomes aggressive / violent.

Now: I'm not saying that this has happened but I've seen this very example happen many times. I've seen tires slashed (a girl who refused to pay the 'parking attendant on the street').... its extortion, you are not paying to park, you are paying not to have your car damaged.

I've seen how my FIL handles it, he pays the going rate (in BKK its 20 baht), if the Parking attendant complains he tells the attendant that in no uncertain terms he'll have him (my FIL) to deal with should anything happen to the car (it works better when its a Merc with 4 repeated numbers !).

From what I've noticed - the car parks in the day time are marked with signs etc... there is no ambiguity - Its at night time when the 'chancers' come out. Its like begging, under the premise of protecting your car, but the sense of entitlement kicks in and these parking guys start to believe its their right to receive payment for someone else parking on someone else's land, or the side of the road on 'their patch'.....

Unfortunately its the 'way it is' because not enough people do anything about its... path of least resistance is often followed which involves paying 20 baht - however, when the 'increase' kicks in, people will start to complain and we will see more of this.

It now seems the Norm in Pattaya is 60 baht... and its being pushed up to 100 Baht.

Well... Either all of the above - OR it was an Official / Real Car park and the Russian was simply objecting to the increase.

Who or what is a FIL?

Yes - what is a FIL?

Sorry.... Father In Law..

Ripping your tourists off again

Assaulting your tourists again how nice. bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

Ever hear of the core capitalist belief of supply and demand?

My airline fare fluctuates reflecting seasonal demand.This month it is 140,000 baht with KLM/AF. Should I go psycho on the airline when it raises the airfare to 200,000 baht at Christmas?

It is quite plausible that Ivan assaulted the parking lot attendant first. The parking fee was not a secret and no one forced the the Russian to park there. Seriously, you are complaining about 100 baht? In most western business districts in peak hour it can cost 300 baht for 15 minutes.

Ripping your tourists off again

Assaulting your tourists again how nice. bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

Ever hear of the core capitalist belief of supply and demand?

My airline fare fluctuates reflecting seasonal demand.This month it is 140,000 baht with KLM/AF. Should I go psycho on the airline when it raises the airfare to 200,000 baht at Christmas?

It is quite plausible that Ivan assaulted the parking lot attendant first. The parking fee was not a secret and no one forced the the Russian to park there. Seriously, you are complaining about 100 baht? In most western business districts in peak hour it can cost 300 baht for 15 minutes.

I always take in consideration how cheap is it to live in the country and the quality of living for most of its people before seriously complaining about a small increase in price. If one feels they've been 'ripped off', voice your disapproval, then, don't park there again. Problem solved.

• 2 weeks later...

What is GOING ON in Pattaya and many other parts of Thailand? Beatings, Murders, Robberies.. I used to feel safe, anywhere I went to in Thailand... Now, I'm not too sure. Maybe it is an influx of non-Thais? (ie: Myanmar, Cambodia, Vietnam?) Not blaming a whole country, but there is something not right going on in Thailand! I have a place in Thailand, but might just sell it to break all connections with Thailand.

What is GOING ON in Pattaya and many other parts of Thailand? Beatings, Murders, Robberies.. I used to feel safe, anywhere I went to in Thailand... Now, I'm not too sure. Maybe it is an influx of non-Thais? (ie: Myanmar, Cambodia, Vietnam?) Not blaming a whole country, but there is something not right going on in Thailand! I have a place in Thailand, but might just sell it to break all connections with Thailand.

I've been thinking the same. I'm going to keep a close eye on the situation there. If I keep being harassed by aggressive LB's miles away from their area, and the attacks on foreigners continues, I will avoid Thailand. I won't spend time and money in countries I feel are unsafe. Two of the main reasons I left the U.S. was its high crime rate, and bad cops throwing their weight around. Life is to short to have to always think about 'what next', always looking over your shoulder. Then knowing, if you respond in a defensive manner, you'll be ganged up on, and have to foot all the medical bills of those that attacked you, because, you are thought of as a 'rich' foreigner. Most foreign women say they don't feel threatened in Thailand, because, the massage parlor girls aren't calling out to them and trying to drag them into their establishment by the arm as they walk by and LB's aren't grabbing their crouch. Maybe, after watching this video, they will understand what men go through in Pattaya, day and night. I've had a number of men complain to me about those two problems. So, its not just me.

He turns up at a car park and finds out the price has gone up. He has 2 choices, to pay or go elsewhere. But no the Russian wants to get into a fight over it, idiot. I would have just gone somewhere else, simple as that.