Best news channel

TheCruncher

With my Kodi enabled media box I can stream virtually every live news channel in the world.

But in fact I don't want to zap between all those channels, but want to have 1 news channel on in the background all day.

In that case I'm looking for your opinion about which channel is the best informed worldwide, has the fastest updates, and most important is considered unbiased least biased in the majority of important news topics.

I think Al Jazeera has the best reporting of all the English-language stations I've seen. Biased? You betcha! Especially against US, Israel and the Western powers in general. But just about every sovereign nation in the world hates them, which is something in their favor IMO. Some of their long-form reports are excellent stuff you'll not see anywhere else. This is the only TV news I watch, I balance it out with reading NYT, Washington Post and google news on the web.

As for updates, most of these news stations are more involved in generating news, rather than covering it. Each station has a form of "news alert" that may not be urgent at all. And if it's a US station the priority is ratings ratings ratings (meaning $$$). The "liberal" US cable station (MSNBC) has given Trump billions of dollars worth of free airtime since he announced last June -- goes to show how liberal they are. About 10 years ago BBC decided to re-invent itself so it was like CNN: so much for the 'Beeb.

None of the 24 hour news channels are unbiased or in many cases factual.

They provide 'entertainment news' wrapped up in a pretense that they are presenting hard news.

In many ways I admire Fox for making no pretense about it, with them you know you are watching a biased skewed and distinctly entertainment product.

The much more dangerous ones are the AJ & BBC's of the bunch. They actively promote their Holier Than Thou disguise which is much more insidious.

Before the Brits come running to the defense of the BBC, let me say this. I was a total Anglophile listening to the BBC WS on shortwave back in the day. In those days it truly was a balanced service, but their decimation of the old World Service to compete in the 24x7 news channel world, reduced them to just another 'me too' service just like MSNBC, AJ, Fox and all the rest. Sad loss to the world.

So as the OP question....pick any they are all the same!

I tend to leave the news on when I'm at home during the day also (evenings are for movies and TV shows). But I switch stations on the top of the hour because if you leave the same station on it just repeats what you saw the last hour and I like variety.

Channel News Asia (CNA) based in Singapore is excellent.

I spent a lifetime in Broadcast News and when I retired here in Thailand several years ago, I did "the rounds" and decided CNA is the BEST.

Give it a try and decide for yourself. You'll also find their main Presenter, Glenda Chong, is perhaps one of the best anywhere.

Another Kodi add-on that includes Channel News Asia is World News Live. It has many news channels to chose from.

https://github.com/k3oni/plugin.video.world.news.live

https://addons.tvaddons.ag/show/plugin.video.world.news.live/

https://superrepo.org/kodi/addon/plugin.video.world.news.live

But the link in World news live is Geo restricted. Doesn't open if you're not in Singapore or use a VPN.

Archived