Thai-French superstar breaks down in tears when drawn into military

webfact

Life is a bitch when you have to anti up and become a man.

While I agree with your sentiment I don't think the Thai army is the right institution to develop a kid into a man. Back where I grew up I did my compulsory military service gladly, and I would want my kids to do the same.

In Thailand I would actively discourage them.

If i was an american dad i would certainly tell my son not to join the military.....all your are is cannon-fodder to the american establishment!

They will haul your ass off to some conflict that was started by 'the establishment'.....

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bullying in the army...

The videos below of Thai soldiers, were doing the rounds on Thai Facebook 3 years ago.

In the first video, the poster says he doesn't know what the soldier was being punished for. The 2nd video was apparently sparked by the soldiers being caught smoking and refusing to admit to it when confronted. Third video, well..don't really know what to say. blink.png

1. www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=543395739037729

2. www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=544534028923900

3. http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=435_1370940179

There's also the sad story of Thai conscript Wichen Puaksom from 2011, who deserted, and was punished by being beasted and beaten to death by fellow soldiers.

The US military used to have unwritten ways of straightening out thieves, dirt bags and other malcontents.

In the Navy, it was called a "blanket party" and you really didn't want to be the guest of honor. It had mostly drifted away by the time I joined in the 80's, but on my first ship, there were a few acts of internal discipline. I recall one on a guy we called "stinky" - you can probably work out what the problem was based on the name. Talking, asking, threats, hazing - none of it worked, so one evening, he was bodily removed from his stinking rack, shoved into a shower stall and hosed down with an 1 1/2" fire hose. He was given the choice of soaping up himself, or having others do it for him using pads of steel wool. He chose the former and from that day forward, problem solved.

Seems like the soldiers here are being taught a pretty tough lesson and I would agree, looks a bit too brutal.

Not sure what to make of the laughing, naked dog pile formation. I've been though 2 "initiations", one of which included, among many many other hazing acts over an 18 hour period, us performing a (clothed) simulated orgy, dry humping, etc. The second one many years later, was "tame" in comparison, but did involve me, among other events, on my knees in a chicken wire cage having eggs thrown at me. I remember thinking two things at the time. (1), "<deleted>, this sucks!" And (2), "Man! Glad they aren't hard boiled!" laugh.png

The soldiers get paid 9,000 baht/ month. As an actor, he was getting 500,000/ per month.

Net loss over two years 11,800,000 baht. I would also cry.

going to army is just a loss of time for artists !! there are so many people who actually want to do it so much.. let them do it and enjoy that and let others be productive in what they do better !

Oh poor poor rich boy. Boo hoo. Suck it up sonny boy!

He may be described as a "Thai-French superstar" but that doesn't mean he's a 'rich boy'. He might be, of course.

I think one year national service in any country for all is a good thing. Doesn't mean military options only. Could be all kinds of projects. It equalizes things if rich kids all have to serve too.

Something any good citizen should be happy to do.

Edited by Jingthing

Wow. He's handsome!

Thank you for making me laugh.

Back in France it would be considered a regular salt-of-the-earth peasantface.

He has not got a thing on Gerard Depardieu.

Good one......BTW depardieu surrendered his french citizenship for a home in russia....

While I agree with your sentiment I don't think the Thai army is the right institution to develop a kid into a man. Back where I grew up I did my compulsory military service gladly, and I would want my kids to do the same.

In Thailand I would actively discourage them.

i trained in the nz army reserves and it was a great experience but there is no way my half thai son is going into the thai army. he can serven in the nz army if he wants but even then as a parent i would prefer he didnt.

I think one year national service in any country for all is a good thing. Doesn't mean military options only. Could be all kinds of projects. It equalizes things if rich kids all have to serve too.

Some would say good citizens would vote NO to war on almost all occasions.....only YES if being invaded!

Some would say good citizens would vote NO to war on almost all occasions.....only YES if being invaded!

Right on! We will start conscription immediately upon being invaded...?

It's just utter bullshit to force someone into army for 2 years, even 1 hour is too much, let people who love weapons and fighting do it.. why do you want to force others?? really i don't get the point !

ho yes.. maybe they have to become real MEN.. i got it.. having a stick inside your ass or other humiliating practices could be a huge benefit for them !

What is a real man ?? surely not an army officer.. I think brains are most valuables than muscles !

Not only superstars feel the pinch, one close to me had to drop three languages studies and stay with electronic media for his UNI studies because where he was posted there was no language courses at the Uni, now what would do him better in future years, languages or electronic media , every second student is in electronic media, there is no need for conscription in Thailand the Generals have enough car detail , rice field workers , they don't want them , they have no interest in anything military, with an extra three hundred thousand being conscripted, the only conclusion one can deduct is Prayut wants as many UNI students in the military not out on the streets, that in itself could back fire with some fine tunning..............................................coffee1.gif .

Ali was a Muslim first and an American 2nd, or 3rd. Religion should not come before your country, rights or wrongs of the war aside, Ali was a disgrace.

Ali prime reason for his 'objection' was as he put it 'those yellow people haven't done anything to me'.........

Let's be truthful here,the whole vietnam war was based on a fear of communism.The south koreans were a big worry.....but hey,we can't

attack them-there to strong.Let's go after the vietnamese and stop this spreading.

As kenny Rogers put in a song........"It wasn't me who started that crazy asian war....but i went and done my patriotic chore"....

Edited by Nasrullah

Sorry if u don't follow!.........but the regular army should be well enough trained and armed for the situationsmile.png

Edited by Nasrullah

Brother of my mate's wife performed compulsory service in the Thai Army. Said it was 2 years of mostly walking around picking up rubbish off lawns and other janitorial engineering duties. My nephew lucked out last year and drew black, so wasn't forced to waste two years of his life.

My wifes nephew is currently doing his 2nd year of service as a houseboy for some General. Frigging stupid.

What a lucky boy if he wasn't chained to a car tire.

It's just utter bullshit to force someone into army for 2 years, even 1 hour is too much, let people who love weapons and fighting do it.. why do you want to force others?? really i don't get the point !

ho yes.. maybe they have to become real MEN.. i got it.. having a stick inside your ass or other humiliating practices could be a huge benefit for them !

What is a real man ?? surely not an army officer.. I think brains are most valuables than muscles !

Which a lot of generals nowadays have neither!..........

Note that I said national service. Not necessarily military service. For example, projects to help development in poorer regions, etc. Thailand obviously needs an armed forces. More than some nations, less than others.

Edited by Jingthing

Brother of my mate's wife performed compulsory service in the Thai Army. Said it was 2 years of mostly walking around picking up rubbish off lawns and other janitorial engineering duties. My nephew lucked out last year and drew black, so wasn't forced to waste two years of his life.

depend on the unit one is in.

some are doing nothing others have to work hard.

all armies in the world are the same with this.

regarding the guy ... hope he learn that there is more then nice looking, nail polish, manicure , refrigerants, and other city man stuff. probably he see it too and acts as a normal man. probably he bring the thai man back to be man.

Note that I said national service. Not necessarily military service. For example, projects to help development in poorer regions, etc. Thailand obviously needs an armed forces. More than some nations, less than others.

Yeah ok.....but to most countries,national service means military training..........

As for developing poorer regions......Nserviceman can help......but still the job of local government in the main

Sorry if u don't follow!.........but the regular army should be well enough trained and armed for the situationsmile.png

Unlike the US, budget constraints would mean a small body of regulars, usually a quarter to a third, with the balance being made up of reservists. And reservists are built up from conscription.