After some very good advice from Ubon Joe regarding my visa , i mentioned to a friend that when my visa is due in august that i will be going to Seim Reap for a trip so that i can get a further 12 mths on my visa. This person tells me that to get this extension i have to go
"outside" of Asia, in other words back to Australia for me .

Absolute nonsense !

As long as your visa is valid, leaving the country (to go anywhere including another SE Asian country) will result in you receiving 12 months permission to stay on return to Thailand.

True but land border officials might be more prone to not understanding how the O-A works.

So the OP needs to be very careful about examining the stamp and demanding a correction if it's wrong.

I don't think it's really correct to call this an "extension" either.

It's a one year multiple entry visa. So with ANY entry during the original visa validity period (and NOT AFTER!) you get an additional one year permission to stay.

LATER when you'll need to apply for annual extensions at Thai immigration, then those will be extensions.

Edited by Jingthing

No need to fly.

Maybe - there are some fairly ignorant land borders adjoining the Kingdom.

In fact with a junior IO at Phuket International he wanted to give me 90 days - until I appealed to the Boss Lady next to him.

No need to fly.

Maybe - there are some fairly ignorant land borders adjoining the Kingdom.

In fact with a junior IO at Phuket International he wanted to give me 90 days - until I appealed to the Boss Lady next to him.

That I agree with and I already stated there is a concern that the official may not be familiar with how an O-A works.

Just fly somewhere in the region and back before the "use by date" of the OA visa for 12 months more "permission to stay" stamp.

Thanks Baz, i will be flying BKK- SR-BKK.........no worries. Thanks to all the other replies, even the smug ones.

...i will be flying BKK- SR-BKK...

What is SR?

Maybe Siem Reap? ( In that case the code would be REP.)

I mentioned my intention to visit Siem Reap in my first post, so one would have to be a bit "thick" not to understand what i was talking about.facepalm.gif

It would be impossible to fly BKK -> SR -> BKK !

BKK is a recognised international AIRPORT Code but SR is not ( most who are not "thick" understand this)