Backpackers

HansBlinkers

^ The gates are all new, but not sure about the corners? They've been extended a bit in places, but the actual corners that sit in the water are old I believe?

Also age doesn't necessarily matter. For example a Buddha image made from plastic that was made yesterday still commands respect to treat it properly.

These of course are defensive structures, not religious ones. Still people respect them a lot of course, and are very much the core of Chiang Mai along with the city pillar.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

If they've caused damage then what they have done is disrespectful; if they've just slept on a wall... no harm done. Of all the many major and minor acts of sacrilege committed daily in this world; sleeping on a wall is not one of them. It does, however, give a bunch of self-righteous expats a chance to put the boot in anyway.

I doubt that it is really 'disrespectful,' but it certainly absurd. You can't just set up camp on city property without a permit. Otherwise every park in every city in the world would be filled with the tents of homeless people, indigent people, and of course travelers trying to avoid spending $5 a night for a place to sleep.

While I admire their pioneer spirit, and have lived in tents for months at a time while hiking in the US and Europe, anyone with sense knows that you need to find an out-of-the-way location, ask permission of the owners, and respect local laws. These people are either stupid or think the laws don't apply to them. Thailand seems to attract this sort of person.

^ The gates are all new, but not sure about the corners? They've been extended a bit in places, but the actual corners that sit in the water are old I believe?

Also age doesn't necessarily matter. For example a Buddha image made from plastic that was made yesterday still commands respect to treat it properly.

These of course are defensive structures, not religious ones. Still people respect them a lot of course, and are very much the core of Chiang Mai along with the city pillar.

All four corners were built by Chao Kawila at the beginning of the 19th century, so about 220 years old.

Look Chinese, possible Japanese.

Don't know what picture you were looking at but the one I saw only showed the back and tops of their heads. Do north Asians, sans Koreans, have some kind of peculiarity on the backs and/or tops of their heads

the rest of world doesn't?

Edited by Rob13

All four corners were built by Chao Kawila at the beginning of the 19th century, so about 220 years old.

He would probably have built on, extended or replaced whatever was left there at the time I suppose. Anyway, 220 years is a good run. ;)

clearly unacceptable behaviour by two individuals, however...

'backpackers. no words'

what is your point? are you suggesting all backpackers behave like this? clearly an absurd statement.

it's like saying all TV members are as judgemental and ignorant as yourself.

OK... in the middle of the night when the urge to defecate or take a whiz comes calling, what do they do?? Hose down the bricks?

They're probably between the ages of 5 and 50, and therefore able to sleep through the night without needing the toilet.

clearly unacceptable behaviour by two individuals, however...

'backpackers. no words'

what is your point? are you suggesting all backpackers behave like this? clearly an absurd statement.

it's like saying all TV members are as judgemental and ignorant as yourself.

It was just a stamtment of fact.

The prejudice you see come from your own head.

" it's like saying all TV members are as judgemental and ignorant as yourself."

+Irony

OK... in the middle of the night when the urge to defecate or take a whiz comes calling, what do they do?? Hose down the bricks?

They're probably between the ages of 5 and 50, and therefore able to sleep through the night without needing the toilet.

I thought it was just me. Do you also find that no matter how many times you shake the bloody thing, a few drops or a short stream still runs down your leg after he's put back in his cage?