What Visa to get?

My long time girlfriend called me and said I will be a dad in Novermber, hurray...

Now all our plans have changed, she is thinking of having the baby in Thailand, not the Philippines. Yes, she is a filipino.

My question is simple, I get up to 50 weeks leave with pay when the baby is born, what visa should I apply for to be in Thailand legally. I will also paid from my country so I have money to live there.

Better to live well in Thailand than skint in a cold nordic country...

Any suggestions regarding the visa?

Nothing really fits. You may be able to get a multiple entry tourist visa which, with border hops, would take you through 8-9 months.You could then get single entry tourist visas in neighboring countries to stay longer. A Thailand Elite visa, while rather expensive, would be the most convenient solution, but is really for those living multiple years in Thailand. There will also be a visa issue for your girlfriend, right? For her, it may be even more difficult.

Congratulations.

You may be able to get a single entry 90 day visa if you have the child's birth certificate, naming you as the father and a copy of the babies Tabian Baan., but you will not be able to get a long term visa (Check with your countries Thai Embassy/Consulate.)

Does your g/f have health insurance which will cover the costs of her confinement (Pre-natal care, birth and post natal care ) in Thailand?

• Like 1

We both lived together for several years while working at governemnt schools. She has all her papers in order, and money for the birth itself I am not worried about.

I left for us to set up here, but its expensive and takes time (I keep returning to see her all the time).

Would a two months tourist visa work, then just fly out and get another 30 days, then go to her parents in march-may and do it all over again?

We both lived together for several years while working at governemnt schools. She has all her papers in order, and money for the birth itself I am not worried about.

I left for us to set up here, but its expensive and takes time (I keep returning to see her all the time).

Would a two months tourist visa work, then just fly out and get another 30 days, then go to her parents in march-may and do it all over again?

You should have no problem in obtaining tourist visas. Each 60 day tourist visa is extendable by 30 days at an immigration office (1900 Bht)

"You may be able to get a single entry 90 day visa if you have the child's birth certificate, naming you as the father and a copy of the babies Tabian Baan.,..."

It sounds like you are incorrectly assuming the baby will be Thai.

OP, if you both worked at government schools, do you have Thai Social Security?

You can keep it and pay on your own (432 baht per month) if you were in the system for 12 months before quitting work.

Congrats.

"You may be able to get a single entry 90 day visa if you have the child's birth certificate, naming you as the father and a copy of the babies Tabian Baan.,..."

It sounds like you are incorrectly assuming the baby will be Thai.

OP, if you both worked at government schools, do you have Thai Social Security?

You can keep it and pay on your own (432 baht per month) if you were in the system for 12 months before quitting work.

Congrats.

DID you note the "MAY" ?

• A Multiple Entry Tourist Visa (METV) from your home country plus a 30 day extension of stay, followed by a SETV from a Thai Embassy/Consulate local to Thailand and a 30 day extension of stay will give you nearly 1 year.

The baby being born in Thailand doesn't help your visa options.

Thanks guys, it looks more and more as if I will do the METV, or the expensive elite thing.

Its all a bit much these days but I know it will work itself out and we will find a way. The baby will not be Thai, both me and mummy are foreigners and not interested in having a thai citizenship for the baby. Philippino and Norwegian will do.

• Like 1