Dependent children

We are planning on moving to Thailand later this year and I will be using the retirement stay option for long term stay with my wife and 2 school age children.

My question is will my children come under my long term visa as dependents or will they require a school visa?

In Malaysia they needed both visas to go to school. We are holding Australian passports except wife has a South Korean one.

Thanks in advance

Providing you have 12 month extensions from Immigration (not visa) your family can get the same extension as your dependents.

2.20 In the case of being a family member of an alien permitted a
temporary stay in the Kingdom under Criteria 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.5, 2.6,
2.7, 2.10, 2.12, 2.13, 2.14, 2.15, 2.16,
2.17, 2.21, 2.22, 2.26, or 2.29 hereof or Section 34(1) (2) and (7) including family of alien granted non-immigration visa which contains “A” letter at the end of visa code, (applicable only to parents, spouse, children, adopted children, or spouse’s children) except for Non-Immigrant code L-A:

(1) The alien must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).
(2) Must have proof of relationship.
(3) In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto: or
(4) In the case of children, adopted children, or spouse’s children, said children, adopted children, or spouse’s children must not be married, must live with the alien as part of the family, and must not be over 20 years of age except in case of the person hereof is of illness or disability and cannot live without support of father or mother: or
(5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must be 50 years of age or over.

Edited by Eclipse

Eclipse, thank you for the information.

For clarity, we arrive into Thailand with a tourist visa or a 30 day stamp and then apply for extension of stay based on being over 50, and as long as I fulfil the requirements a 12 month extension should be granted...correct?

For clarity, we arrive into Thailand with a tourist visa or a 30 day stamp and then apply for extension of stay based on being over 50, and as long as I fulfil the requirements a 12 month extension should be granted...correct?

You cannot apply for an extension of stay based on retirement directly from a visa exempt entry/tourist visa.

You will need an "O" visa entry to begin with. This can be be done by way of conversion in Bangkok or the visa can be obtained from Vientiane or Penang. You will have to meet the financial requirement for an extension of stay to obtain the visa (800K Bht in a Thai bank or certified evidence of an income of 65K Bht/month)

You should arrive with tourist visas which will allow you the time needed.

• Like 1

You cannot apply for an extension of stay based on retirement directly from a visa exempt entry/tourist visa.

You will need an "O" visa entry to begin with. This can be be done by way of conversion in Bangkok or the visa can be obtained from Vientiane or Penang. You will have to meet the financial requirement for an extension of stay to obtain the visa (800K Bht in a Thai bank or certified evidence of an income of 65K Bht/month)

You should arrive with tourist visas which will allow you the time needed.

Only the person doing the conversion to get a retirement extension can do the conversion at immigration. The family members would have to go to nearby embassy or consulate to get single entry non-o visas. Immigration cannot do visas for dependent extensions.

Johnatong, an "o" visa can only be obtained from outside Thailand? Or can it be obtained in Thailand? Cheers

It would be best to get the non-o visa for yourself and your family before traveling to Thailand.

If not you could do a conversion to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at Bangkok immigration and few nearby offices. But your family would not be able to do the conversion.