Batu Feringghi good for stay in Penang?

Hi, first at all not sure its right sub. forum, but guess its okay as its visa run to Penang.

Anyone stayed in Batu Feringghi? Would I be okay to operate from there ?

Some nice hotels and beach there I see on booking.com

Is there any shoping malls near by? (gf thing)

Thai consulate is in george town, how far it is in km, and how long taxi trip?

I stayed in George town once, dont want to go to the same place.

Heres some hotels, any feedback?

Thanks

http://www.booking.com/searchresults.en-gb.html?src=searchresults&region=996&ssne=Penang&ssne_untouched=Penang&error_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.booking.com%2Fsearchresults.en-gb.html%3Fsrc%3Dindex%26dcid%3D12%26label%3Dgen173nr-1FCAEoggJCAlhYSDNiBW5vcmVmaN0BiAEBmAEuuAEMyAEM2AEB6AEB-AELqAID%26sid%3Dd84628f03bf89b5bf76199a69baaa0f0%26si%3Dai%252Cco%252Cci%252Cre%252Cdi%26ss%3DPenang%252C%2520Malaysia%26checkin_monthday%3D10%26checkin_year_month%3D2016-5%26checkout_monthday%3D13%26checkout_year_month%3D2016-5%26sb_travel_purpose%3Dleisure%26room1%3DA%252CA%26no_rooms%3D1%26group_adults%3D2%26group_children%3D0%26genius_rate%3D1%26ss_raw%3Dpenang%26ac_position%3D0%26ac_langcode%3Den%26dest_id%3D996%26dest_type%3Dregion%26ac_pageview_id%3D4d842e43bf000064%26ac_suggestion_list_length%3D5%26ac_suggestion_theme_list_length%3D0%26tfl_cwh%3D1%26nflt%3Duf%253D4292564199%253B&dcid=12&label=gen173nr-1FCAEoggJCAlhYSDNiBW5vcmVmaN0BiAEBmAEuuAEMyAEM2AEB6AEB-AELqAID&sid=d84628f03bf89b5bf76199a69baaa0f0&si=ai%2Cco%2Cci%2Cre%2Cdi&ss=Penang&sb_travel_purpose=leisure&checkin_monthday=10&checkin_year_month=2016-5&checkout_monthday=13&checkout_year_month=2016-5&room1=A%2CA&no_rooms=1&group_adults=2&group_children=0&genius_rate=1&highlighted_hotels=&highlighted_hotels=&track_skfs=1&track_sas=1&tfl_cwh=1&nflt=uf%3D4292564199%3B

Have not been there in 15 years and never stayed overnight but it was not my cup of tea. Dirty water on beach can be found anywhere and in Thailand they are much better. Just some hotels on beach with little to do and a long way from anything. Perhaps good for a honeymoon but not so good for shopping or seeing anything or eating out. Expect like most hotels in Malaysia very overpriced compared to Thailand. Believe GF will be happy in Georgetown for shopping and nice old city ambiance.

Frankly there are better beaches around Asia but it's not a bad place. It used to be quite a blast 'back in the day'.If you walk West away from the hotels to the big rock and a little beyond, the little cove there makes a nice place to sit and feckle the missus away from prying eyes....

The bus from Ferringhi takes about 20/30 mins into Georgetown to KOMTAR, then down Jalan Penang around the docks and then up Chulia, taxi a little less time for around a steep 30/40RM.

I'd also say check out Georgetown which is one of Southeast Asia's gems, while you can. If reports are true that the local officials have given developers the green light to destroy the place, then time could be running out as much as UNESCO scream, they can't fight the money men.....sad.png

I'd also highly recommend the Malay/Indian food at Nasi Kandar (formerly Jasmeen on Jalan Penang, turn left at the top of Lebuh Chulia).

Batu Feringghi is a poor man's Goa...nothing to recommend it. In Malaysia the real secret is to stay in Chinese neighborhoods and if possible in Chinese owned hotels/guesthouses. You can tell by the Chinese lanterns hanging in the entryway.

Penang can be a gem if you look at it correctly. The Georgetown heritage area is great for walking and touristic activity but I would not stay there...aside from the architecture....just a soulless area.

If you want a great evening place to eat and drink and see some entertainment, go to Red Garden Paradise only open after 6 PM. A great outdoor food plaza with diverse selection (everything from Malaysian to Chinese to Middle Eastern) and free show (singers, dancers) every night. Beer is cold and cheap and gthe food is plentiful.

Red_Garden_Paradise.jpg had to go search for it as was unfamiliar with the name. probably walked through there at least twenty times, day and night. never felt the need to stop. never bought any thing. each to his own. did inquire about stuff on a couple of occasions.

Well thanks for the news ...perhaps it is not enough like Soi Cowboy for you ?

Red_Garden_Paradise.jpg had to go search for it as was unfamiliar with the name. probably walked through there at least twenty times, day and night. never felt the need to stop. never bought any thing. each to his own. did inquire about stuff on a couple of occasions.

remember walking halfway down soi cowboy once long ago was out of the place in under 15 minutes. didnt go back. lived in bkk on and off for decades.

that place in penang. no just not for me. didnt like the people didnt like the prices didnt like the atmosphere. prefer to buy take away from somewhere and eat it in the park at the cnr of penang road and chulia. roti canni, samoosa, burger, tropical fruit, non-alcohol drinks, etc.

Edited by fatdog 702 inches

remember walking halfway down soi cowboy once long ago was out of the place in under 15 minutes. didnt go back. lived in bkk on and off for decades.

that place in penang. no just not for me. didnt like the people didnt like the prices didnt like the atmosphere. prefer to buy take away from somewhere and eat it in the park at the cnr of penang road and chulia. roti canni, samoosa, burger, tropical fruit, non-alcohol drinks, etc.

You eat in parks because its cheap. What's with comment about non alcoholic drinks? Another reason Penang is such a boring place is that you can pull into a certain area or cafe and they not serve booze. Religion thing. Good for them. Boring place Edited by jacksam

You eat in parks because its cheap. What's with comment about non alcoholic drinks? Another reason Penang is such a boring place is that you can pull into a certain area or cafe and they not serve booze. Religion thing. Good for them. Boring place
they have this issue with eating and ordering a drink in restaurants. if you dont order the crap drinks they have on offer, coke sprite coffee tea etc, the deliberately put crap in your food that will make you unwell to say the least. convenience stores have a much better array of drinks so that where i prefer to buy and hence i also dont eat in their restaurants. cheaper yes veg samoosa veg roti not expensive. yeah in thailand i eat in restaurants and eat meat. not so in penang. take a wander through chow kit market on penang road,early morning and you will be a vegetrian for the whole stay. halal in action. recent renovation may have changed the scene but am not going look see. will stick with the diet i use in penang only Edited by fatdog 702 inches

I just came back from there. I stayed in Batu Feringghi for about three weeks. Then went into Georgetown for 3 weeks. Easy to get around. Prices go up on the weekends and holidays. Batu Feringghi doesn't have much. Unless you like bird watching. The park is pretty nice.

Personally I liked Georgetown better. If I wanted to go to Batu I hopped a bus. GREAT Food.

Malaysia is not cheap IMO. I knocked around from Georgetown to Frasiers Hill, Cameron Highlands(great place to visit) all along the coast.

Have fun.