Accident Story

ljd1308

Be happy that the freak didn't drive faster. I almost got killed driving my own pick up to work at 6 am in the morning when a speeding and red light doing pick up hit me sideways and pushed my car many meters away. i was unconscious for a few hours, had serious injuries at my spine, broken ribs and various wounds that needed stitches.

The hospital i was brought to didn't even make one x-ray and i was sent home? I couldn't even sit on the back of a motorbike, so a worker from the hospital offered us to take me the 400 meters home for 500 baht only.

It took two more hospitals to find out how serious my injuries were. My car was redone twice, as the first garage didn't do a good job.

Would my wife have been with me, she would have been squeezed out. It took 18 months to get my car back and i guess it's useless to talk about the severe pain i had and all the circumstances.

Once the car was done, we took a shortcut to my wife's village and got hit by an airborne motorcycle, a Honda CBR 150.

I saw the bike in the air heading towards my windshield could hit the brakes and my front bumper absorbed a lot of energy.

Nothing is impossible here when you ask me. Drive safe. -thumbsup.gif

And there seems to be no recriminations for whoever is at fault, atleast you seem to be ok now.

I have had no issues on my few visits to hospitals though, so it just seems overall I got luckier than you smile.png

Time heals....

The cops may have done you a favor by not doing a breathalyzer test on the truck driver. If he were to be over the limit his insurance wouldn't cover the damage. Then it is up to you to sue him in court to get the money, or if you have first class insurance they will cover it but your premium may go up the next year.

If its anything like the rest of the world, the insurance company would pay the damage, and sue the drunk driver.

Just looking to vent more than anything and share my experience....

We went to go to one of the islands today and went to Sattahip to get the ferry(myself, my wife, 2 kids, a friend and his wife(heavily pregnant)), getting up at 6am and leaving home at 7am.

So we were having a nice drive down there and in a relatively narrow street close to the pier we got stuck in a bit of traffic, as we were sitting there not moving i noticed a truck approaching from a side street. As the truck got closer to the intersection(and the side of my car) the girls in the back pointed out he was getting a bit close(driving slowly), so i beeped when he got to within about 10cms. Unfortunately this did not stop him and he just kept driving his truck into the front passenger window of our car and only stopped when the trucks bumper was about level with my passengers shoulder(he was virtually on my lap at this stage).

Now, he finally realised he was slowly crushing people to death and reversed........ Unfortunately once he did that he decided to drive forward into the car a second time, this time hitting the rear passenger window. In both instances the glass began to shatter(not completely as it was safety glass) onto first my friend and then my 3 year old daughter and his trucks bumper came 10-20 cms into the car completely ruining both doors and windows.

As you can imagine I was rather irate at this stage, but managed to take a breath and calm down a little bit before confronting the truck driver who just smiled and laughed....obviously that wound me up more, so my wife stepped in to deal with it.

The police were soon on the scene and luckily enough there was a police camera there and as soon as the driver realised that he confirmed what we said and called his insurance. I asked the police if he had been drinking(he looked like it) so they verbally asked him and he said no, that was the end of that.

We then all met at the police station and signed the insurance paperwork and then the police let us all go home(us driving a car with no windows and him in is truck).

Everyone is ok and the car is getting picked up this afternoon for repair so all is well that ends well, but.......

1 - He didn't even apologise to any of us, my 2 kids were covered in glance, bawling and too scared to get back in the car....but still he couldnt just say "Sorry"

2 - Hitting us once in those circumstances, it happens especially here in Thailand. But, when he reversed, adjusted slightly and did it again!?!?! Surely he should have been charged with something, reckless/careless/negligent driving?

3 - I think he was deaf, that is the only excuse not to hear the horn when i beeped it and he always leant in quite close and had people repeat when they were speaking. I know he had his license, but is there any follow up testing for elderly drivers here(he would be close to 70)? I think in Australia you need to retest every 3 years or so after 65(i'm not 100% sure as i am a way off that age yet)

Ps. As I am sure it will be brought up, I am fully licensed here(Australian License, Thai License and IDP), fully insured and taxed.

It is thailand what do you expect.

The Australia part of it you are so wrong no one gets tested at a old age .

We went to go to one of the islands today and went to Sattahip to get the ferry(myself, my wife, 2 kids, a friend and his wife(heavily pregnant)), getting up at 6am and leaving home at 7am.

So we were having a nice drive down there and in a relatively narrow street close to the pier we got stuck in a bit of traffic, as we were sitting there not moving i noticed a truck approaching from a side street. As the truck got closer to the intersection(and the side of my car) the girls in the back pointed out he was getting a bit close(driving slowly), so i beeped when he got to within about 10cms. Unfortunately this did not stop him and he just kept driving his truck into the front passenger window of our car and only stopped when the trucks bumper was about level with my passengers shoulder(he was virtually on my lap at this stage).

Now, he finally realised he was slowly crushing people to death and reversed........ Unfortunately once he did that he decided to drive forward into the car a second time, this time hitting the rear passenger window. In both instances the glass began to shatter(not completely as it was safety glass) onto first my friend and then my 3 year old daughter and his trucks bumper came 10-20 cms into the car completely ruining both doors and windows.

As you can imagine I was rather irate at this stage, but managed to take a breath and calm down a little bit before confronting the truck driver who just smiled and laughed....obviously that wound me up more, so my wife stepped in to deal with it.

The police were soon on the scene and luckily enough there was a police camera there and as soon as the driver realised that he confirmed what we said and called his insurance. I asked the police if he had been drinking(he looked like it) so they verbally asked him and he said no, that was the end of that.

We then all met at the police station and signed the insurance paperwork and then the police let us all go home(us driving a car with no windows and him in is truck).

Everyone is ok and the car is getting picked up this afternoon for repair so all is well that ends well, but.......

1 - He didn't even apologise to any of us, my 2 kids were covered in glance, bawling and too scared to get back in the car....but still he couldnt just say "Sorry"

2 - Hitting us once in those circumstances, it happens especially here in Thailand. But, when he reversed, adjusted slightly and did it again!?!?! Surely he should have been charged with something, reckless/careless/negligent driving?

3 - I think he was deaf, that is the only excuse not to hear the horn when i beeped it and he always leant in quite close and had people repeat when they were speaking. I know he had his license, but is there any follow up testing for elderly drivers here(he would be close to 70)? I think in Australia you need to retest every 3 years or so after 65(i'm not 100% sure as i am a way off that age yet)

Ps. As I am sure it will be brought up, I am fully licensed here(Australian License, Thai License and IDP), fully insured and taxed.

I actually checked after i typed that and you do get tested at an old age in Australia, though I got the ages wrong.

Over the age of 75 you have a medical assessment every year to ensure you are able to drive and over 85 you take a driving test each year.

I actually checked after i typed that and you do get tested at an old age in Australia, though I got the ages wrong.

Over the age of 75 you have a medical assessment every year to ensure you are able to drive and over 85 you take a driving test each year.

Ok most of just come in.

But at 85 years of age I would not want to be driving around.

And as you know and I know the drivers here are sh?t , so you just have to put up with it , like what happened to you I can understand how you feel but you and I will not change how it is here .

Until the thai people and the thai government want to change it , it will not change.

Ok most of just come in.

But at 85 years of age I would not want to be driving around.

And as you know and I know the drivers here are sh?t , so you just have to put up with it , like what happened to you I can understand how you feel but you and I will not change how it is here .

Until the thai people and the thai government want to change it , it will not change.

Yeah i know, I always expected to have some accident here.....still a shock when it happened

Purposely driving into a vehicle filled with Farangs is not a crime in Thailand...more of a sport...

Saying sorry would have been hypocritical...the chap can hardly wait to tell his gambling friends what he did so all can have a good laugh...

Being mean-spirited and threaten seems to be the flavor of the day...

This is Thailand...enter at your own risk...

Wow that truck driver is lucky he crashed into such nice people. When a similar thing happened to us (drunk van driver drove into us while we were standing still at red light) my wife was on him in 2 seconds and I ultimately had to separate them by lifting them both up and holding them in the air until the police arrived. It was quite a day...