Free Entry to National Parks for Thais on ‘Family Day’

rooster59

Most of the national parks are quite boring anyway, my garden is much more fascinating and its free 365 days of the year.

Utterly subjective and facile comment that says more about the poster than the issues involved

Name us a good one then, all the ones I have been to are as described and certainly not worth being gouged for on the entrance fee

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Most of the national parks are quite boring anyway, my garden is much more fascinating and its free 365 days of the year.

Utterly subjective and facile comment that says more about the poster than the issues involved

Name us a good one then, all the ones I have been to are as described and certainly not worth being gouged for on the entrance fee

Yet another poster who fails to realise how facile the initial premise is in the first place "a good one" - what on EARTH do you think you are talking about???

....and if you think I'm going to tell you which National Parks are my favourites, and have someone with your attitude spoiling my stay? You've got to be joking.

Edited by cumgranosalum

Depends on what you want from a NP ?? http://www.thaibirdspot.com/#!kaeng-krachan/c14z8

It doesn't make you ''a Thai'', but it does make you legally Thai and so you would get in for free.

You'd think that'd be true, wouldn't you.

However, I remember reading a post on here - quite a few years ago now, so don't ask for a reference - from a naturalised Thai citizen who was denied Thai-price entry to some attraction or other, despite presenting his Thai ID card and maybe other documentation, because he was not ethnically Thai, whatever that is. Maybe others remember this, too.

I have always been looking for Made in NW Europe, USA and Thailand when I buy stuff. But I gave up the Made in Thailand quite some time ago.

I sent the following to Thai Airways on the 31st of March and still no answer

Dear Thai Airways

I’m a business class passenger and Thai gold card member. Can you please answer me why I should continue to use your service? I’m a foreigner and I have to pay much more than Thai people when I visit your national parks, museums etc. It is what I call a scam from you!

So I really would appreciate a few reasons for me to continue using Thai Airways. And especially after the news about “Soldiers given police powers of arrest, search and seizure” and “Govt critics risk 1 month 're-education' Army boss says recent detentions a 'warm up'” kind of alarming news since a long time back.

And how do I know that you are not pricing me as a foreigner when I buy a ticket with Thai Airways? I have been in the business class department several times when all of the sudden there are several “new” passengers just showing up with Economy tickets

I use other airlines from now on even though it means some inconvenient stop overs. I will gladly come back when you have put my worries straight again

You have good points here but some of these things like prices of national parks....Thai airways don't control those things...

And foreigners with Thai families?

Why am I even bother to ask.

If foreigners with Thai families cant be arsed to get citizenship then of course they should have to pay. Most can't even be bothered to attempt to integrate judging on the Thai language level of many I've met. If you want to live as an outcast take the consequences.

Agreed.

I accept that I live in Thailand with an Australian passport and will happily take my family to the national park and happily pay my way.

I remember living near Darra in Brisbane which is a huge Vietnamese community. All tight knit, could not speak English, but Vietnamese friends said all these people did was complain, complain, complain about Australia.

If you don't like it. Go home.

"If you don't like it. Go home." - anyone who uses that phrase is clearly unaware of how facile and cliched it is, which in turn kind of collapses any argument they thought they had.

I know you are, but what am I?;)

If foreigners with Thai families cant be arsed to get citizenship then of course they should have to pay. Most can't even be bothered to attempt to integrate judging on the Thai language level of many I've met. If you want to live as an outcast take the consequences.

Agreed.

I accept that I live in Thailand with an Australian passport and will happily take my family to the national park and happily pay my way.

I remember living near Darra in Brisbane which is a huge Vietnamese community. All tight knit, could not speak English, but Vietnamese friends said all these people did was complain, complain, complain about Australia.

"If you don't like it. Go home." - anyone who uses that phrase is clearly unaware of how facile and cliched it is, which in turn kind of collapses any argument they thought they had.

Fine then. If you prefer to leave your own country to call Thailand home and then take pleasure in complaining about it day in and day out until you become a bitter and twisted old man then go for it.

I would prefer to enjoy my adopted home without the bitterness and the day I am complaining about it everyday tells me that I will have a better life elsewhere. (unless I enjoyed complaining all the time)

Each to their own though and I assume you will be at home complaining while I am at the national park enjoying time with my family in my adopted country.

Thanks for your reply.

Agreed.

Fine then. If you prefer to leave your own country to call Thailand home and then take pleasure in complaining about it day in and day out until you become a bitter and twisted old man then go for it.

I would prefer to enjoy my adopted home without the bitterness and the day I am complaining about it everyday tells me that I will have a better life elsewhere. (unless I enjoyed complaining all the time)

Each to their own though and I assume you will be at home complaining while I am at the national park enjoying time with my family in my adopted country.

Thanks for your reply.

Enjoying the National park at 10 times the standard entrance price? Because you don't have citizenship, isn't it.

Indeed some people never complain, they prefer to live with the blinkers on.

Edited by TheCruncher

Amen to that Johhny.

I'll pop on down to the citizenship kiosk and grab me one, Do you want me to grab one for you whilst Iam there ?

Agreed.

Thanks for your reply.

Enjoying the National park at 10 times the standard entrance price? Because you don't have citizenship, isn't it.

Indeed some people never complain, they prefer to live with the blinkers on.

We have two options in Thailand. We can complain and nothing will change or we don't complain and nothing will change. I prefer the later. Seems that you prefer the former which is fine.

If it made a difference I would be complaining too, but it doesn't make a difference in Thailand as I am not a citizen and life to too short to complain about something that you cannot change. I have a young family in Thailand and they do not need to see their father complaining about everything that happens in the country they were born in. Best they see me looking on the bright side of life and seeing the positives Thailand offers me.

You see racism and unfair treatment of foreigners. I see an opportunity to take my Thai family to the national park for free as opposed to usually having to pay for them.

Thanks agin for you reply. It is these differing opinions coming together that make this a great forum.

He pay double price as usual, and no free entrance for Thais who are accompanied by falang since he always pay for them.

Then the following day everyone can pay to see all the garbage that these Thai families leave behind! Naturally, that garbage will remain until it disintegrates since there is no one to clean the place nor trash bins to put trash in.

Where did that one come from? Certainly not from the experiences that I have had within many of Thailand's National Parks. They are the cleanest places I have been in Thailand, there is litter, but if you get up early enough then you will see the staff picking it up, and there are bins, that is just nonsense, even at the top of mountains that take hours to ascend there are bins and staff who climb everyday to empty them. Perhaps you have only been to some of the bigger more popular parks like Khao Yai, where they see groups of hundreds of school children and the unfortunate litter that they create (more the teachers poor ethics than anyone else in my opinion), but obviously if there was no one to clean up after them then there would be an awful lot of litter, but there isn't, the most you will see is the litter from that day and perhaps a little that they missed from the day before. So please tell me, which parks have you seen a litter problem, I have been to many, three within the past two weeks, all very clean, loads of bins, litter pickers out in force every morning at sunrise.

The issue is overcharging. So? The answer is simple, don't go! Nature is everywhere, you don't have to go to a national park to enjoy it!

Amen to that Johhny.

I'll pop on down to the citizenship kiosk and grab me one, Do you want me to grab one for you whilst Iam there ?

If you met the criteria you could but I bet you don't but don't assume that nobody does. You have to invest 10 million, be an executive officer and owner of the business, have a degree, married to a Thai, earn at least 50,000 and then the fee is 200,000, and then there is also a quota of 100 people per nationality per year, there are never enough applicants from any Western countries who meet the criteria and who want it so that is not an issue for most of us. And anyway, do you want to give up your current citizenship? There are no duel citizenship's for Thailand. You might note that no countries hand out citizenship to any old person who wants it, they have to want them.

The issue is overcharging. So? The answer is simple, don't go! Nature is everywhere, you don't have to go to a national park to enjoy it!

You do if you have a slightly higher appreciation of nature than you do. Your garden, are you actually for real? Can I see the whale sharks there, the elephants, the loris, how about the rhinoceros or the kouprey? It's funny, but a collection of imported flower species are not actually what I am looking for when I go camping around Thailand fantastic parks, and paying about the same as the price of a beer for it actually seems like good value to me, have fun in the garden, I'm off to see some real nature this afternoon. Horn-bills and osprey yesterday, who knows what I will see today.

Wow! This guy really takes the biscuit.....I just can't figure how someone who understands so little feels he can in all honesty post on this thread.

Many places outside of Thailand have dual pricing for parks, zoos, and museums. The rational policy is one price for Residents (who pay taxes regardless of nationality) and a higher price for Non-Residents. A higher price would be 50 to 100% higher.

As long as the Thais insist on perceived nationality and a price differential of 10 times, the park pricing will be viewed as unfair price gouging.

Edited by phoenixdoglover

Erawan, Khao San Roi Yot, Phang Nga, Khao Sok, Mu Ko Similan, there are so many incredible parks difficult to choose which ones to name, most of which cost a staggering 100 baht for foreigners. It actually makes me laugh that so many people complain about the "price gouging" at the parks, which remain clearly very affordable, while happily paying double the going rate for a beer to sit next to another foreigner in a bar! It is just something for the moaners to moan about, never mind you can always stay at home and leave the parks to the likes of us who don't mind forking out 100 baht for an amazing day out.

Amen to that Johhny.

If you met the criteria you could but I bet you don't but don't assume that nobody does. You have to invest 10 million, be an executive officer and owner of the business, have a degree, married to a Thai, earn at least 50,000 and then the fee is 200,000, and then there is also a quota of 100 people per nationality per year, there are never enough applicants from any Western countries who meet the criteria and who want it so that is not an issue for most of us. And anyway, do you want to give up your current citizenship? There are no duel citizenship's for Thailand. You might note that no countries hand out citizenship to any old person who wants it, they have to want them.

Yeah I dont meet the criteria as I cannot sing the national anthem.

Amen to that Johhny.

You also have to sing the national anthem word for word, hand on heart in a police station cheesy.gif

I think the issue here is "Family day". If we had a family day in The UK I would hope that even Non UK nationals with UK families would be included in the rule. Hell, if it is a NATIONAL holiday everyone in the nation, native or not, should be included.

But hey I am just a dreamer...

Agreed.

They cant be citizens if they don't speak English. Must be a very large illegal Vietnamese community in Brisbane then..lol

I remember the Chinese asking us to put in Chinese signs for parking areas, as they always get infringement notices and got laughed at by the locals.

Amen to that Johhny.

So you are an executive of a Thai company with assets worth more then 10 million then? I would have thought the national anthem would be easy for someone of you caliber, it's really not difficult to learn a short song, any five year old can do it.

Amen to that Johhny.

You also have to sing the national anthem word for word, hand on heart in a police station cheesy.gif

I think the issue here is "Family day". If we had a family day in The UK I would hope that even Non UK nationals with UK families would be included in the rule. Hell, if it is a NATIONAL holiday everyone in the nation, native or not, should be included.

It's not a rule I would have introduced, but if you are looking for another laugh, check out the UK Englishness test, for some reason they think that prospective applicants of UK citizenship should know what the ratio is of English to Scottish people, what year all people got the vote, even what you should do should you accidentally spill someones drink in the pub! Unfortunately this sort of craziness is the world over, nothing Thai about it. And learning the national anthem is actually OK with me, it demonstrates two things, that the applicant is making an effort to learn the language and that they are patriotic to their new country, I would have thought that was obvious.

And what is so wrong about a national holiday for nationals anyway? You might note that it nothing to do with "natives" at all, there will be plenty of native Thai's who have chosen to accept a different citizenship and exempted themselves from this very very small benefit.

We have two options in Thailand. We can complain and nothing will change or we don't complain and nothing will change. I prefer the later. Seems that you prefer the former which is fine.

If it made a difference I would be complaining too, but it doesn't make a difference in Thailand as I am not a citizen and life to too short to complain about something that you cannot change. I have a young family in Thailand and they do not need to see their father complaining about everything that happens in the country they were born in. Best they see me looking on the bright side of life and seeing the positives Thailand offers me.

You see racism and unfair treatment of foreigners. I see an opportunity to take my Thai family to the national park for free as opposed to usually having to pay for them.

Thanks agin for you reply. It is these differing opinions coming together that make this a great forum.

You are quite right there Jamie, good for you.

I ask you what are you teaching your kids about the junta and its actions?

Yeah, because everyone with a YOUNG family is teaching them about politics, aren't they? Sad stuff.

Love threads like this when they bring out the apologists defending discriminatory pricing.

Do you also fight for the rights of the Swiss and the Japanese not to pay MORE than their tourists or is it only when it is not in your favor?

Thank you generalissimo Surasak for expressing your deep appreciation of foreigners who feed you for a large part,

and exclude them from a once a year freebee.

THEY ARE THE SMALL THINGS THAT COUNT.

This small thing doesn't count for much for many I can assure you. I was in a park yesterday, by far the majority of the visitors were of European decent, the dual pricing is not putting off tourists, perhaps a few cheap charlies who would happily drink a beer priced more than the foreigner entrance ticket, but not the intelligent clientele that frequent the parks on a regular basis, they are happy to help subsidize the upkeep. And foreigners contribute a SMALL part to the economy not a large part, about 8.5%, farming and manufacture feed Thailand's economy not a load of moaning ex-pats, thanks.

Amen to that Johhny.

It's not a rule I would have introduced, but if you are looking for another laugh, check out the UK Englishness test, for some reason they think that prospective applicants of UK citizenship should know what the ratio is of English to Scottish people, what year all people got the vote, even what you should do should you accidentally spill someones drink in the pub! Unfortunately this sort of craziness is the world over, nothing Thai about it. And learning the national anthem is actually OK with me, it demonstrates two things, that the applicant is making an effort to learn the language and that they are patriotic to their new country, I would have thought that was obvious.

And what is so wrong about a national holiday for nationals anyway? You might note that it nothing to do with "natives" at all, there will be plenty of native Thai's who have chosen to accept a different citizenship and exempted themselves from this very very small benefit.

You mean Thais that have gone to say the UK and picked up British citizenship (which despite some silly rules to acquire, pales in significance to the hoops of fire you need to jump through here) came back to visit and went to a national park that they would then have to pay? I very much doubt that, the park staff would see that they are ethnically Thai and let them in anyway, but the foreigner living here for decades with a Thai family still has to pay? And yes I know it is a small amount but it is the principal of the thing.

It should be for the nation to enjoy and that includes people living in it even if they aren't ethnically from that nation.

You mean Thais that have gone to say the UK and picked up British citizenship (which despite some silly rules to acquire, pales in significance to the hoops of fire you need to jump through here) came back to visit and went to a national park that they would then have to pay? I very much doubt that, the park staff would see that they are ethnically Thai and let them in anyway, but the foreigner living here for decades with a Thai family still has to pay? And yes I know it is a small amount but it is the principal of the thing.

It should be for the nation to enjoy and that includes people living in it even if they aren't ethnically from that nation.

The "principle" is to subsidize poor Thai nationals by charging people who CAN afford to pay a little more, it is not a bad principle when you consider what it actually is. What principle did you think it was?

As for Thai's losing their citizenship, it is unlikely but of course possible that they would be charged more, and I really doubt that any but the idiotic would care in the slightest after returning from such a larger economy, we are talking the price of a pint in Thailand.

Amen to that Johhny.

So you are an executive of a Thai company with assets worth more then 10 million then? I would have thought the national anthem would be easy for someone of you caliber, it's really not difficult to learn a short song, any five year old can do it.

Why would I need to be an executive of a Thai company ?

Maybe you should educate yourself on the requirements to obtain citizenship.

Have a read here.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/19731-thai-citizenship-requirements/

Edited by Don Mega