Thai actor faces defamation, Computer Crimes complaint over Naka Noi Facebook post

rooster59

Thai actor faces defamation, Computer Crimes complaint over Naka Noi Facebook post

Darawan Naknakhon

post-247607-0-76165800-1460209839_thumb.

Charnwit Kitlerdsiriwattana (right), the 65-year-old Managing Director of Phukhaohokluk Co Ltd, and fellow main Phukhaohokluk Co investor Jessada Thawthip (centre) filed the complaints at Thalang Police Station yesterday (Apr 8). Photo: Darawan Naknakhon

PHUKET: Thai celebrity actor Puri Hiranprueck has had criminal complaints filed with the police against him for defamation and breach of the Computer Crimes Act for his Facebook post earlier this week that claimed armed men had brought machinery onto Naka Noi Island to clear forest.

Charnwit Kitlerdsiriwattana, the 65-year-old Managing Director of Phukhaohokluk Co Ltd, and fellow main Phukhaohokluk Co investor Jessada Thawthip filed the complaints at Thalang Police Station yesterday (Apr 8) at 11:30am.
Phukhaohokluk Co Ltd claims to own the 24 rai of land on Naka Noi Island that Mr Puri claimed was endangered. The company’s claim, however, is under investigation by the Department of Special Investigation (DSI), following a complaint filed by Mr Puri in December. (See story here.)
tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-04-09

I would really like to share few ideas about Thai legal system, but I can't, as I still live here.

I'd also like to know what is considered legal today, but I'm afraid to ask, as it might be illegal, simply to ask.

This country is destroying itself much faster than expected.

It seems unlikely to me that anyone has a legitimate land ownership claim on that island, or any other small island. Maybe it would be best to investigate thoroughly all such claims and clear these islands, returning them to their original states.

I dont really see how it is defamation. Can anyone explain?

If you write anything that causes damage to anyone's business or reputation you can be prosecuted. It doesn't mater AT ALL if what is written is true with cast-iron evidence to support it. Thainess at its best.

I would really like to share few ideas about Thai legal system, but I can't, as I still live here.

I'd also like to know what is considered legal today, but I'm afraid to ask, as it might be illegal, simply to ask.

This country is destroying itself much faster than expected.

I'd also like to know what is considered legal today...

If you would’ve asked – what is legal and for whom? The answer wouldn’t take so much space.

If you write anything that causes damage to anyone's business or reputation you can be prosecuted. It doesn't mater AT ALL if what is written is true with cast-iron evidence to support it. Thainess at its best.

So that speaking the verifiable factual truth, unless it is a "complimentary" truth, is a crime in Thailand. (If you speak about someone who has the wealth/power to use the law).

The same principle applies to the expression of opinions.

Edited by Enoon

So that speaking the verifiable factual truth, unless it is a "complimentary" truth, is a crime in Thailand. (If you speak about someone who has the wealth/power to use the law).

The same principle applies to the expression of opinions.

That goes without saying

"I'd also like to know what is considered legal today, but I'm afraid to ask, as it might be illegal, simply to ask"

My guess is that you are correct. The defamation law doesn't care about truth or not. Even the truth can be hurtful. To even question legal/illegal in Thailand is defamationistic towards law makers in the country.