Could sham marriages in Thailand be enabling foreign criminals?

webfact

Close the majority of the language schools or only give an Ed visa if working on a degree. Raise the age of retirment visas to 62. ......That would see a mass exodus.

Why 62 ?

It used to be 55, but 62 is a strange number ?

I guess you are in your early 60's ?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Close the majority of the language schools or only give an Ed visa if working on a degree. Raise the age of retirment visas to 62. ......That would see a mass exodus.

Close the borders for all white faced and long nosed Baksidas. Problem solved.

Well, they make work permits overly complicated, they took away double entry visas and they now enforce deportation for immigration. Did no one think foreigners would go the marriage route?

I guess we can expect more stringent rules for people applying for extensions based on marriage. And when I say more stringent, I mean you must have more money.

"And when I say more stringent, I mean you must have more money."

If you're already in the system and legitimately married to a Thai woman and have a family involved, I doubt very much anyone needs to worry. It's the wide boys that have "loadsamoney" in some of the more popular resort areas that need to be careful.

I had a neighbor in the UK whose mum was a career Immigration Officer for the Home Office. I was talking to him about my experiences and concerns before getting my wife's first UK visa. He told his mum and she said stop worrying. She reckoned they can spot the sham marriages or ones that require close scrutiny in the first couple of minutes. I'm sure that's the same for Immigration Officers all over.

Some do get through of course but usually get found out sooner or later.

If you've been getting extensions from the same office, married for some time, with a permanent address and children, then the officers know all that. Many are much more aware than some posters give them credit for. They've seen the tricks and no what to look for.

Edited by Baerboxer

Well, they make work permits overly complicated, they took away double entry visas and they now enforce deportation for immigration. Did no one think foreigners would go the marriage route?

I guess we can expect more stringent rules for people applying for extensions based on marriage. And when I say more stringent, I mean you must have more money.

one would not be a problem for the Mafias and the Drug Lords and the Scammers at all. Easy to get a gullible Isaan girl with a mother sending her to find a farang as long as he has a ATM Card for the buffalo, pickup, new house and then a piece of land for fruit trees or rice paddy etc. If lucky, a shop thrown in too for the noodle stall for the old girl.

An Immigration officer told me at the beginning of March that he had already arrested about 20 people living in sham marriages. Racist bit coming up: he mentioned Uganda, Nigeria and a couple of other countries in that region. Buriram province.

He is right there are hundreds ! if not a few thousand. What a deal for Isaan and other areas- money upfront PLUS the perks house,pickup and more and no need or obligation to offer "services".Good contract can be struck and we ALL know it is the MONEY that comes first and foremost EVERY time.Down and out backpackers on a shoe string are not in demand. MUST have ATM !!

This has got nothing to do with criminals in Thailand and everything to do with being able to stay in Thailand legally long term. I am 43 years old and have lived here for 3 years using a combination of visa exemptions and double entry tourist visas. I have been with my girlfriend for just as long and we are now going to get married earlier than planned in order for me to continue living here due to them eliminating the 2 entry tourist visas and scrutiny on visa exempts. I am not a criminal. In my 43 years i have only been arrested once when I was 14 for having 1/2 a gram of hashish. I don't work in Thailand as I don't need to, but also don't like wasting money on things like Thai Elite. I worked hard and invested and saved so I could retire and enjoy myself when I turned 40 which is exactly what I plan on continuing to due whether it be in Thailand or elsewhere.

If things continue with immigration giving all foreigners a hard time. Living elsewhere may be a better option than marrying a woman you don't love and perhaps she is only with you for the money or, future chance at your money. Try the Philippines. Their visa system is a lot easier and cheaper with less demands for documentation to stay a long time. They also have beautiful, sexy, attentive young ladies at your disposal. Just don't go to far south. Everywhere else is just as good as here.

....Apart from the typhoons and higher gun homicde rate than the USA.

"150 Thai women in just one district of a northeastern province had recorded marriages to foreign men in the last few months alone"

sounds like a very successful introduction and marriage service to me,any one have a link?

Funny picture. Western men got kicked in the behind by Western women so they traveled across the seas to get wives here?

None of the Thai wives I've had here were married to me.

you too,mine where all called mrs rightforthenight.

An Immigration officer told me at the beginning of March that he had already arrested about 20 people living in sham marriages. Racist bit coming up: he mentioned Uganda, Nigeria and a couple of other countries in that region. Buriram province.

Similar statements from an Immigration office only 150 km away. But these guys weren't just "forging" a marriage, or Bachelor degrees.

Most of them were caught after having sex with minors, when they're teachers at several schools.

Similar statements from an Immigration office only 150 km away. But these guys weren't just "forging" a marriage, or Bachelor degrees.

Most of them were caught after having sex with minors, when they're teachers at several schools.

<deleted>!! More rubbish about other Westerner's! Edited by casualbiker

65+

With at least a few million $ in the bank

Actually make that few million in the bank a requirement for any and all visas.... No exceptions if they really "need" to get rid of this blight of farang scum... :)

After that, we will see how many people still want to abuse the education visas by being a fake student or a fake teacher..

65+

Actually make that few million in the bank a requirement for any and all visas.... No exceptions if they really "need" to get rid of this blight of farang scum... :)

After that, we will see how many people still want to abuse the education visas by being a fake student or a fake teacher..

And just how would that stop the fake teachers and fake students trying to stay here? For that matter, what do your replies have to do with a Marraige Visa which, this article is about. Making any of the changes you mentioned have absolutely no affect on Marraige Visa holders.

It is also a pointless comment about the money requirements because their are agencies all over the country that would be happy to deposit money in your account for a fee until you get your visa.

Was on a wp before but married now on a retirement visa and still married. Maybe this will be too confusing for them to investigate.

Was working got married, still happily married, on a retirement extension and not working. ***** thumbsup.gif

65+

And just how would that stop the fake teachers and fake students trying to stay here? For that matter, what do your replies have to do with a Marraige Visa which, this article is about. Making any of the changes you mentioned have absolutely no affect on Marraige Visa holders.

It is also a pointless comment about the money requirements because their are agencies all over the country that would be happy to deposit money in your account for a fee until you get your visa.

Raise it up to 5 or 10 million a year (dollars, not baht obviously)

Make It so the money gets locked in a Thai bank account and cannot be withdrawn while the visa is still valid.... Overstay or other crimes would get appropriate jail and also automatic forfeiture of the deposit...

How many of your sham companies will work around that?

Seems like some very easy solutions to get rid of all the wasters if that's what this is really about...

Dont you have to proof your marriage with photos, interviews, witnesses and even home visits to get a year extension?

Yes, if they went by the book. However, a lot of corruption and laziness on the officials are to blame for their inaction in following all of the rules. So they will just take it out on the foreigners. When I applied for my visa they came to the house and talked with neighbors and spoke to the family and looked around. It's not hard to see if a foreigner lives there. We accumulate much more valuable things than a Thai would and have many conveniences that Thais don't care about.

They will take it out on all foreigners because no foreigner is different to them. In their eyes, you're either Thai or you're not. Doesn't matter if you speak the language, are married, have kids, and everyone in the village seems to like you. Reality is, you're still just a foreigner.

Curious to see how they are going to come after the retirees once they are done with the married lot. ED and Tourist visas have already been dealt with. All it will take is 1 elderly person here on a retirement visa to break the law and a "crackdown" will be in order.

Best of luck to everyone. The visa situation here is silly, and is probably going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

65+

Raise it up to 5 or 10 million a year (dollars, not baht obviously)

Make It so the money gets locked in a Thai bank account and cannot be withdrawn while the visa is still valid.... Overstay or other crimes would get appropriate jail and also automatic forfeiture of the deposit...

How many of your sham companies will work around that?

Seems like some very easy solutions to get rid of all the wasters if that's what this is really about...

Sorry, but those who have 10 million they could tie up in a Thai bank wouldn't be wasting their time living in Thailand unless they were feeding an addiction. You would be living in a proper tropical nation where you could have a nice car you could drive without motorbikes slamming into the back of you, a nice (well built) home, be free of garbage and pollution, and living around people who actually don't despise you.

When you have a Thai Government employee in Udon who was busted selling women's information that foreigners can use to obtain visas, yes.

A year ago a woman went to get a marriage license and she was told she was already married.

Many foreign men now go to Malaysia to marry just for visas.

If a foreign criminal wanted to stay somewhere safe and without the b/s immigration rules by marrying a local why would they do this in Thailand? Immigration for a married person still requires proof of income just like a retirement visa. If they wanted to do it simply they would go to Brazil and do a Ronnie Biggs. The police and immigration don't care about your history if you marry a local! Mind you, if the bird kicks you into touch you have to be out of the country within 7 days.

The horrible truth is that criminals who want to use Thailand as a bolt hole to continue their criminal activities must definitely find the marriage extension an extremely convenient way of staying in the country indefinitely, particularly if they are too young for a retirement extension. Having a Thai wife also allows them to buy land and own a business which could be useful as a front for illegal activities and for money laundering purposes. Most embassies don't require any proof when you apply for the piece of paper that certifies you are free to marry. So it must be quite easy to commit bigamy and get married to a Thai bar girl without divorcing a wife overseas.

However, I would guess that the vast majority of applicants for marriage extensions are perfectly legit gents, living honestly on a pension from back home. The foreign criminals usually pay bribes to Thai officials to be able to continue their activities undisturbed. I suggest that the authorities conduct a purge on corrupt police and other officials who facilitate foreign and Thai criminals as the first priority.

Edited by Dogmatix