Anyone know who can fix a Nokia / Microsoft Phone?

JayBird

I have a Nokia Lumia 1520. Nokia is gone so they can't repair it, and MSFT says they don't support it anymore. Even tho its only a couple years old.

Walking around MBK/IT Malls/etc. I usually get a 'what is that?' look or 'no' for queries about repairing it.

Tried a web site online in Bangkok and he said they don't fix MSFT phones and good luck finding someone :P

So, anyone got an idea of someone who actually does handle this mythical beast of a phone?

Thank you kindly.

Nope. I even talked to Microsoft Tech Support directly and they said they no longer support it. The service center no longer supports it. It would have to be a third party outlet.

I suspected from the list that they were 3rd party outlets. Seems to be an address in many provinces.

this guy at ASOK has been recommended by some, but I do not have personal experience. Still you might want to give it a try. he is a Dutch obviously.

http://www.drsmartphone.net/en/

Yup, gave him a try. He said no. And he said it would be hard to get any support in Asia for that phone :)

I thought of buying a new one, but nothing better that *I* want. (It's still a darn good phone, just needs a bit of repairing and I don't want to try to do it myself).

Any other suggests? :)

I just had a quick scoot of eBay UK and there's loads for sale from £1.20 and up.

That's probably your best choice or a new 640 if you can live with a slightly smaller screen.

What's actually wrong with it? If it's a broken screen, they're readily available on Lazada.

My cheap charlie friend wanted desperately to get a smartphone

in Sydney and one day proudly showed off his Nokia Lumia 1520

the same as yours, he kept boasting and showing off, we all got

Samsung and a few Apples (no carrots) today his phone is old

and worthless while ours are still going strong.

To Jaybirtd .

What is wrong with your phone ? I have a 1320 .....no problems yet but I'm sure that once it goes wrong will have to move to Android phone since microsoft don't seem to care much whether they sell phones or not.

Hi Whatever you do don't buy Msft phone I bought a new 950 and there is no support for that or parts .I ve had a lot of nokias and they're ok but y

I went with Nokia because it was Nokia (and used to have Nokia Care Centers here in Thailand). But after the mobile division was acquired by MSFT, the care centers went missing. I'm not thrilled by the 950 or the 950 XL (the hardware doesn't feel right). But I do like the MSFT OS (my entire ecosystem is MSFT base so it makes sense for me to stick with it).

Although every day I look at the likes of HTC or Huawei and feel the build quality on it, and I'm tempted to switch.

The reason I don't know is there is no decent Windows based upgrade available. (No desire to switch away from Windows yet).

Sadly my MSFT Band is busted too, and I have to pay more in shipping to get it repaired than to buy a new one :P

To Jaybirtd .

What is wrong with your phone ? I have a 1320 .....no problems yet but I'm sure that once it goes wrong will have to move to Android phone since microsoft don't seem to care much whether they sell phones or not.

Case cracked slightly by the USB port. Now it has 'ghost fingers' that are touching the buttons for 'back' or 'search'. Which is very irritating as it results in the phone constantly hitting back or search while i'm using it... then getting confused. Turning off/on the screen resets it for a few seconds but it happens again. I try bending/pushing the edges to try and make the problem go away and sometimes buy 30 minutes or so like that, but would like a better problem.

I'm thinking of buying a replacement case on aliexpress and fixing it myself, but would rather have a 'pro' do it

MBK would be the best bet in BKK, but since you've been there already I would say Tukom in Pattaya if you ever go down there. Some of the small repair shops on the upper floors might be able to fix it.

Yes, I may be down there in a month or two and just wander around holding my phone out crying: Who will fix my beautiful phone?

Hi Whatever you do don't buy Msft phone I bought a new 950 and there is no support for that or parts .I ve had a lot of nokias and they're ok but y

I went with Nokia because it was Nokia (and used to have Nokia Care Centers here in Thailand). But after the mobile division was acquired by MSFT, the care centers went missing. I'm not thrilled by the 950 or the 950 XL (the hardware doesn't feel right). But I do like the MSFT OS (my entire ecosystem is MSFT base so it makes sense for me to stick with it).

Although every day I look at the likes of HTC or Huawei and feel the build quality on it, and I'm tempted to switch.

The reason I don't know is there is no decent Windows based upgrade available. (No desire to switch away from Windows yet).

Sadly my MSFT Band is busted too, and I have to pay more in shipping to get it repaired than to buy a new one :P

HTC make (made?) a WP.

I'm in the same boat as many. The WP had so much potential but it looks like MS is dropping the ball and I've gone totally Andriod now. A pity really.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

To Jaybirtd .

Case cracked slightly by the USB port. Now it has 'ghost fingers' that are touching the buttons for 'back' or 'search'. Which is very irritating as it results in the phone constantly hitting back or search while i'm using it... then getting confused. Turning off/on the screen resets it for a few seconds but it happens again. I try bending/pushing the edges to try and make the problem go away and sometimes buy 30 minutes or so like that, but would like a better problem.

I'm thinking of buying a replacement case on aliexpress and fixing it myself, but would rather have a 'pro' do it

If the parts are reasonably priced, why not give fixing it yourself a try?

Have you looked at this?

I may have to resort to buying the parts myself and either giving it a go or seeing if I can find a shop willing to do it tongue.png Shame one has to resort to this for a 'flagship' phone from one of the biggest tech companies in the world only a couple years after buying it :(

Edited by JayBird

• 11 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 2:08 AM, qaviz said:

Can you please share the main issue happen in your phone? If your device is under warranty, the experts obviously fix it. But if the warranty period is gone than you have to fix it with your own efforts by taking some guidance from internet, Nokia Lumia 1520 Manual, forum postings etc. 

Yup, that's what I did.  The problem is that the 1520 is not an easy to fix phone.  But I managed to repair it sufficiently for now  (turned out the SD card in the SD slot was causing a teeny tiny bit of pressure on the casing which was causing it to bend every so slightly in the opposite end of the phone which was causing the touch screen to think it was being activated which it wasn't).

Pulled out the SD card, now everything is fine :)

• 2 weeks later...

Nokia are a disgrace. I bought a Nokia X2 and the original battery became swollen so I bought a replacement from Aliexpress (only place I could find one) and the same thing happened after a couple of months. Yes, they used to produce some functional and durable little mobiles in their day but they totally lost the plot and started pumping out crap. Now everyone is getting excited about their new Android phones that are actually made by a Chinese company and are no better than what's currently on offer from Huawei at the same price. Give up on these clowns!

• 8 months later...

JayBird

Yeah, I have had great luck with the Nokia 930 Icon...great phone. I also bought a Microsoft Lumia 950---just a piece of crap.

I've read many blogs and MS doesn't support it. You write MS and return your phone for $200 USD or somesuch.

If you do a Google Search on all the Lumia 950 faults (hardware, software, SD card issues, photos not storing properly...photos disappearing, etc)....the main solution is to give up and buy a new iPhone!

Sad yet true....there's rumours about a "Surface Phone," but meanwhile, Apple iOS mops the floor and becomes the dominant platform.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2017 at 1:22 PM, burgdawg said:

JayBird

Yeah, I have had great luck with the Nokia 930 Icon...great phone. I also bought a Microsoft Lumia 950---just a piece of crap.

I've read many blogs and MS doesn't support it. You write MS and return your phone for $200 USD or somesuch.

If you do a Google Search on all the Lumia 950 faults (hardware, software, SD card issues, photos not storing properly...photos disappearing, etc)....the main solution is to give up and buy a new iPhone!

Sad yet true....there's rumours about a "Surface Phone," but meanwhile, Apple iOS mops the floor and becomes the dominant platform.

Android is the dominant platform.

• 2 weeks later...

Android dominant platform? Each to his own. I had many top of the line Android/Google phones given to me---just pieces of crap imho. Kludgey. Poor OS quality.

Many steps just to snap and mail off a photo, no thanks.

Dunno about now but early iterations of Android (3-5 years ago), it was impossible to load up languages on an Android phone. You could not "just install." You had to do a re-root with possibility of bricking your phone.

Help yourself.