Moving to Chiang Mia - advice on banking procedures please

Tib6005

The UK government pension can be paid direct to your Thai bank account free of charge to permanent residents.However you will forego any future increments.

The Bangkok bank service is very good but the the charge is 25 GBP from London and 500 baht local for sterling transfers.

I have used HIFX twice ...uk to NZ then NZ to Thai some years later...

Brilliant on both occasions .much superior exchange rates both times.. compared to normal clearing banks (Nat west and Asb ).... Only fee was Bkk bank 600 bht fee to accept electronic baht deposit into my ac ...B'stards... As they didn't actually have to do anything ... !

Yep they are banksters here too...,! Same same...

Bangkok Bank... In my local branch staff had better English language skills... When I opened my acs here imho... And it had to be local bank as they charged for non branch ATM's usage... Even same bank... different branch

Edited by Robm579

Open a HSBC Account, in the UK. They charge £4 per transfer online definitely the cheapest

Where are you getting the quote of £4 per transfer from HSBC from. Even a premium account holder with an a/c in BKK with HSBC will not get that rate. £4 is the fee for HSBC SEPA payments (ie inter euro exchanges).

Open a HSBC Account, in the UK. They charge £4 per transfer online definitely the cheapest

Where are you getting the quote of £4 per transfer from HSBC from. Even a premium account holder with an a/c in BKK with HSBC will not get that rate. £4 is the fee for HSBC SEPA payments (ie inter euro exchanges).
the last two times ive transferred money from my uk hsbc branch to my thai Bangkok branch, ive only been charged 4quid charges.

The minimum price of transfer on the above link is £15!

Exchange rate applied

Pounds Sterling converted to Thai Baht using the London Branch's exchange rate

Pounds Sterling converted to Thai Baht using the daily TT buying rate at Bangkok

Transfer fees (Bangkok Bank London branch)

GBP 15

GBP 20

Transfer fees (Bangkok Bank Thailand)

No transfer fees

An additional international fee of 0.25% of the transferred amount will be deducted by Bangkok Bank Thailand before crediting funds to recipient account (minimum 200Bt, maximum 500Bt).

the last two times ive transferred money from my uk hsbc branch to my thai Bangkok branch, ive only been charged 4quid charges.

I have just deleted a comment I made re £4 fee as I have just found a quote on line at HSBC for £4. I will look at it in more detail before further comment! Sorry for doubting the 2 posters who quoted £4!

Edited by scottiejohn

Hello True Blue,

I've just found the information on HSBC's website regarding the £4.00 transfer fee. This sounds great. If I've read correctly, they transfer in local currency. Is the exchange rate fair and do you get a further charge from the receiving bank ? It also appears that this can be for any type of Bank Account with HSBC - it doesn't have to be a Premier Account ?

Thank you for your help.

Hello True Blue,

I've just found the information on HSBC's website regarding the £4.00 transfer fee. This sounds great. If I've read correctly, they transfer in local currency. Is the exchange rate fair and do you get a further charge from the receiving bank ? It also appears that this can be for any type of Bank Account with HSBC - it doesn't have to be a Premier Account ?

Thank you for your help.

just make sure you transfer (Gbp)TO THAILAND once set up on line it takes about two minutes to start procedure,and its generally in your thai bank account the next day,and if you have set up I BANKING with Bangkok bank they will sms your mobile when money arrives. Edited by true blue

Hello True Blue,

Thank you for your help.

the exchange rate is the daily TT rate think today is about 49.80