Single entry visa expires on the 14th, it's holiday so immigration is probably closed

Single entry visa expires on the 14th, it's holiday so immigration is probably closed

Hi there,

My single entry visa expires on the 14th of April. That is Songkran so the immigration office is probably closed. Not sure if they open again until Saturday or Monday, so it could be a few days.

Will they charge me an overstay if I show up at their office the first day they are open?

Or will they not since it was not possible to apply for extension during Songkran?

BP

What visa have you got ?

If you have a tourist visa an extension could have been applied for last week !

Immigration is closed as from tomorrow will open again on Monday ------- expect it to be very busy.

You will not be fined if you apply for the extension on Monday.

Not always wise to leave things until the last moment.

• Like 2

You do not have to wait for your 60 day entry from a tourist visa to end to apply for a 30 day extension. You can do it it early and loose no days.

You can do it on Monday the 18th when immigration is open again and you will not be fined for an overstay. After Monday you will be fined 500 baht for everyday your are late.

You do not have to wait for your 60 day entry from a tourist visa to end to apply for a 30 day extension. You can do it it early and loose no days.

You can do it on Monday the 18th when immigration is open again and you will not be fined for an overstay. After Monday you will be fined 500 baht for everyday your are late.

a) Ah, really? So even if I apply for an extension a week before expiry I would not loose any days because they add 30 days counting from the expiration day and not from application day, correct? I did not know that, if correct.

b ) So you and the other guys are saying that immigration will not charge/stamp overstay if I apply on the first day they are open again which would probably be Monday, correct?

If possible please confirm. Thanks for all the advice.

If I pass through this time I will probably apply a week in advance next time.

Edited by GoGet

a ) yes, no days lost

b ) yes

which would probably be Monday

It WILL be open and very busy on Monday. Set the alarm.

Next time will mean after leaving the country and entering wit a new visa or visa exempt.

One 30 day extension only.

Edited by KhunBENQ

a) Ah, really? So even if I apply for an extension a week before expiry I would not loose any days because they add 30 days counting from the expiration day and not from application day, correct? I did not know that, if correct.

b ) So you and the other guys are saying that immigration will not charge/stamp overstay if I apply on the first day they are open again which would probably be Monday, correct?

It is correct.

Even though mine is a visa exempt entry and not a tourist visa the same applies for both.

I applied on March 31st even though my visa didn't expire until April 3rd and received my exention until May 3rd.

post-253837-14604663268875_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rayk
  • Like 1

1. Yes. Day 1 of a 30 day extension is the day after the current permit to stay expires. So if your stay expires on the 14th then day 1 of the 30 will be the 15th.
  2. Yes. As long as you apply on the first day they re-open there will be no charge for overstay.

Ok. I will go to immigration today just to be sure that Monday is the first day they open. I will also take a picture of the opening days on the table at the front door for the record. Thirdly, I will try to update this thread after visiting on Monday just to confirm that everything went smoothly. Keep cool in the heat guys and your advice is much appreciated.

Ok. I will go to immigration today just to be sure that Monday is the first day they open. I will also take a picture of the opening days on the table at the front door for the record. Thirdly, I will try to update this thread after visiting on Monday just to confirm that everything went smoothly. Keep cool in the heat guys and your advice is much appreciated.

It will be a wasted trip if you go today.

Today, tomorrow and Friday are public holidays. Immigration offices are closed on all public holidays and weekends.

• Like 1

Just wondered if anyone can shed light on the whole extention thingy...I understand visa's, stay of entry but the extensions seem odd...some non B's are getting 7 days only while some tourists are getting 30 days...anyone? Happy to read about it if anyone can propose a sauce...cheers and Sawasdee Pi Mai tukฯ tan ?

Just wondered if anyone can shed light on the whole extention thingy...I understand visa's, stay of entry but the extensions seem odd...some non B's are getting 7 days only while some tourists are getting 30 days...anyone? Happy to read about it if anyone can propose a sauce...cheers and Sawasdee Pi Mai tukฯ tan ?

A tourist or visa exempt entry can be extended for 30 days based upon tourism.

In order to extend a non immigrant visa (non-b, O, ED and etc) entry requires a proven reason to get an extension. That is why a denied application for an extension gets you 7 days to leave the country.

Extensions to stay are granted subject to various conditions. If an extension of stay is rejected, immigration, at they discretion (but in practice invariably) give you 7 days to leave the country. This is not, technically, an extension. The 30 day extension available for tourist entries is not available for non immigrant entries. Thus, someone looking for a 30-day tourist entry extension after entering on a Non B visa will have the extension request denied, but be given 7 days to leave the country.

I have criticisms of the Thai visa and immigration rules, but this is one of its better features.

I have done extensive research on this matter. I cannot find anywhere that you will not be hit with overstay if your overstay is because of a public holiday. An overstay is a overstay. True, some immigration offices may forgive you, but, there is always the risk, unless my research proves wrong. The big risk is if you get caught in the interim period, then its off to the monkey house.

• Like 1

I have done extensive research on this matter. I cannot find anywhere that you will not be hit with overstay if your overstay is because of a public holiday. An overstay is a overstay. True, some immigration offices may forgive you, but, there is always the risk, unless my research proves wrong. The big risk is if you get caught in the interim period, then its off to the monkey house.

It is one of those immigration rules or policies that cannot be found from an internet search.

We can only provide what is known from many years of posts on this forum that immigration will not charge a fine for overstay if a person applies for the extension on the first day they are open after a holiday or weekend. I don't recall a report of anybody be fined by immigration if they went on the first day.

The risk is low of being caught with the overstay before immigration opens again. Normally though it is only a day or two before the office opens again. I suspect if caught during a holiday or weekend they probably would let a person go.

If you leave the country with an overstay you will be fined regardless of public holidays because the border is always open. However, an extension of stay can be applied for on the last day of a permit to stay, and if the office is closed Immigration allow the person to apply on the next working day without penalty, if they qualify for an extension.

It is very unlikely that someone would be sent for deportation with a short overstay in a situation like the OP's. The main concern would be getting taken for a bribe from the BIB if they found someone on overstay.

Absolutely right. I once overstayed my visa for 1 day. It expired on a Sunday and on Monday I reported to immigration in Udon and asked for an extension. Extension was granted but still I had to pay 500.- THB for 1 day overstay. I tried to be Mr. Wise Guy and told the immigration officer that it was not possible to come on time because the immigration office is closed on Sundays. The officer, a very helpful and nice lady, put on her nicest smile and replied:"Well, if you know that the office is closed on Sunday why didn't you come 2 days earlier on Friday? Overstay 1 day, 500 Baht!." Well, she was right and I paid.

I'm awfully sorry Ubonjoe. I'm sure you're right, but it doesn't necessarily happen like that. End of January, I needed a 30 day after the expiration of my 60 days. I have always gone out of the country and so it was my first experience with CM Immigration. After all the horror stories on TV I was in a panic. Decided to go to Promenada with the free transport on the Thursday to spy out the land. Met a friend who was going for his 90 days, several weeks earlier than necessary. More about him later.

I went the next day the Friday, about 8. My due date being the Monday. There were loads of people. Immigration was 20 mins late in opening. I was in /out and back to CM before 10.

BUT the most important and relevant to this OP, is that on the paper they took the date of the day I went. So at the end I was on 2 day overstay and had to pay the 1000. Just because I went earlier than the due date. I spoke to the lady there and she kept saying 'date day, date day.'

I met the abovementioned friend and he told me the same thing, that he had lost a couple of weeks.

"BUT the most important and relevant to this OP, is that on the paper they took the date of the day I went. So at the end I was on 2 day overstay and had to pay the 1000. Just because I went earlier than the due date"

Nonsense !

If this really happened then post scans of the stamps in the passport.

You must have OVERSTAYED the permission to stay date stamped clearly in your passport if you were fined !

There is no 'fine' for asking for an extension of stay early.

I'm awfully sorry Ubonjoe. I'm sure you're right, but it doesn't necessarily happen like that. End of January, I needed a 30 day after the expiration of my 60 days. I have always gone out of the country and so it was my first experience with CM Immigration. After all the horror stories on TV I was in a panic. Decided to go to Promenada with the free transport on the Thursday to spy out the land. Met a friend who was going for his 90 days, several weeks earlier than necessary. More about him later.

I went the next day the Friday, about 8. My due date being the Monday. There were loads of people. Immigration was 20 mins late in opening. I was in /out and back to CM before 10.

BUT the most important and relevant to this OP, is that on the paper they took the date of the day I went. So at the end I was on 2 day overstay and had to pay the 1000. Just because I went earlier than the due date. I spoke to the lady there and she kept saying 'date day, date day.'

I met the abovementioned friend and he told me the same thing, that he had lost a couple of weeks.

The Immigration officer can count wrong easily, you have to check your Passport stamp and advice the officer if you think he made a small mistake. rolleyes.gifthumbsup.gif

Your friend? I have no ideas with 90 days regulations. whistling.gif

Absolutely right. I once overstayed my visa for 1 day. It expired on a Sunday and on Monday I reported to immigration in Udon and asked for an extension. Extension was granted but still I had to pay 500.- THB for 1 day overstay. I tried to be Mr. Wise Guy and told the immigration officer that it was not possible to come on time because the immigration office is closed on Sundays. The officer, a very helpful and nice lady, put on her nicest smile and replied:"Well, if you know that the office is closed on Sunday why didn't you come 2 days earlier on Friday? Overstay 1 day, 500 Baht!." Well, she was right and I paid.

Aha. Most people seem to be saying that it is likely that in my case immigration will grant the 30 day extension on Monday without asking for overstay fee. I accept your story and that what you are stating happened to you. Yet, I hope that in my case the majority will be correct and that the probability will be high for a successful application without overstay fee.

• 6 months later...
On 4/14/2016 at 4:39 PM, GoGet said:

Aha. Most people seem to be saying that it is likely that in my case immigration will grant the 30 day extension on Monday without asking for overstay fee. I accept your story and that what you are stating happened to you. Yet, I hope that in my case the majority will be correct and that the probability will be high for a successful application without overstay fee.

Hello GoGet,

Can you share your experience? Did you succeed to get the 30 days extensions when going on the 18th of April and without overstay fine?

I just sent you a PM. If you can reply me. Thanks.

Regards,

Vincent