Arriving Sunday!

DavidOxon

Hi guys, I'm arriving Sunday for my first ever visit to LOS - excited but a little nervous too!

Gonna be in Lamphun sting at my GFs mothers house for a couple of weeks before heading down to

Samui for a few days and flying back!

I'd like to get a feel for the place, and this includes the ex-pat side of life.

Where's a good place to meet Brit's out and about . . Pub porbably, but which

one is popular and when's a good time to go? (I'm a young 40 something)

I'd also like to get a feel for a Moo Bahn where there's a mix of Farangs and Thais,

is an estate agent the best for this?

We haven't made any definite plans yet (as I've never been to LOS before) but

are thinking we might want to settle in the area, so any places that are on the

'must see-do' list would be gratefully received.

Many thanks . . .

David (and Jup)

Welcome to LOS David. :o

I am not very familiar with Lamphun, to my knowledge there are not as many ex-pats as are in Chiang Mai there.

Anyway, the most important thing is you will be with your Girlfreind, I am sure you will start to meet people when you go out and about

The weather is great here now, so you are gonna have a good time.

Enjoy :D

PS:Lamphun is a Poster here on Thai Visa so he will probably be able to answer your queries

Another poster, Niteowl, lived and taught in Lamphun for a year (in amphur muang, the city), and now lives in Hang Dong. From what he says, there aren't many farang there, and one's a German. It's a big town and easy to reach from south Chiang Mai on the superhighway. But if by "Lamphun" you mean the entire province, its capital is in the far north corner, and places like Li and Mae Ta are quite removed from Chiang Mai.

Not much to do in Lamphun, but fortunately it's a really quick trip to Chiang Mai. You can easily do it on your on moped / motorbike / car if you rent one in Chiang Mai. But public transport is available too, best I guess would be a bus from the bus station, because the converted-pickup songthaews take a while and then some.

Good pubs with Brits in Chiang Mai.. (Harder to find a pub WITHOUT Brits actually. :o

* Mad Dog on Moon Muang road South of Thapae Gate

* Queen Victoria Inn (new place, better for the food than for company)

* Cosy Corner just South of Thapae Gate

* Red Lion on Loi Kroh Road NORTH of the Night Bazar road

* O'Malley's at Anusarn Food market

Then there's loads of small beer bars around Thapae and the lower (moat) end of Loi Kroh, and also further up Loi Kroh towards the Night Bazar.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Actually, I meant Chiang Mai! Anywhere good for live music (preferable western modern style - beatles onward etc).

Not just interested in western stuff, but GF n family will know where all teh local thai stuff is happening.

David

> nywhere good for live music (preferable western modern style - beatles onward etc)

Brasserie I guess, a bit later in the evening.

Earlier in the evening on weekends they often have live western music at the Irish Pub (on Ratwithee Road) and The Riverside Pub & Restaurant.

The area of little reggae style bars in the soi behind the Irish Pub also has live Western music, especially if you count reggae, Santana etc as being that. :o

Also check another discussion in this ChianG Mai forum about clubs & nightlife.

Cheers,

Chanchao