Six injured in THAI flight during air turbulence over Singapore

webfact

There are some rather silly comments on here.

Clear air turbulence is very much a part of flying in SEA & in many places easy for the pilot to just try to move out of it.

However, over & around Singapore sometimes due to traffic they have no where to go.

As to pilots in this region not having experience this is just garbage.

All have training in the simulator on one of the the worst turbulence flights ever,, a flight by Singapore Airlines some 14 years ago

from Bangkok to Singapore which was horrific. No major injuries as strict instructions by pilot that no one was to move around cabin

No drinks or meal served & one junior stewardess who unbuckled to close overheads was told on no uncertain terms by the Purser to

return to seat & buckle up

Another really bad one also was Singapore Airlines to Perth from Singapore. When a Thai pilot saw the passengers disembarking

from this flight & was unable to change his flight plan up to Bangkok he delayed his midnight departure for a day flight some 10 hours later. It was a smart move as far as I am concerned.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me guess, the fasten seat belt signs came on and this person was probably one of those who thought it didn't apply to them. I have been on flights during rough turbulence, cabin crew have strapped themselves in and some numbskull gets up and starts going threw the overhead locker. This not only endangers thier safety but other passengers and cabin crew who have to get up to get the idiot back into thier seat.

Nailed it.

After all, we're talking about a culture where rules of any kind are seldom heeded and even more infrequently enforced.

Let me guess, the fasten seat belt signs came on and this person was probably one of those who thought it didn't apply to them. I have been on flights during rough turbulence, cabin crew have strapped themselves in and some numbskull gets up and starts going threw the overhead locker. This not only endangers thier safety but other passengers and cabin crew who have to get up to get the idiot back into thier seat.

Nailed it.

After all, we're talking about a culture where rules of any kind are seldom heeded and even more infrequently enforced.

If 6 crew were injured then they weren't strapped in. Which means hardly any warning and that the passengers were not as stupid as you'd like to think.

Sometimes TV posters are not too bright.. in reply to several dumb comments.

The plane in the picture is quite clearly a twin isle plane so probably a 777

The "blood" on the seat looks more like a spilled glass of red wine or fruit juice onto an empty seat to me.

To have 72 passengers on a big plane just before a national holiday is not unusual as business passengers have stopped

The 12 crew have to fly whether the plane is empty or full. They are in a place on their schedule, they have to fly so they are in the right place for their next flight or to take their vacation or compulsory rest time in the right place. There are also strict international safety rules about the crews on each size of plane... must have enough crew to operate doors etc in an emergency.

Having lived in Asia for 20 years, I can assure you that Thai has no more than average problems with turbulence... I have flown over 1,500 times in Asia and every company has bad flights ... we choose to live in a hot part of the World with many different land masses and seas ... that make turbulence !

avge 75 flights per year? just with asian flights. did you ever have your feet on terra firma?

a post about turbulence on an airplane ........turns into a debate about airplane seating configuration and then into a debate about coke/ tomato juice/red wine stains and then about how the PM ( love him or hate him ) affects the numbers of passengers on a plane.

TVF members sure know how to hijack a post

i remember flying over germany in '42, flak coming at all angles, lost port wing and half our tail. hit turbulence over emden and freefalled for a couple 'o thousand feet. that really upset all of us, but we all got back safe, except the kites resident dog who was jettizoned over denmark (it was a german shepherd).....but we all agreed we never wanted to hit turbulence like that again....frightening.

I experienced sudden turbulence on a flight once when I was inside the toilet , I was afraid my last time had come while I was trying to poo. I almost "missed the target". bah.gif

• 2 weeks later...

a post about turbulence on an airplane ........turns into a debate about airplane seating configuration and then into a debate about coke/ tomato juice/red wine stains and then about how the PM ( love him or hate him ) affects the numbers of passengers on a plane.

i remember flying over germany in '42, flak coming at all angles, lost port wing and half our tail. hit turbulence over emden and freefalled for a couple 'o thousand feet. that really upset all of us, but we all got back safe, except the kites resident dog who was jettizoned over denmark (it was a german shepherd).....but we all agreed we never wanted to hit turbulence like that again....frightening.

First of all, congrats on not just making it through that alive, but still remembering that it happened.

First of all, congrats on not just making it through that alive, but still remembering that it happened.

There I was, upside down at 40000 feet, nothing on the clock but the makers name, and that was in Japanese, when..........

Do you think we could get Chang to sponsor this thread?

smile.pngsmile.png

The plane depicted in the picture in not a 777 who has 3 rows of seats, more likely a 737 variety....

but for the local repotting the incident it's close enough.....

It's a wide body, twin aisle ie NOT a 737. Likely 777 as reported

they use a 777 or A330 for that trip.

The plane depicted in the picture in not a 777 who has 3 rows of seats, more likely a 737 variety....

but for the local repotting the incident it's close enough.....

It's a wide body, twin aisle ie NOT a 737. Likely 777 as reported

they use a 777 or A330 for that trip.

...you know, the one with the badly stained seats!

my seatbelts r always on. unless i really need to go the loo.

ts was cos of this incident while flying back to philipines from Singapore. Air Turbulence and we literally flew up in our seats. No warning Nothing. just got caught all of sudden.

the feeling was exactly the same as the drop going down a roller coaster or bungee jumping. t

his is the unpredictability of flying. Lucky to not be injured.