Multi-entry Same Year

People on here have been very helpfull with past inquiries. Can someone confirm my assumption that this is permissible. My relative from Canada received a multi-entry in Sept.2015 from the Thai Embassy in Ottawa. That was his first time doing same. He used that up and is now back in Canada. He would like to come back now on another multi-entry, in the same calender year as his last one. Any problem with that? Thanks.

The visa he bought in Sep 2015 should be valid for 1 year. The 'enter before' date will be printed on the visa. He should be able to re-enter again using the same visa as long as he enters on or before the 'enter before' date (Sept 2016).

• Like 1

Was is it multiple entry non immigrant visa or perhaps a 2 or 3 entry tourist visa that you are calling a multiple entry visa.

If a tourist visa 2 and 3 entry visas no longer exist. He might be able to get the new multiple entry tourist visa.

• Like 1

Was is it multiple entry non immigrant visa or perhaps a 2 or 3 entry tourist visa that you are calling a multiple entry visa.

If a tourist visa 2 and 3 entry visas no longer exist. He might be able to get the new multiple entry tourist visa.

It would have been a multi-entry tourist (3) and he used each of the entry's before going back to Canada last month.

It would have been a multi-entry tourist (3) and he used each of the entry's before going back to Canada last month.

Triple Entry Tourist Visas are no longer available. Now he can get a Multiple Entry Tourist Visa (METV) or a Single Entry Tourist Visa (SETV).

METV.

• Valid for 6 months from the issue date.
  • Unlimited entries until the visas expiry date. (approx 6 months)
  • 60 day permit to stay for every entry.
  • 30 day extension of stay available per entry (1,900 baht).
  • Border hop required every 60/90 days.

SETV

• Valid for 3 months from the issue date.
  • 1 entry for 60 days.
  • 30 day extension of stay available (1,900 baht).
  • Exit and new visa needed after 60/90 days.
  • New STEV's easily obtained from Thai Embassies/Consulates neighbouring Thailand.
  • Like 2

<p>

Triple Entry Tourist Visas are no longer available. Now he can get a Multiple Entry Tourist Visa (METV) or a Single Entry Tourist Visa (SETV). METV.
  • Valid for 6 months from the issue date.
  • Unlimited entries until the visas expiry date. (approx 6 months)
  • 60 day permit to stay for every entry.
  • 30 day extension of stay available per entry (1,900 baht).
  • Border hop required every 60/90 days.
SETV
  • Valid for 3 months from the issue date.
  • 1 entry for 60 days.
  • 30 day extension of stay available (1,900 baht).
  • Exit and new visa needed after 60/90 days.
  • New STEV's easily obtained from Thai Embassies/Consulates neighbouring Thailand.

Great, METV is what he needs. Thanks.

He could apply for the multiple entry tourist visa that allows unlimited 60 day entries for 6 months. See: http://www.thaiembassy.ca/uploads/ott09112015.pdf

So he can just do the same process again this soon after the last one. Thankyou.

This is a BIG maybe. The process is not the same.

The conditions under which the new multiple entry tourist visas are issued are quite different from those required for the old triple entry tourist visas. Depending on the consulate's local rules, the conditions for the new METV can be almost impossible to satisfy.

It is appropriate to try for the METV first. However, he may end up needing to come on an SETV, and getting additional SETVs or visa exempt entries for the rest of his time in Thailand.

He could apply for the multiple entry tourist visa that allows unlimited 60 day entries for 6 months. See: http://www.thaiembassy.ca/uploads/ott09112015.pdf

So he can just do the same process again this soon after the last one. Thankyou.

This is a BIG maybe. The process is not the same.

The conditions under which the new multiple entry tourist visas are issued are quite different from those required for the old triple entry tourist visas. Depending on the consulate's local rules, the conditions for the new METV can be almost impossible to satisfy.

It is appropriate to try for the METV first. However, he may end up needing to come on an SETV, and getting additional SETVs or visa exempt entries for the rest of his time in Thailand.

Did you click on the link I posted. Ottawa is not as bad as others. Only the money in the bank is needed and no 6 month requirement.

I am from Canada and planning on staying in Thailand for at least 1 year. I am not retired so a Retirement Visa is not an option. I see the METV is only good for 6 months with border crossings every 60 days. My question is if I want to get a second METV for another 6 months can I get that while still in Thailand or do I need to come back to Canada to get it?

Hopefully this makes sense I am still trying to wrap my head around my options.

I am from Canada and planning on staying in Thailand for at least 1 year. I am not retired so a Retirement Visa is not an option. I see the METV is only good for 6 months with border crossings every 60 days. My question is if I want to get a second METV for another 6 months can I get that while still in Thailand or do I need to come back to Canada to get it?

• You would have to go back to Canada to get a second METV.
  • If you do a border hop at the end of the 6 months you can get a new 60 day stay that can be extended by 30 days at immigration for 1,900 baht. That gives nearly 9 months possible from one METV.
  • You could get SETV's from Thai Embassies/Consulates in countries neighbouring Thailand.
  • You do not need to be retired to get a 'retirement visa'. You just need to be over 50 and meet the financial requirements.
Edited by elviajero

• If you do a border hop at the end of the 6 months you can get a new 60 day stay that can be extended by 30 days at immigration for 1,900 baht. That gives nearly 9 months possible from one METV.
  • You could get SETV's from Thai Embassies/Consulates in countries neighbouring Thailand.
  • You do not need to be retired to get a 'retirement visa'. You just need to be over 50 and meet the financial requirements.

Thank you for the quick reply. Unfortunately, I am on the wrong side of 50 so can not apply for a Retirement Visa. Having to fly all the way back to Canada to get another METV seems difficult. What do you mean I can get SETV from a Thai Consulate in other countries? Does that mean I can fly to Singapore and get a 30 day extension after my 9 months are up?

From the Thai Consulate website in Canada, I read "A copy of a bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to no less than 200,000 (Baht) per person". Does this have to be a deposit in to a Thai bank like Bangkok Bank or just a deposit into a Canadian bank like Bank of Montreal?

Also, if I get a METV, do I still need to fly in and out of Thailand every 30 days / check into Thai consulate in Bangkok every 90 days?

Thank you for the quick reply. Unfortunately, I am on the wrong side of 50 so can not apply for a Retirement Visa. Having to fly all the way back to Canada to get another METV seems difficult. What do you mean I can get SETV from a Thai Consulate in other countries? Does that mean I can fly to Singapore and get a 30 day extension after my 9 months are up?

From the Thai Consulate website in Canada, I read "A copy of a bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to no less than 200,000 (Baht) per person". Does this have to be a deposit in to a Thai bank like Bangkok Bank or just a deposit into a Canadian bank like Bank of Montreal?

Also, if I get a METV, do I still need to fly in and out of Thailand every 30 days / check into Thai consulate in Bangkok every 90 days?

After the total stay of almost 9 months from the METV you could go to a nearby embassy or consulate and get a single entry tourist visa that would allow a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days. You could also do a border crossing and get a 30 day visa exempt entry that can be extended for 30 days.

The equivalent of 200k baht can be in a Canadian bank. The requirements I posted for the embassy in Ottawa states 7500 CAD.

The METV allows unlimited 60 day entries for 6 months form the date of issue. You can extend any of those 60 day entries for 30 days at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht. Many people with a METV are finding it cost effective to do another 60 day entry instead of paying 1900 baht for the 30 day extension.

You need to exit Thailand every 60 days by land or air. You can immediately turn around and re-enter.

If you are trying to maximise your stay do not buy the METV too early because it is valid for 6 months from the issue date.

• The visa will have an 'enter before' (expiry) date printed on it which is the last day you can enter using the visa.
  • Every time you enter the country using the METV you can stay for 60 days, even if entering on the 'enter before' date.
  • Any 60 day stay can be (optional) extended by 30 days at an immigration office for 1,900 baht.
  • Try to make your final entry with the METV as close to the 'enter before' date as possible to get a 60 day stay. Towards the end of the 60 days go to immigration and get a 30 day extension.
  • Next fly or travel by land to a neighbouring country and apply for a SETV (1,000 baht). Don't go to KL. Vientiane and Savannakhet Laos, or Penang, Malaysia are the recommended choice.
  • On entry to Thailand with the SETV you'll be granted a 60 day permit to stay which you can/should also extend by 30 days.

So far you should have had the best part of 9 months using the METV and 3 months with the SETV (1 year).

• If you want to stay longer you can get another SETV.
  • There is no overall limit of how many SETV's you can have, but individual Embassies/Consulates do have limits so you will probably be limited to 2/3 from the same place.
Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...