International Immigration - incident

Ok, First off, this account is under an alias as my account is under my name and i do not want this to come up under google search results tied against my name.
Second, Apologies to anyone at <removed> Airport Immigration 1pm onwards today, for what was a complete loss of composure by myself when i royally lost it with an corrupt immigration officer.‹‹

Back Ground.
Late 20's lived in Thailand 5/6 years. Was previously part of a dev, but since that point not worked, i am comfortable, brought in tens of millions of baht in to the economy and keep myself to myself and live the same lifestyle i would else where.

All round non - problem maker.

Visa, i've over the years jumped from various, WP, Marriage etc and over the last year i have not really bothered with visas as i am flying out constantly for my businesses in EU / US / HK etc.

I don't believe in corruption, i have lived in Africa, Middle East, Central/Latin america, Europe and the carib i always take a stance against corruption.

Recently as mentioned i have not bothered with visas, just flown in and out when i've needed too, extended when i needed too and never been late, its called a visa exempt which my country has as standard.

Arriving today, i was asked to step aside and passed to the next chain in the command..
First i was told 'you've been late - which i clearly pointed out not once had i been late on any visas, in all my years of travelling.

then he asked what i "did" in Thailand, aside from the fact i own companies here, i neither work or get involved in the day to day and they are managed in Bangkok

He then proceeded to try and extort 3000 baht out of me to let me in , at which point i exploded, rang the wife, rang the lawyer, he was saying its not allowed to have back to back visa exempt which it is, and the only condition you have to show funds, which i provided readily 12,000,000 thb in my Siam Commercial Bank.
‹He was adamant not to let me through with out money and was very quiet in his request for the funds, i of-course exploded, belittled him and told him off for the cheek or trying to extort me, naturally, 3 more superiors or same level then surrounded, i demanded to speak to his superior and my wife also stated i am following the law, as such i am allowed in and out on visa exempts as many times as i choose and only have to provide my bank book / financial records.

With lots of "this is extortion, and against thai law, and corruption being shouted"

He was told to process the visa exempt, no apology, slung the passport back at me, and i went through .

<removed>

Let this be a warning - do not back down, backing down for a peaceful life when you are in the right, encourages this sort of behaviour, its terrible, i've now seen it all here, but i never in all my life expected to be extorted on entry in to the Kingdom.

Bad Guys Out, Good Guys In - is not working in this case, because i am the good guy, and he is the bad guy and they cant get rid of their rotten apples.

Edited by CharlieH
Title adjusted and certain details removed to allow the post to remain.

I have removed an aspect of the title, also removed some content to allow this post to be viewed.

Picture also removed. Thai Visa has a name & shame policy. For the protection of the OP, and Thaivisa.

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

I think if I were to start traveling to Thailand again on visa-exempt or any kind of tourist visa, I would carry (at the current rate) about USD 700 in AmEx travelers checks to show Immigration if they ask to see proof of 20K baht. I don't think overkill ever helps the situation.

Bouncing between visa's for the past few years and not be able to show funds to support your visit.

A not surprised you was pulled aside.

Please re-read.

showed 12million in SCB Bank Book.

Visa choice is irregardless, if you work here, you have a WP i do not, thus i do not use, a marriage visa is of no use as i fly in and out weekly .

further more, the visa exempt has been used a total of 6 times.‹‹

Bouncing between visa's for the past few years and not be able to show funds to support your visit.

Please re-read.

Visa choice is irregardless, if you work here, you have a WP i do not, thus i do not use, a marriage visa is of no use as i fly in and out weekly .

further more, the visa exempt has been used a total of 6 times.

Showing money in a bank book means nothing. I suspect you failed the attitude test and it all went south from there.

Honestly questioning the sanity of expats, so if you are asked to pay "money" for no reason to enter said country, you would just bend over and take it up the xxxx? attitude, was called for from that point forward, and no it's highly illegal to produce a fake bank book i am sure.

a marriage visa is of no use as i fly in and out weekly .

Actually a multi entry non immigrant O visa based on marriage would likely have avoided this issue and only has to be obtained once a year even if you do travel every week or so. Each entry would be stamped for 90 days without question.

Honestly questioning the sanity of expats, so if you are asked to pay "money" for no reason to enter said country, you would just bend over and take it up the xxxx? attitude, was called for from that point forward, and no it's highly illegal to produce a fake bank book i am sure.

Never been asked for money myself. But then when I front the immigration official I do so in a polite manner without attitude knowing full well they can refuse my entry of they please to do so.

You nationality is USA ?

Edited by Don Mega

Please re-read.

further more, the visa exempt has been used a total of 6 times.‹‹

Does flying in n out weekly affect a marriage visa, wouldn't a multiple re-entry permit be used in this situation?

You own companies and do not have a WP?

You do not have a right to enter any country other than your own, the immigration are the guardians of this. A visa is not mandatory and certainly not one issued at the border, and the right to refuse it is with the official

12 million derived from companies in Thailand of which you could not have paid tax if you do not have a WP

Easy visa options are available if you pursued them

Clampdown on illegal 'Nomads' of which as a regular poster on this forum you are aware.

So you verbally abused an official and caused them to lose face, not a smart move.

Now lets see, you break the law and demand entrance to a country which is not your own................really are you serious, and do you think next time you will get off so lightly if at all?

After this rant of Mr. Big I had to hold back and not comment in inappropriate wording.

The above post says it in factual words.

Such a big businessman not giving a s... about legal business, appropriate visa/status of stay?

Not enough pocket money for elite visa?

Edited by KhunBENQ

Guys.. Seriously, <deleted>
Funds are neither here or there, i just have to provide proof of money, taxes are of none of your concerns and no nothing to do with Thailand, onshore i only have charities .

Owning a company with a partner does not mean you require a WP, i had one previously, i no longer work in any capacity. just board meetings here and there.

Visa Exempt means you are entitled to a visa for 30 days on arrival.

The officer, in my eyes is a small fish, and needed putting in his place, but understand, i did this only after he tried to illegally extort funds out of me.
â€
care to explain how any law has been broken? ‹

After this rant of Mr. Big I had to hold back and not comment in inappropriate wording.

The above post says it in factual words.

Such a big businessman not giving a s... about legal business, appropriate visa/status of stay?

Not enough pocket money for elite visa?

My interests here are only investment or charity based. - Why that even matters is beyond me, and obliviously anything to do with this.

Please stay on topic, oh and the elite visa is ok friends have, i was going too (understand its now 500K) however really a waste of money when i am entitled to 30 days exempt.

A multi re-entry is not needed if you have a multi entry visa based on marriage as stated in post #11

True, but that means depositing the passport for a few days, and only certain areas in SE Asia now do, i understand Penang - shit hole if ever there was one... So of no use to me, and out of my way, and uncomfortable.

12 million derived from companies in Thailand of which you could not have paid tax if you do not have a WP

So if you do not have a work permit your company cannot pay taxes....

Interesting concept but completely false.

As stated, i am the "money man" investor/ i do not "work for the company" thus not entitled to a WP.

Please read and clarify with your lawyer if unsure, if not i can point you in the direction of mine.

As stated, i am the "money man" investor/ i do not "work for the company" thus not entitled to a WP.

Please read and clarify with your lawyer if unsure, if not i can point you in the direction of mine.

I dont have go to a lawyer for anything.

My Boss is not Thai. He owns the company I work for. He is not required to have a work permit as he does not work in Thailand. His company pays taxes in Thailand.

Further more there are numerous safe guards in Thai business tax laws to make certain a company is paying its taxes, this does include forceful closure of a company not "generating revenues... etc"

Please stay on topic and to the point and not try and twist/turn the conversation.

I am in the right, if i were not he would not have backed down in his demand for 3000 baht would he... My post is to make people aware this is happening because this needs to be stopped.

I dont have go to a lawyer for anything.

My Boss is not Thai. He owns the company I work for. He is not required to have a work permit as he does not work in Thailand. His company pays taxes in Thailand.

Well there you go, same situation.

Yes, your 12 milYes, your 12 million baht in the bank appeared as ‘women in skimpy dress are like unwrapped candy bars’ to the immigration officers. They will hassle you whenever you return on oversea trips. Best way is for you to apply for a non-immigration O-A visa; you have no choice on the matter because of the new immigration regulation to stop the flow of people on ‘Visa Run’ into the country which is a perfect excuse for them to ‘milk cash cows’ like your goodself.

no thanks i fear only the downward direction

no thanks i fear only the downward direction

In English?

Anyway, MODS you can now close this as the armchair Europe Expats are just playing cat and mouse to no avail, ive said my point and now its open, its a warning that there is still corruption at entry immigration <removed>