What was in the ocean?

Foreverford

I was swimming about one mile out from the beach today basically across from the Bangkok Hospital. I ended up being somewhat molested by some strange type of fish. They were rather slimy type of fish similar to maybe an eel or a snake. they ranged in size from about 3-4 inches long to almost a foot long and one seemed even longer than that. They came to me instead of me swimming into, say, a school of these things. I swam to shore and then thought maybe almost just my imagination so just stay docile in the water and again a few would come to my body and wiggle and proceed along. It almost seemed like they could have been some kind of lamprey eel type of sucker fish eel or whatever.

I have been swimming in this area for nearly 15 years and have witnessed many jelly fish of all shapes and sizes and schools of small fish but nothing even close to something like this. there weren't more than a few dozen that i cam in contact with but they were there as if following me all the way to very shallow water and then the contact stopped.

I talked to kite surfers and they didn't know what it might be or have experienced anything similar.

Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks for your thoughts. peace and love

I'm impressed with the "serious" and "helpful" nature of the answers here.

Note to self: take serious questions elsewhere.

What did you expect ? a serious answer?
To a serious question? Of course. Is that too much to ask?

Advice to anyone new to TVF, never ask for help or serious answers, you'll only regret it.

"have witnessed many jelly fish of all shapes and sizes."

Given this above, you are lucky not to have encountered whatever deadly stinger

that Aussie guy died from about two years ago at Koh Somoi. (Forgive my spelling)

Lucky also not to have encountered speed boats that have chopped up swimmers.

Sorry - no idea about the small slimy eels.

Advice to anyone new to TVF, never ask for help or serious answers, you'll only regret it.

Disagree; one serious question about small home solar set-ups lasted 19 pages of most enlightened serious productive discussions.

Edited by Jing Joe

Disagree; one serious question about small home solar set-ups lasted 19 pages of most enlightened serious productive discussions.

Luck of the draw, eh?

that Aussie guy died from about two years ago at Koh Somoi. (Forgive my spelling)

LOL no speedboats in front of the Bangkok Hospital area. There is the local jetski operation 6 of them, last count, which no one rents at this time of year. Lots and lots of idiot kiters though.

LOL no speedboats in front of the Bangkok Hospital area. There is the local jetski operation 6 of them, last count, which no one rents at this time of year. Lots and lots of idiot kiters though.

Thanks for the local update. Yup, any boat/vessel that goes bump on the head and how about simply driving during Songkran? So many deaths and injuries so far. Stay indoors, and celebrate Songkran in the shower there also. Smile please.

Sincerely hope for an explanation to the sincere question re the mystery in the sea.

Edited by Jing Joe

You have my sympathies. There are more would be comedians here than in a thousand cheap nightclubs and all them aren't being paid for obvious reasons. Still as long as they think they are hilarious who are we to shatter their illusions.

A possible fish could be barracuda, specifically the pickhandle barracuda Sphyraena jello which is found in this area.

Hope that helps

After receiving these reply and the actions of the beast I think that they were probably remoras as someone from Pattaya experienced them while scuba diving and their actions towards me would be indicative of that kind of fish as they came to my body and wiggled and moved along very rapidly when I tried to touch them with my hands.

Box Jellyfish which can be deadly are the ones that were referred to in Koh Samui and a few other places. One person was hit here in this area but have only heard of about a half a dozen incidences in Thailand, if that, as Thailand is not usually where they are located.

I swim at 6 am so no worries about foolish kiters or boaters. as in all of life, timing is everything.

Thanks to all with their replies. If I wasn't able to get info from locals both here and in Pattaya i would have attempted to use the Koh samui Forum to try to find an answer as I have always been able to get extremely competent info in regards to all the questions I've needed answering through the many and various Forums here and sometimes the jokesters make it an interesting journey also. peace and love

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...