Tourist Visa Expiring on 16th

Hey guys, so I got a tourist visa on arrival (30 days) and had it extended for another 30 days at the immigration office. I want to stay in the country for another 90 days, and I want to make the trip outside of the country as quick as possible. My questions are:

1) Which country should I fly out to from Chiang Mai? (Shortest trip)

2) Will the immigration office be open in another country on April 14th? (Festival)

3) If yes to the above, how long will it take me to apply/receive a 60 day tourist visa (which can then be extended for another 30 days at the immigration office in CM?), ideally I want to get it all done in less than a day, so I don't have to spend the night in another country

4)If no to question 2, will I be able to fly to another country, and fly right back into Thailand and get another tourist visa on arrival? How long do I have to leave Thailand before I return?

Thank you very much for your time and answers, greatly appreciated.

You like to present us with a challenge!

First, I think there is zero chance of finding any Thai consulate open before Monday.

As far as finding cheap air tickets during this period, good luck! Air Asia to Kuala Lumpur would be the least expensive, but KL is a lousy place to apply for a tourist visa.

In my opinion, your best short term solution is to make a border hop at Chiang Khong for a visa exempt entry (assuming you qualify, which I deduce you will). You can then plan ahead for a visa run, optionally after extending your visa exempt entry.

If determined to make an immediate visa run, book a combined flight+hotel deal to Vientiane through Expedia, flying out April 16th, returning April 20th. Pay slightly more to fly Bangkok Airways. Cost at least 12,000 baht for flight plus 4 nights hotel.

You have waited a bit late to be thinking about what to do. Most embassies and consulates are closed until Monday the 18th. The only exception is the consulate in Kota Bharu Malaysia that will be open on Sunday.

You could get a flight from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani then take a van to the bridge in Nong Khai and crossover to Vientiane Laos on the 16th. Then first thing on Monday apply for a single entry tourist visa and then pick it up the next afternoon.

Your best option may be to go the Chiang Khong crossing to Laos and get another visa exempt entry (it is not a tourist visa). You will get a 15 day entry unless you are from a G7 country that would allow a 30 day entry. You could get a 30 day extension of that entry.

If no to question 2, will I be able to fly to another country, and fly right back into Thailand and get another tourist visa on arrival? How long do I have to leave Thailand before I return?

It's neither a tourist visa nor a visa on arrival. If you fly back in you'd get a 30 day visa exempt entry (i.e. no visa but a 30 day permission to stay) that could be extended by 30 days at immigrations.

If you re-enter at a land border, it will depend on your nationality whether you get 30 days or 15 days, but either can be extended for 30 days.

Given the holidays this week in Thailand and Laos and last week in Thailand you'll probably find Thai embassies/consulates in neighboring countries quite busy next week which could make visa applications more of a challenge or at least cause some delays.

If no to question 2, will I be able to fly to another country, and fly right back into Thailand and get another tourist visa on arrival? How long do I have to leave Thailand before I return?

It's neither a tourist visa nor a visa on arrival. If you fly back in you'd get a 30 day visa exempt entry (i.e. no visa but a 30 day permission to stay) that could be extended by 30 days at immigrations.

How long would I have to be in another country before flying out? Can I fly into a country, and immediately fly back into Thailand? Thanks for all the answers! (I'm Canadian by the way)

How long would I have to be in another country before flying out? Can I fly into a country, and immediately fly back into Thailand? Thanks for all the answers! (I'm Canadian by the way)

There is no requirement for you to remain in another country.

Time of return will be dictated by the availability of flights

You can fly out and back the same day for a visa exempt entry without difficulty.

From Chiang Mai, your cheapest option will almost certainly be to Kuala Lumphur. However, at short notice during Songkran, expect this to cost about 7,000 baht, or even more. Overland to Chiang Khong for a visa exempt entry would be cheaper.

Thank you all, for the answers. Does anyone know what the fastest flight in/out including layover is from CM? I don't care about cost of flight, just want to make the trip as short as possible.

Why not ask Mr Google or the local travel agent ?

• Like 1

Thank you all, for the answers. Does anyone know what the fastest flight in/out including layover is from CM? I don't care about cost of flight, just want to make the trip as short as possible.

Air Asia to Hong Kong on Saturday:

CNX Dep 06:00 09:45 Arr HKG

HKG Dep 10:35 12:20 Arr CNX

About 13,000 baht

(No need ro go through immigration in Hong Kong. Ensure you are checked in for the return flight in advance.)

This is quick and easy, but kind of expensive. Up to you.

I really did <deleted> up, I'm thinking of overstaying my visa, after it expires, is that going to be a terrible idea? Visa expires on April 16th and I'm thinking of flying out April 19th, so I would overstay by 3 days, and then apply for a single entry 60 day tourist visa.

I am an evening/night person though, I guess I don't mind the duration of the flight/layover for that Hong Kong flight, but it would be nice if there's something in the late afternoon+. Thank you in advance for all the help, I appreciate it !

the savings on the daily fine will pay for your hotel in Vientiane...and you won't have to worry about arrest. I would get on the next bus to Udon, and make my way to the border. Flying to Udon would also be an option, and there are many blogs out there that will give you the specifics of doing it from UTH. Bring some USD.

I really did <deleted> up, I'm thinking of overstaying my visa, after it expires, is that going to be a terrible idea? Visa expires on April 16th and I'm thinking of flying out April 19th, so I would overstay by 3 days, and then apply for a single entry 60 day tourist visa.

An overstay would cost you 500 baht per day, The risk is getting caught before you leave.

You could go to immigration early on Monday and apply for a 7 day extension, pay 1900 baht and be given 7 days to leave the country. I say early because you can be sure they are going to very busy that day.

An overstay would cost you 500 baht per day, The risk is getting caught before you leave.

You could go to immigration early on Monday and apply for a 7 day extension, pay 1900 baht and be given 7 days to leave the country. I say early because you can be sure they are going to very busy that day.

In Chiang Mai, on the 18th, is he going to even be able to do it queuing from 4:00 am? Maybe, an agent can get it done.