Songkran fun turns violent - one dead, six injured in Suphan Buri stabbings

webfact

Songkran fun turns violent - one dead, six injured in Suphan Buri stabbings

sup.jpg
Image: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- A happy Songkran scene turned into a bloodbath as six people were stabbed, one fatally in Suphan on the first day of Songkran.

Dozens of revellers were splashing water, singing and dancing in front of a 7-11 in Song Phi Nong district of Suphanburi when a man approached, a witness said.

A slanging match ensued in which the man produced a knife and started slashing the group of Songkran celebrants, Thairath reports.

Tiwa Phetdi,22, a witness said: "We were playing Songkran with lots of others, listening to music and dancing then this man starts shouting. He pulled out a knife and started attacking us."

Wiwat Rasami, 25, of Song Phi Nong died in hospital after sustaining knife wounds to the chest and body. Six others were recovering from minor knife wounds at Somdet Phra Sankharat hospital.

Police have arrested a man, Likhit Phophan, 46, in connection with the incident.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-04-14

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again this confirms my argument that the Songkran festival of today can cause aggression and with conflicts arising. Very different to the tradition of sprinkling water on people than firing and drenching people. Brink back the old ways.

"The Songkran festival of today of today can cause aggression"... Like a Saturday night, a birthday, a funeral, a football match or any other day, anywhere in the World then..

Once again this confirms my argument that the Songkran festival of today can cause aggression and with conflicts arising. Very different to the tradition of sprinkling water on people than firing and drenching people. Brink back the old ways.

"The Songkran festival of today of today can cause aggression"... Like a Saturday night, a birthday, a funeral, a football match or any other day, anywhere in the World then..

Except Glastonbury then?

Except Glastonbury then?

No, not except Glastonbury. http://www.nme.com/news/u2/57554

Except Glastonbury then?

No, not except Glastonbury. http://www.nme.com/news/u2/57554

I see, a peaceful protest turns violent when the security guards get stuck in.

Not at all the same thing as: "Like a Saturday night, a birthday, a funeral, a football match or any other day, anywhere in the World then.."

Cannabis at Glastonbury and alcohol on Saturday?

Oh yes the good old days when the people were not drenched.

I doubt very much if this incident was caused by the attacker getting a little wet. It is only the farangs who can't seem to cope with a little bit of water on a hot day in a tropical country. How do they cope during the wet season?

Let's have a look at the good old days when you were just sprikled gently with a drop or two shall we. Or is that just a myth you have read? Ask an older Thai, they will tell you.

post-253491-0-11456700-1460596516_thumb.

post-253491-0-48272500-1460596529_thumb.

post-253491-0-42432700-1460596549_thumb.

post-253491-0-20394000-1460596570_thumb.

Songkran is a moronic monstrosity and an affront to polite social order. To be sure a stabbing is an overreaction, I just feel like punching people who throw dirty water at me.

So you are ok with clean water then?

You being from the "polite social order" want to punch people for getting wet?

How do you cope during the rainy season? Do you shower?

This could have happened anytime and any place in Thailand. It's just another day at the office for any violent and dangerous country. They're just cashing in on the sensationalism of making it Songkran related.

Edited by Inn Between

I doubt very much if this incident was caused by the attacker getting a little wet. It is only the farangs who can't seem to cope with a little bit of water on a hot day in a tropical country. How do they cope during the wet season?

Let's have a look at the good old days when you were just sprikled gently with a drop or two shall we. Or is that just a myth you have read? Ask an older Thai, they will tell you.

Nice old photos -- looks like they're having fun.

I couldn't help but notice that nobody in any of the pictures is fat or even overweight. Taken before the Thai love for fried and processed food took hold here (like pretty much everywhere).

This could have happened anytime and any place in Thailand. It's just another day at the office for any violent and dangerous country. They're just cashing in on the sensationalism of making it Songkran related.

I would go further - this could happen any day anywhere in the world. A nutter with a knife let loose in a public gathering.

That it happened to be a Songkran celebration is coincidence, nothing more.

Edited by JAG

In Hua Hin there was fighting too...seems there was a 'turf-war' being sorted at one point with 50+ Thais getting angry at each other late night on the 12th. Then my wife said the bad feelings and aggression was still there all thru' Songkran day with fights breaking out without warning within the crowds of folk walking round the streets.

Thais had posted on facebook about gun-shots & cars burnt-out also...Lots of aggression shown by Thai youths...the times they are a changing I think, after what I witnessed on the night of the 12th I stayed at home all yesterday, & may well do so from now on.

Edited by Usual Suspect

Songkran is a moronic monstrosity and an affront to polite social order. To be sure a stabbing is an overreaction, I just feel like punching people who throw dirty water at me.

So you are ok with clean water then?

You being from the "polite social order" want to punch people for getting wet?

How do you cope during the rainy season? Do you shower?

Eh? Why is it that Songkran apologists, of the kind who just got off the plane, fail to understand the difference between voluntary and involuntary? I'd have nothing against it if people were to be polite enough to refrain from soaking me when asked. Edited by dbrenn

You sound like a kilo of laughs. If dirty water makes you want to fight, does clean water make you feel warm and smiley inside? The 'moronic monstrosity' may be in the mirror.

Funny post though, 'polite social order'....the world isn't made of pie and candy mate.

the 3rd photo looks very drenched to me.

You sound like a kilo of laughs. If dirty water makes you want to fight, does clean water make you feel warm and smiley inside? The 'moronic monstrosity' may be in the mirror.

Funny post though, 'polite social order'....the world isn't made of pie and candy mate.

And you sound like the simple type who finds slapstick comedy on Thai TV funny. All those boing noises make you laugh eh?

I don't stop you from watching mindless drivel, so please likewise respect my right not to have water thrown at me when I'd prefer to stay dry.

Edited by dbrenn

I don't enjoy being drenched with dirty water or with water laden with ice cubes, just so somebody can have their kind of fun, but I'm not sure that I would feel the need to go out with a knife just in case somebody felt the need to "attack" me with water, if I went out I know there's a very good chance I would get wet.

The witness is reported as saying "playing Songkran with lots of others, listening to music and dancing", I suspect he left out the bit about throwing water over those who didn't want to "play", but seems to me that they were all having fun, they went a bit over the top with tragic results.

I prefer to stay indoors for the three days, plenty of stuff to do, let those who want to "play Songkran" do so.

And you sound like the simple type who finds slapstick comedy on Thai TV funny. All those boing noises make you laugh eh?

I don't stop you from watching mindless drivel, so please likewise respect my right not to have water thrown at me when I'd prefer to stay dry.

Sorry, but in Thailand during Songcran you DO NOT have the right to stay dry. But you do have the right to stay indoors if you don't want to get wet.

the old days, like those who lived them do tend to die.

Also, having been here since 1996 when i experienced my first song kran, i see very little difference in the behavior of revellers.

how far back do old days go?

personally i think comparing songkran now with songkran of the 1970's pretty ridiculous.

When the whole country celebrates a day/week of throwing water at eachother you prepare yourself to get wet, use ziplock bags for your phone and anything else you don't want to get wet. Stop complaining and just prepare yourself.

When the whole country celebrates a day/week of throwing water at eachother you prepare yourself to get wet, use ziplock bags for your phone and anything else you don't want to get wet. Stop complaining and just prepare yourself.

I do. I drive everywhere :-)

Occasnally I get caught out though, a couple of times in smart work clothes, and that's when I feel a burning desire to start throwing punches.

Usually I just hurl insults instead.

no sh*t sherlock!?

I am more of a Watson type but yes agree.thumbsup.gif Often adults around water get giddy and over excited and start acting like children. Songkran is a classic case. Elementary I would say.

So I am happy that the doors are hatched down and I am away from this infantile festival.

the old days, like those who lived them do tend to die.

Also, having been here since 1996 when i experienced my first song kran, i see very little difference in the behavior of revellers.

how far back do old days go?

personally i think comparing songkran now with songkran of the 1970's pretty ridiculous.

You have been here just a little longer than me but I feel you lived in a different Thailand and Bangkok. Nowhere then did I see high powered guns, people filling buckets with ice and throwing them at passing bikes and motorbikes. It just didn't happen, so I don't know where you lived.

Indeed, I would prefer to be decapitated with a Daab than be tickled by a wee knife. In the good old days of Siam they knew their stuff. Edited by DrTuner