Ceiling fan expert

scorecard

Already have 12 ceiling fans installed by the building contractor when the house was built some 5 years ago.

Starting to have problems with a few fans now very slow, 1 fans stopped working, 1 fan now shakes a lot and not useable.

Two handymen came to look but said they don't know anything about proper installation etc etc.

Any CM members found a ceiling fan 'expert'?

Please share.

Not interested in comments about ceiling fans waste of money, hold too much dust, etc.

the blade screws loosen over time, that can cause the shaking, if they were working fine before. Do they go slow on all three speeds? They do wear out....The Thais aren't big users of ceiling fans the same way that Thai housekeepers will mop the floor a thousand times before cleaning the high up cob webs once...it's not in their comfort zone, and part of superstitious beliefs.

the blade screws loosen over time, that can cause the shaking, if they were working fine before. Do they go slow on all three speeds? They do wear out....The Thais aren't big users of ceiling fans the same way that Thai housekeepers will mop the floor a thousand times before cleaning the high up cob webs once...it's not in their comfort zone, and part of superstitious beliefs.

Nonsense !

I've fixed wall fans and the stand alone fans a few times. Generally it's the capacitor thing that wears out. Amorn is a good place to get replacements.

Not sure if it's the same for ceiling fans. Bearings can also wear on ceiling fans which can lead to the wobble effect.

In my experience the wall (speed) controller will fail and cause slow speed and or no speed. If one has electrical skills it is not difficult to test fan -v- controller. I've replaced dodgy units with new ones and also cordless/remote controls.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, Thai are smart sometimes, they know that it's stupid to use a ceiling fan to blow hot air down when it should stay up and leave somewhere.

A ceiling fan is only useful if aircon is turned on.

Yes, Thai are smart sometimes, they know that it's stupid to use a ceiling fan to blow hot air down when it should stay up and leave somewhere.

A ceiling fan is only useful if aircon is turned on.

that's why there is a reverse switch, and they actually can be the difference in waking up freezing or not in an unheated CM apartment.

Yep Well taken care of Toilets in restaurant, cobwebs above years old. Probably also a reason Condo groundsmen collect every leaf daily from parking lot but

pigeons and rats flattened by cars are left to decompose indefinitely. These fans have a wide range of quality levels and motor types. Motor won't last forever especially if blade balance is not maintained. Older models motor can be replaced more easily than the newfangled DC drive with all their electronics. Really a great thing when used with AC.

Have two Hatari wall units with remote. From Siam Electric, cheap, plastic blades. If they ever broke I would just get new ones.

>>Yes, Thai are smart sometimes, they know that it's stupid to use a ceiling fan to blow hot air down when it should stay up and leave somewhere.<<

Yes ,i put up a ceiling fan at great expense and it was useless .My wall mounted remote control fans are great though ,to the point that i dont use a/c .If they do fail (Hatari brand going a few years now ) they are dead easy to dismount for repair .

I love the ceiling fan in the bedroom. The ones in the lounge and dining room just move air around to keep things fresh (they have a reverse switch for winter) but by the time the cooler air hits at night, they are quite effective. I wouldn't have bothered with those ones, they were there when we moved in, but in our first few days here I had the one in the bedroom bought and installed. Fans are OK providing the ambient air temperature is below 29 or 30.

Mr K cleaned the bedroom one yesterday and must have been a little more 'determined' than usual. Thwock thwock thwock all night, although it was rhythmic so it wasn't long before I couldn't hear it any more. He just moved it around a little this morning until I was happy it was no longer thwocking. Only took a few minutes, I think more time waiting for the blades to stop at each attempt than actually rebalancing it.

Archived