Family (40ish w 5 yo) moving to Thailand. Your thoughts?

Tawan77

You are 100% barking mad - and in relation to your daughter's immersion in Thai culture and education - totally selfish to boot. A decision like the one you are contemplating should not be made until you have lived here for at least 5 years. As it stands, you are too full of yourself and your abilities and sound judgement. You seem astonishingly unaware of the risks you would be taking ! Read all TV headlines every day for the next year, starting with the road carnage we are just totting up right now as the abomination Songkran comes to another grisly end. If it was you on your own, it would be not so heavy a decision, but to haul a well-settled family here ? NO. Let me put it as strongly as i can think of this moment - if any member of my extended family announced they were taking a child of school-age to South-East Asia, i would accuse them of self-indulgent idiocy bordering on child-abuse. I know 100 times more than you about the Thai education system and its dodgy practices and low standards - why ? - because i've lived with a Thai government teacher for 7 years and know that sector inside out. [by the way - i have just come in to the house after a mere 3-mile drive down the dark chaotic main street of our town, and had more hair-raising narrow escapes than you would expect in several years in the west - i wish i had dash-cam film to show you - your hair would turn white. At least 50 young motorcyclists driving as if they had lost the will to live straight down the centre between trucks and cars while water is thrown forcefully in their faces. This is a MAD-HOUSE. ]

On the subject of people 'Getting what they pay for in Thai education' - oh how hilarious that statement is when you know the truth. Why do you think a Thai degree or even masters is worth little outside of Thailand ? Because like everywhere else in T'land CORRUPT practices mean that each qualification is LITERALLY paid for one way or another. I have a London Uni PhD etc, and as soon as i was rumbled as 'dr' i was offered money from Thai postgrad students to write their dissertations for them - 'name yr price'. I refused, even though i did do a huge amount of editing of one 10,000-word piece as a one-time favour. I never did it again. Same with Thai teachers trying to get promotion - money under the table every time. And are you aware of the way those Thai head-teachers and Directors of education manage to go to all those social functions almost every night of the week ? By slicing their 'comimssion' off the budgets they are given to buy school equipment and supplies. You sound like a really 'nice' happy guy - maybe a touch on the hippy side ? (apologies if that offends) - but i really doubt that you know more than 10% of what really goes on in the Land of Wiles. Good luck if you take the leap, but i would absolutely not do it.

But hey - you've already decided haven't you ? :-)

Too hot, too depressed by suicidal road-nuts - this post is so bad-tempered i've Reported myself for being offensive ! Do whatever you think is best for ALL the family, but do at least look all around the world for other warm climes. With that level of monthly rental income your choices are many. [if my Report is acted on, the rant will disappear.]

No I dont think it is, It tells it EXACTLY how it is.....how u can deal with it is another matter.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if u care about your daughter I would never let her set foot in Thailand until shes 18+, I personally find the Thai culture abhorrent, selfish un-caring , engrossed in their religious fantasy indoctrinated with bs throughout

Heh, that's one opinion! Abhorrent, that's harsh. That broad brush is pretty harsh too. Do you still live there? There are people engrossed in religious fantasy everywhere... as well as the selfish and uncaring. I didn't find my Thai friend who lent me her motorbike for a year to be selfish, nor the ones who loaded their pickup truck to help us move from Rat'buri to Koh Phangan. The Thai strangers that drove my wife and daughter to their departing bus were pretty caring too...

But thanks. I DO care about my daughter's well-being more than anything.

Sounds like you should leave if you're still there...

I would like to add, there's only one religion that has never nor will never be debunked. Yep! Buddhism.

It has been debunked and they always tell us its not a religion...............how about rebirth? show us the evidence but this thread is not about religion so best left there

Bring your kids to Thailand, its the greatest country on earth with the best system of government and finest education Ive ever seen, all Thais are friendly and will do anything to help you................is that better?

kannot, I thanked you for your post. I'm not closed to your opinion, it's just that such broad abhorrence of everything Thai just doesn't help me much. I welcome critiques of the education system and pointing out frustrating pieces of the culture or government, and stumbling blocks to settling, but some specifics would be better than your broad distaste for everything Thai.

Probably quite important once you settle here to go slowly getting chummy with farang, especially those eager to share their opinions on everything and who dismiss everything in Thailand as "abhorrent." They're quite sticky and nearly impossible to get free of.

Whatever you do, don't ever ask them why, if they're so unhappy here, they chose to live here or continue to do so. By their rules asking that is not allowed. It would imply they were at fault. After all, they chose to live here, so out of gratitude Thailand ought to change to suit them.

Your contribution to this thread is where exactly???

I'm sure there's beautiful places in Canada you could relocate to, for your daughter's sake.

Vancouver island and better weather too with the sea helping the climate no end

I went to UVic on Vancouver island. Love the west coast--that's totally my vibe--but the bleak winters kill me. Yeah, winter is shorter, but it's dark and pouring rain for 100 days in a row. That's exactly what I need to get away from.

I'm sure there's beautiful places in Canada you could relocate to, for your daughter's sake.

Vancouver island and better weather too with the sea helping the climate no end

I went to UVic on Vancouver island. Love the west coast--that's totally my vibe--but the bleak winters kill me. Yeah, winter is shorter, but it's dark and pouring rain for 100 days in a row. That's exactly what I need to get away from.

you can soon get tired of the heat here as already mentioned, Im currently doing a lot of concreting and it is really oppressive, we start at 6 am stop at 10 then start again at 4 until 7pm and even then its 39c in late afternoon, Im drinking about 6-8 litres of water a day,the problem is I "do" understand about the weather as coming form the UK and working outside a lot I found it pretty miserable with never ending rain and dark days. Ideally I would have lived somewhere else with a more reasonable temperature range.Hawaii or similar.

What will your wife do all day in Thailand? Thailand is a great place for a bloke, but can be hard on older foreign woman unless they have a fulfilling life and good support network (hard to achieve in rural Thailand).

Having said this, why put yourself and your family through another Canadian winter? You could look at your wife and child staying in Canada while you try it for a year. They can come visit you for holidays and vice versa.

You will need to put your daughter in a good EP school which may limit where you can teach and live. She won't be picked on or teased in a Thai school, but she will never be assimilated or made to feel really welcome. Thai people will never understand why you have put her into a Thai school for the 'experience'. Anyone you have to deal with in authority will be uncomfortable about the situation. I'm sure she will pick up Thai easily enough from her classmates and teachers in an EP school.

Great post, thanks Steve. My wife also making a life there is definitely something we're talking a lot about. Her integration and happiness in a lot of ways is of greater concern. We both think our daughter would be fine. My wife would love to run a guest house, but I see all kinds of barriers there, from work permits to property ownership. I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has a guest house. Neither of us are Thai so I understand we'd need a Thai business partner, which is pretty frightening. Info is appreciated.

Good to hear those thoughts on EP schools. Those fees are easily doable. I'm thinking Phet'buri, Rat'buri, ChaAm, HuanHin area...

Thanks again for the responses

EDIT: I should have added that my wife already makes most of her income teaching online, so she has skills and income there. But finding community and friendships, that's a greater challenge. I don't see her learning Thai to the degree that I have or will, so we'll need to straddle Thai culture and the expat community.

»My wife would love to run a guest house, but I see all kinds of barriers there, from work permits to property ownership. I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has a guest house. Neither of us are Thai so I understand we'd need a Thai business partner, which is pretty frightening. Info is appreciated.«

There usually some guesthouses or bungalow resorts up for lease, so you don't need to invest in property; which can be both difficult and risky as foreigner. To run a business you will need a Thai company limited, which a lawyer can set up for you. Foreigners can only hold up to 49 percent of the shares, but an experienced business lawyer will be able to advise you about a usable company set-up for the purpose in question.

I know one extremely succesful Swedish guesthouse owner in Hua Hin, and I've seen farang owned or controlled guesthouses all over Thailand. My major knowledge is of course from the area I live in and familiar with, Samui, and here are many farang-owned or leased guesthouses or bungalow resorts; the majority seem to de well – I have friends doing well – and in between some few not succeeding. One of my friends is a Swedish lady, who runs a smaller guest house on her own – with some Thai staff of course; "on her own" meaning no Thai spouse – and she has been successful enough to "survive" for as long as I've been coming here, so some 15 years (at least).

One of the Thai Visa users often posts about his guest houses at Phuket – he talks about he on his third now – and he has recently mentioned he wish to retire, if someone is interested in taking-over. I don't know the status, but perhaps worth contacting him with a PM (personal message), if your are serious about it, his name is: simon43.

Staying in an area like Hua Hin, Phuket or Samui – or the like, not to forget Chiang Mai – also gives you good EP-school possibilities, and community/friendship options with both locals and expats.

smile.png

What will your wife do all day in Thailand? Thailand is a great place for a bloke, but can be hard on older foreign woman unless they have a fulfilling life and good support network (hard to achieve in rural Thailand).

Having said this, why put yourself and your family through another Canadian winter? You could look at your wife and child staying in Canada while you try it for a year. They can come visit you for holidays and vice versa.

You will need to put your daughter in a good EP school which may limit where you can teach and live. She won't be picked on or teased in a Thai school, but she will never be assimilated or made to feel really welcome. Thai people will never understand why you have put her into a Thai school for the 'experience'. Anyone you have to deal with in authority will be uncomfortable about the situation. I'm sure she will pick up Thai easily enough from her classmates and teachers in an EP school.

Great post, thanks Steve. My wife also making a life there is definitely something we're talking a lot about. Her integration and happiness in a lot of ways is of greater concern. We both think our daughter would be fine. My wife would love to run a guest house, but I see all kinds of barriers there, from work permits to property ownership. I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has a guest house. Neither of us are Thai so I understand we'd need a Thai business partner, which is pretty frightening. Info is appreciated.

Good to hear those thoughts on EP schools. Those fees are easily doable. I'm thinking Phet'buri, Rat'buri, ChaAm, HuanHin area...

Thanks again for the responses

EDIT: I should have added that my wife already makes most of her income teaching online, so she has skills and income there. But finding community and friendships, that's a greater challenge. I don't see her learning Thai to the degree that I have or will, so we'll need to straddle Thai culture and the expat community.

»My wife would love to run a guest house, but I see all kinds of barriers there, from work permits to property ownership. I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has a guest house. Neither of us are Thai so I understand we'd need a Thai business partner, which is pretty frightening. Info is appreciated.«

There usually some guesthouses or bungalow resorts up for lease, so you don't need to invest in property; which can be both difficult and risky as foreigner. To run a business you will need a Thai company limited, which a lawyer can set up for you. Foreigners can only hold up to 49 percent of the shares, but an experienced business lawyer will be able to advise you about a usable company set-up for the purpose in question.

I know one extremely succesful Swedish guesthouse owner in Hua Hin, and I've seen farang owned or controlled guesthouses all over Thailand. My major knowledge is of course from the area I live in and familiar with, Samui, and here are many farang-owned or leased guesthouses or bungalow resorts; the majority seem to de well – I have friends doing well – and in between some few not succeeding. One of my friends is a Swedish lady, who runs a smaller guest house on her own – with some Thai staff of course; "on her own" meaning no Thai spouse – and she has been successful enough to "survive" for as long as I've been coming here, so some 15 years (at least).

One of the Thai Visa users often posts about his guest houses at Phuket – he talks about he on his third now – and he has recently mentioned he wish to retire, if someone is interested in taking-over. I don't know the status, but perhaps worth contacting him with a PM (personal message), if your are serious about it, his name is: simon43.

Staying in an area like Hua Hin, Phuket or Samui – or the like, not to forget Chiang Mai – also gives you good EP-school possibilities, and community/friendship options with both locals and expats.

smile.png

but kannot said...

Thanks again khunper. This is very helpful and in line with our ideas. I'll connect with Simon43. HuaHin/ChaAm/Phetchaburi would be our first choice, Samui second, for the reasons you cited. If any of your friends are looking for an exit or a year off please let me know. :)

I really don't see any logic whatsoever in what you are trying to do.

To be a successful "businessman" in Thailand, you need a trustworthy Thai partner. I have never seen a farang couple run anything successful in Thailand.

Also, moving in your 40's with a family and kids is just wrong. I have been here only 3 years, but have learned to appreciate the benefits of Canadian healthcare especially since I started suffering from something chronic (I used to be a Canadian basher - not anymore). Your health will pay a price if something happens in Thailand, unless you have a premium insurance. Even then, most doctors here just.... suck. Also, every year you are outside Canada you are losing your pension benefits.

As mentioned before, you will not be renting your house for $3000 USD a month. Canadian non resident tax will kick in plus the management fees. So, count on around 2300 USD a month. I do hope you have a good accountant because CRA penalties can be quire harsh if taxes are not done properly and they just love to audit people who suddenly leave Canada.

However, the good thing about Canada is that they will take you back if things don't work out and you have a house to come back to.

Bring your daughter to be educated in a rural Thai school, because you don't like the weather in your home country, a country with a reputation of having a very good education system and excellent health care..... It's verging on child abuse, selfish to the extreme

As KhunPer said, Simon43 is looking to offload his guesthouse. You may even come to some sort of management arrangement.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/911572-the-frustration-of-trying-to-sell-a-successful-business/

May be a compromise that will get your wife onside better.

Nothing wrong with being an optimist. :)

Phuket is not where I want to be, but this is intriguing. Thanks for the link to the thread.

When reading the OP I thought that this has to be a troll thread, no way this guy is this naive and/or selfish to believe what he is writing and there will be no more replies from him to this bait. But there was and apparently he is.

Another similar parent of the year nominee who springs to mind is a guy on here who previously said that he is raising his kids in Isaan, with an Isaan education, because he likes to play golf and he can afford to in Thailand but not in his home country. I'll never forget that guy.

OP; you obviously already had your mind made up when you made this thread and you just want members to confirm your poor life decision, and of course you will find other people who are just as deluded or biased as yourself who will tell you that bringing your daughter at the beginning of her educational life to Thailand because you want to live there is a good idea. So just do it but make sure you bear all the responsibility for your choice but it is all totally on you.

FYI, after living in Thailand (Bangkok and Isaan) for 6 years I moved my family back to the UK just before my oldest child was about to start first school. After everything I experienced in those 6 years there was no way I could let my kids grow up there knowing how much better off they would be growing up in the UK. And I expect your comeback will be that I hate Thailand or Thai people but you'd be totally wrong, I moved to Thailand because I loved it, I stayed there for 6 years because I loved it and we will go back every summer holidays because I still love it and my Thai family. However I love it for me, and if we didn't have kids we would still be living there. After we had our first child I quickly realised that they would be much better off growing up in the UK compared to Thailand so that's what we did. I made a huge life decision and sacrifice and did what was best for them, the exact opposite of what you are proposing.

One thing that I always thought about while we were still in Thailand; nobody has ever, ever said these words: "I'm going to move my kids from the UK to Thailand so they can get the best education and the most wholesome and safe upbringing I can afford them". However, how many millions of people have done the reverse and moved from a 3rd world country to Europe to give their kids the best opportunities?

Edited by KunMatt

When reading the OP I thought that this has to be a troll thread, no way this guy is this naive and/or selfish to believe what he is writing and there will be no more replies from him to this bait. But there was and apparently he is.

Another similar parent of the year nominee who springs to mind is a guy on here who previously said that he is raising his kids in Isaan, with an Isaan education, because he likes to play golf and he can afford to in Thailand but not in his home country. I'll never forget that guy.

OP; you obviously already had your mind made up when you made this thread and you just want members to confirm your poor life decision, and of course you will find other people who are just as deluded or biased as yourself who will tell you that bringing your daughter at the beginning of her educational life to Thailand because you want to live there is a good idea. So just do it but make sure you bear all the responsibility for your choice but it is all totally on you.

FYI, after living in Thailand (Bangkok and Isaan) for 6 years I moved my family back to the UK just before my oldest child was about to start first school. After everything I experienced in those 6 years there was no way I could let my kids grow up there knowing how much better off they would be growing up in the UK. And I expect your comeback will be that I hate Thailand or Thai people but you'd be totally wrong, I moved to Thailand because I loved it, I stayed there for 6 years because I loved it and we will go back every summer holidays because I still love it and my Thai family. However I love it for me, and if we didn't have kids we would still be living there. After we had our first child I quickly realised that they would be much better off growing up in the UK compared to Thailand so that's what we did. I made a huge life decision and sacrifice and did what was best for them, the exact opposite of what you are proposing.

One thing that I always thought about while we were still in Thailand; nobody has ever, ever said these words: "I'm going to move my kids from the UK to Thailand so they can get the best education and the most wholesome and safe upbringing I can afford them". However, how many millions of people have done the reverse and moved from a 3rd world country to Europe to give their kids the best opportunities?

Aside from your preface where you felt the need to take all kinds of shots and make all kinds of assumptions about me and my forthcoming response to your post, this is a post that has a perspective for me to consider. I wouldn't have assumed you hate everything Thai because you gave no indication of that, whereas the others who I pinned that attitude on had said so pretty much verbatim in their opening replies. Could you not have made the same post without all of the snark? Big of you to make your "huge sacrifice" after six years of living the life in Thailand. While you were doing that, I was busting my azz in Canada building my career, buying a home and saving for a future where I could work less and spend more time raising and educating my kid while giving her invaluable life experiences for her future. Good for you for doing what you think is best for your family. Aren't we all.

(I know two Lao-Canadian kids whose family left Canada to raise them in Isaan. They went to high school in Singapore and have gone on to have successful careers with multiple degrees from international colleges and universities. They've returned to Canada, but it doesn't seem as though those childhood years in Thailand stunted their potential. It may have served them well. They are mature, worldly and multilingual in ways that many a Canadian kid in their 20s are woefully short on. They're doing well in life and will continue to do so. Different strokes)

Aside from your preface where you felt the need to take all kinds of shots and make all kinds of assumptions about me and my forthcoming response to your post, this is a post that has a perspective for me to consider. I wouldn't have assumed you hate everything Thai because you gave no indication of that, whereas the others who I pinned that attitude on had said so pretty much verbatim in their opening replies. Could you not have made the same post without all of the snark? Big of you to make your "huge sacrifice" after six years of living the life in Thailand. While you were doing that, I was busting my azz in Canada building my career, buying a home and saving for a future where I could work less and spend more time raising and educating my kid while giving her invaluable life experiences for her future. Good for you for doing what you think is best for your family. Aren't we all.

(I know two Lao-Canadian kids whose family left Canada to raise them in Isaan. They went to high school in Singapore and have gone on to have successful careers with multiple degrees from international colleges and universities. They've returned to Canada, but it doesn't seem as though those childhood years in Thailand stunted their potential. It may have served them well. They are mature, worldly and multilingual in ways that many a Canadian kid in their 20s are woefully short on. They're doing well in life and will continue to do so. Different strokes)

You think I was just partying for 6 years in Thailand? I'm younger than you so how do you think I was able to have 2 kids in Bumrungrad hospital, build a house in Thailand, buy a house in the UK, sort out visas (for me in Thailand and my wife in UK), passports for my kids, flights etc? Thailand is not a cheap country if you want a decent life. How much do you think international schools cost in Thailand? I'll give you a clue; the K1 year my son attended in Bangkok cost more than the salary you are planning to make in Thailand. Even without the school fees our monthly outgoings in Bangkok were at least 100k baht a month. On top of that my wife got seriously ill in Bangkok and the fees were astronomical for the treatment and the repeat visits she had to make. Yes, there are free Thai hospitals but a free Thai hospital diagnosed a stroke as stress and gave her a ton of pills for a headache. It wasn't until she went private that she was properly diagnosed. And this a good example of Thailand: every thing is cheap if you want cheap quality, and everything is fine until the day it isn't. If you want decent expat quality then it will usually cost you more than in your home country.

Like I said, you are not here to make your mind up, you already have decided that you want to move your family to Thailand for you, the purpose of this thread is for you to prove to yourself with a confirmation bias that it was the right decision which is why you click Like on every post that tells you to do it and you argue with everyone that says it is a ridiculous suggestion.

The reason for my condescending post before is because you are in the same category as that guy I mentioned before who is raising his kid in Isaan because he wants to play golf which I find disgusting. You are not doing what is best for your family as you put it, you are clearly doing what you want to do for your own selfish wants. So just do whatever you want because I really don't care what happens to your daughter, that's your biggest responsibility.

If you really wanted to live in Asia because of education then I'd suggest Singapore. If you cannot afford that then you cannot afford the best option for your family. Planning to raise your family in a rural part of one of the worst ranked countries in the ASEAN for education is a terrible idea, especially when you have the easy option to raise them in Canada which any Thai would literally jump at the idea of.

You think I was just partying for 6 years in Thailand? I'm younger than you so how do you think I was able to have 2 kids in Bumrungrad hospital, build a house in Thailand, buy a house in the UK, sort out visas (for me in Thailand and my wife in UK), passports for my kids, flights etc? Thailand is not a cheap country if you want a decent life. How much do you think international schools cost in Thailand? I'll give you a clue; the K1 year my son attended in Bangkok cost more than the salary you are planning to make in Thailand. Even without the school fees our monthly outgoings in Bangkok were at least 100k baht a month. On top of that my wife got seriously ill in Bangkok and the fees were astronomical for the treatment and the repeat visits she had to make. Yes, there are free Thai hospitals but a free Thai hospital diagnosed a stroke as stress and gave her a ton of pills for a headache. It wasn't until she went private that she was properly diagnosed. And this a good example of Thailand: every thing is cheap if you want cheap quality, and everything is fine until the day it isn't. If you want decent expat quality then it will usually cost you more than in your home country.

Like I said, you are not here to make your mind up, you already have decided that you want to move your family to Thailand for you, the purpose of this thread is for you to prove to yourself with a confirmation bias that it was the right decision which is why you click Like on every post that tells you to do it and you argue with everyone that says it is a ridiculous suggestion.

The reason for my condescending post before is because you are in the same category as that guy I mentioned before who is raising his kid in Isaan because he wants to play golf which I find disgusting. You are not doing what is best for your family as you put it, you are clearly doing what you want to do for your own selfish wants. So just do whatever you want because I really don't care what happens to your daughter, that's your biggest responsibility.

If you really wanted to live in Asia because of education then I'd suggest Singapore. If you cannot afford that then you cannot afford the best option for your family. Planning to raise your family in a rural part of one of the worst ranked countries in the ASEAN for education is a terrible idea, especially when you have the easy option to raise them in Canada which any Thai would literally jump at the idea of.

I like possibility thinkers. Call it confirmation bias, whatever. If there are people who have made raising a family in Thailand work, I'm interested in hearing about how. I'm interested in hearing about the struggles and how they overcame them. IF we decide, as a couple, to make this move, that's the info that will help us succeed. Those who are discouraging it, if they give advice based on direct experience, that's worth something. "I'm moving my family home because..." is great. Pointing me to ASEAN Education rankings--great info. (Yeah, I was disgusted and disappointed to see that ranking). Where you have me wrong, is thinking that my mind is made up. It's not. That's why I keep coming back here.

As KhunPer said, Simon43 is looking to offload his guesthouse. You may even come to some sort of management arrangement.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/911572-the-frustration-of-trying-to-sell-a-successful-business/

May be a compromise that will get your wife onside better.

Nothing wrong with being an optimist. smile.png

Phuket is not where I want to be, but this is intriguing. Thanks for the link to the thread.

I know, but, but for the fact it is in Phuket it may be the sort of thing you are looking for.

I do know a guy who has set up a guesthouse in Chiang Rai, but with a Thai wife. Maybe some sort of niche health resort possibly for Israelis (although they can be difficult :) ) may interest your wife. Niche normally means a bit more of a return.

I like possibility thinkers. Call it confirmation bias, whatever. If there are people who have made raising a family in Thailand work, I'm interested in hearing about how. I'm interested in hearing about the struggles and how they overcame them. IF we decide, as a couple, to make this move, that's the info that will help us succeed. Those who are discouraging it, if they give advice based on direct experience, that's worth something. "I'm moving my family home because..." is great. Pointing me to ASEAN Education rankings--great info. (Yeah, I was disgusted and disappointed to see that ranking). Where you have me wrong, is thinking that my mind is made up. It's not. That's why I keep coming back here.

Yes, this is a way to go.

Believe it or not I joined Thai forums in 2007 - 6 years before I moved to read about real life experiences. It has helped me a lot to pick a right woman and establish some ties in Canada in case I crash and burn. Mind you, I don't have kids, so the choices I make can be selfish and I can be lazy regarding income if I don't feel like working.

Even after all this "research" and a relatively worry free life in Bangkok I still think Thailand is a bad place to live and I will definitely NOT be here in my retirement. I think it's just dangerous. If I have kids, they won't live here past the age of 5.

Think, think hard man. Weed out the BS from forums (some stories are exaggerated, but a lot of them do make sense) and make a decision.

Edited by theguyfromanotherforum

Yes, this is a way to go.

Believe it or not I joined Thai forums in 2007 - 6 years before I moved to read about real life experiences. It has helped me a lot to pick a right woman and establish some ties in Canada in case I crash and burn. Mind you, I don't have kids, so the choices I make can be selfish and I can be lazy regarding income if I don't feel like working.

Even after all this "research" and a relatively worry free life in Bangkok I still think Thailand is a bad place to live and I will definitely NOT be here in my retirement. I think it's just dangerous. If I have kids, they won't live here past the age of 5.

Think, think hard man. Weed out the BS from forums (some stories are exaggerated, but a lot of them do make sense) and make a decision.

I guarantee that he is moving to Thailand and nothing will convince him otherwise. The only thing that can stop him is if he cannot afford it or if his wife won't let him, other than that he already knows what he wants to do.

Find somewhere nicer to live in Canada, maybe in the countryside, buy sunlamps,cover your living room floor with sand, play ocean waves soundtracks, be happy that you didn't screw up your daughter's education, her future, her life.

Canadian schooling vs Thai Public? Are you nuts? Huge detriment to your daughter if you choose Thai education. Methinks you want to live in Thailand a bit more than the concern of the life-altering affects of a Thai education on your daughter.

Canadian schooling vs Thai Public? Are you nuts? Huge detriment to your daughter if you choose Thai education. Methinks you want to live in Thailand a bit more than the concern of the life-altering affects of a Thai education on your daughter.

Ding ding ding. We have another winner.

Heres's what you could do but it will take a number of years

: Become a fully qualified teacher and apply to work in higher end international schools. Then your kids get free education of a higher standard than back home. It's not easy but with patience you can be successful.

DO NOT under any circumstances put your children in a Thai public school or even a Thai private school. Apart from the substandard education she will receive she will also be a victim of discrimination and racial prejudice on a daily basis. I've worked in the Thai education system for over ten years...

I'm really interested in hearing your range--and from what I've learned of this place, there'll be a range!--of thoughts on this. Are there serious holes I've overlooked? What problems can you foresee.

It seems like you have considered the Work Permit situation – teaching for a couple of years – and then as dependent on wife's Visa-extension based on retirement. I think "applying for residency" can be a fairly long lasting process, from what I've read in other threads here.

Your daughter seems to be the main concern, as an income in the area of 3,000 USD/month, i.e. some 90,000 bath/month, can provide for a comfortable life in Thailand.

I've been living here for 10 years now, on retirement extension, and have a daughter, now 10 years old; however the mother/my girlfriend is Thai, and my daughter also Thai citizen.

So based on my experience, here is what I see:

Economy

When you, or rather your wife, reach retirement extension status, do plan to have the 800k baht in a permanent fixed bank account, that's more easy than any other method.

When you move to Thailand, plan to have some cash reserve in an easy accessable Thai bank account for emergency – often called "rainy day account" – the amount is of course a question what the individual family can afford to set aside, but enough an acute event.

Health insurance

An often debated matter is Health Insurance. None of your are eligible for free health care – however when you are working as teacher, you can apply for Thai Social Security, which will cost you 1,500 baht/month, and give only you healthcare at public hospitals – so some level of insurance is important. A well covering combined Health and Personal Accident for a family can easily cost you 10 percent, or more, of your monthly allowance.

Apart from your work as teacher, it's also a question of school for your daughter. Up rural north rent and some livings costs are cheaper, but teacher salaries are also little lower, and schools not very good – at least, that's what I always hear, including from Thais. So have in mind that "Hua Hin" – or another more up-level spot – may not be that out-of-question.

School

Many will say don't even think about a Thai school, but I disagree, as long as you choose something else than rural village schools, and especially if you can afford an English Programme school.

Don't wait with the EP school till later – they do teach enough in Thai language and Thai skills and tradition – if you find a good one, you will even be pretty close to level of some International Schools, but of course without IS-certification.

Some EP schools include K1 to K3, where the Kindergarten student become well prepared for the following levels from P1 and up.

A good EP-school will have a mix of foreign kids and Thai nationals, giving your child wider aspects and variety of play mates, than a Thai public school.

Your daughter can be well prepared for later high school and whatever she wish, when starting with an EP school. I have compared the Thai EP school we chose for my daughter, with the schools from my homeland, Denmark, that is supposed to be quite good – both my Danish friends, including teachers, and I find the Thai EP-school much better.

Be prepared that a good EP-school will cost you from 30,000 baht/term and up – there are two terms, running from mid May till October, and November till ultimo March – including tuition fees, books, lunch, uniforms, school-bus, you shall count some 80,000 to 150,000 baht/year; which can fit into a 90,000 baht/month budget, I talk from experience.

Ineternational Schools are more expensive – just their certification is expensive – I don't recall I've seen any under the 400k level.

Budget

Your figure of 90,000 baht/month sounds fair enough, including EP-school fees, but it's of course a question of what life-style one need and how much one wish to spend – it can be done for less; and you can easily spend (a lot) more.

I wish you good luck with your plans.

You will probably not find any foreign kids(100%) in any EP program anywhere in Thailand. You will find the occasional mixed race child. Teachers at a proper international school will be fully certified and professional teachers with experience from home. The 'teachers' you will find at an EP programme school in the middle of nowhere will have no teaching credentials other than a TEFL that anyone with a degree can get.

You all seem to be worried about language skills. Of course they are important but do you want your child to learn Science or Maths etc from unqualified teachers? (History and geography are not really taught properly)

Also, Thai schools, while great fun, spend a large part of every academic year preparing for shows, parades, sports day etc.. A large part of academic time is lost every year. While I do see the value of these events for THAI kids it might mean that any foreign kids, expecting to return to their own country someday, fall behind their own counterparts at home.

Your child would receive 'expat Thai' in an international school. This is a Thai language class for expat kids and is usually 3 or four times a week. This class is often not very successful. The rest of the international school curriculum will be similar to a school in UK,US etc... Some Int schools will have a large % of Thai kids. This means that Thai becomes the language of the playground even though English is supposed to be. This would be good for your child as they can pick up Thai from their friends.

Some int schools will have over 50 nationalities and these schools can be great for the development of multi cultural kids. You seen to want to broaden your kids horizons by bringing them up in a multi cultural environment. This will be found in international schools and not in some EP program near Cha am or elsewhere outside Bangkok.

I have lived in Thailand for over 12 years and am currently working as a teacher in an int school. I previously taught in private Thai schools and had a few ,brief, experiences in public schools here. As mentioned above, you should become a fully qualified teacher yourself and get two years teaching experience at home. Then you can move anywhere in the world and be guaranteed free international educational for your child. The salaries are also good and will help you save for your pension etc. I left Thailand for three long years to become fully certified as a teacher and gain experience. I haven't looked back.

One thing not mentioned - don't know much about this, but remember your daughter when she becomes 21? will also require a visa if you have not got thai citizenship (which is hard to get). She may have to leave Thailand ......

My 4 year old daughter, who i previously mentioned, goes to the second best school in the city (that offers education all the way through to 18). I would consider it the minimum, there are a number of half thai children there, possibly one or 2 farang. Fortunately not to expensive, about 35-40,000 baht a year. As she has a thai mother, at least no nationality issues.

I do wonder whether to take her back to the UK at some stage for her education, but it will not be easy - mother may not be keen on that and finding somewhere adequate to live hideously expensive. A decision put off until another day. From what i vaguely remember, there were a couple of thai children at my son's school in the UK, I think they took a couple of years to catch up - when aged about 12.

But your daughter is half Thai so it is beneficial for her to be in a Thai school to prepare her for life here. However the OP's child is a foreigner and would be much more suited to an Int school. Kids are amazingly adaptable and she probably would pick up Thai but in the long term it is better for her to be in the int school system.

You are asking the wrong group. Most here are burned out negative cynics. But your child would need to learn Thai to start school. There are many cultural differences and most Thais, especially in the North are decent people but they drink too much.

you may call us burnt out cynics, but many of us are also very experienced thai expats. even if i had the money to spend my kids to high end international schools i would not. i want them to grow up grounded, surrounded by middle class people.

There are many middle class international schools priced at around 300- 400 k a year...You don't have to send the kids to Patana or Shrewsbury.There are almost 100 international schools in Thai..

If you are interested in ensuring your daughter has a good education then that will not be found within the Thai public school system especially in a rural area.

Unless you can afford to enroll the child with one of the better International Schools which provide an education based on a UK/US syllabus then IMHO you are condemning your daughter to guaranteed academic underachievement. The facts are easily found.

Think carefully before acting out a dream.

Thanks John. I appreciate this post. Did you have kids attend schools in Thailand?

Do you not think that 3 years of HS in a quality International School would be enough to reopen those post-secondary opportunities?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I have three kids in school ... a quality international school. The school runs Kindergarden through grade 12. The school fees/food/transport are B900,000 per child (CDN$33,300 per child). Then there is a one time joining fee/building fund of B500,000. The school is very good, better than a public school in Canada, so you sacrifice nothing in terms of education quality. The teachers are all qulified expats. There are 5 or so such schools in the Bangkok area ... maybe none in the rest of the country. The annual fee increase is in the area of 6-9%. If you can pay for this on a teachers salary, problem solved, your kids will get a great education. There are some middle ground schools that are a bit cheaper but they don't offer an IB program so an overseas universities will be skeptical. The Thai schools will not be a realistic option for you. The teachers are underqualified and the system is medieval. Even if your kids overcome the language barrier they will be teased and picked on for being different/foreigners. To give you a taste of this, some of my Thai freinds (both parents Thai) had their children at a good international school (grade 3 and grade 5) and moved them to a top Thai school. It was a disaster ... language and teaching style. Kids had to be moved back to the international school. As I say, the education problem can be easily fixed by throwing money at it. Just want you to understand that the Thai education system is not a serious option for your kids

by and large I think OP need to do some more research

re education in Thailand

cost of living in Thailand (including rural areas)

potential income from a teacher position

potential income from renting out condos

price of purchase

health care and cost therof

establishing a quality family home/life in Thailand is not a giveaway

I wouldn't be too worried about the education bit which other posters seem to be kind of hysteric about,

provided your offspring is bright

enjoy Thailand!

(btw, my favourite city around the world is in Canada, Vancouver!!!)

by and large I think OP need to do some more research

re education in Thailand

cost of living in Thailand (including rural areas)

potential income from a teacher position

potential income from renting out condos

price of purchase

health care and cost therof

establishing a quality family home/life in Thailand is not a giveaway

I wouldn't be too worried about the education bit which other posters seem to be kind of hysteric about,

provided your offspring is bright

enjoy Thailand!

(btw, my favourite city around the world is in Canada, Vancouver!!!)

Define "bright"

"Bright" kids will, of course, deteriorate to the norm of what is expected by the environment in which they are placed.