Thai NRSA's Seree worried about opposition to draft charter

webfact

NRSA's Seree worried about opposition to draft charter

BANGKOK, 15 April 2016 (NNT) - A member of the National Reform Steering Assembly is worried about opposition to the draft charter by major political parties.

NRSA member Seree Suwannapanon, who is also the chairman of the committee in charge of political reform, said that the reaction from two major political parties, the Democrat Party and the Pheu Thai Party, clearly showed their opposition to the new draft of the Constitution, which will likely affect the public referendum process.

While noting that this is his personal view of the situation, Mr. Seree said that the issue is still worrying and the government must carefully look at it while urging all political groups to accept the people’s decision.

He added that, even if the draft charter passes the public referendum, it remains unlikely that the two parties would contemplate a union to form a government because of their differences and stances.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-04-15 footer_n.gif

urging all political groups to accept the people’s decision

What about urging the RTM to accept the people's decisions?

But no, the RTM operates beyond the bounds of the Peole's sovereignty ... outside of the People's constitutions.

When I lived 'up north' I remember my ex Thai g/f saying that for any election the ballot papers were not kept as 'secret' documents. It was always possible for the candidates/headman to be able to check the names of the voters and their voting choice(s) of candidate(s).

Whilst I haven't the right to vote because of my 'alien' status, it does concern me that any Thai citizen making the 'wrong' choice in the referendum might be the subject of AA or other censure activity.

In the current political climate I assume the military government holding Article 44 would be able to access ballot papers with impunity, and take whatever action they think appropriate against dissenters. Very worrying.

Edited by joebrown

Thai voters do realise that there is safety in numbers. If the vote is NO it will involve private discussions between friends and communities to make sure they are agreed on the vote. There is little the army can do if there is a massive rejection of their charter other than impose something on the people without asking them, And that will never be seen as legitimate.

Thai voters do realise that there is safety in numbers. If the vote is NO it will involve private discussions between friends and communities to make sure they are agreed on the vote. There is little the army can do if there is a massive rejection of their charter other than impose something on the people without asking them, And that will never be seen as legitimate.

Little the army can do? Who will be tallying the votes?