Motorbike Stolen or Moved?

haymanpl

I use a cheap sim card GSM tracker hidden in / on my bike. They don't stop the bike from being stolen, but increase the chances of recovery.

Here's an example of one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-SPY-Vehicle-GSM-GPRS-GPS-Tracker-Car-Vehicle-Tracking-Locator-Device-TK102B-/331670055170?hash=item4d39136902:g:7ZMAAOSwVL1WC8tA

596 from lazada http://www.lazada.co.th/new-mini-gps-gprs-gsm-tracker-car-vehicle-sms-real-time-network-monitor-tracking-intl-5384007.html

But shipped from outside Thailand ..

There are many different types. I only picked this one from Ebay as an example.

I had mine bought over for me. If I owned a big bike, I would get a proper unit, but for a scooter, one of these cheap DIY units offer a much better chance of recovery, if you can get to the bike before they discover the tracker.

I like the function where you can set a perimeter (geo-fencing) on the unit, so if the bike leaves that perimeter, you receive a notification on your phone, so you know when your bike is being moved / stolen.

A simple "kill switch" is also easy to install and cheap.

I would be interested in installing some of these on my bikes. Any suggestions on where to put them or how to install them?

I'm not going to say where I have concealed mine. There are some cavities and compartments on / in a motor scooter. Many are accessible by removing a screw, or two.

You can semi permanently attach them, and hard wire them to the battery, or you can have them accessible so a USB charging cable can be attached every couple of days. The USB charge cable can be from a power point or a battery bank. You charge them in the same way you charge a mobile phone. Cable ties or screws / bolts can be used to attach them.

If you want to easily remove them for charging, I suggest using a carabiner.

You must keep in mind that occasionally you have to remove the sim card and put it in a phone to either recharge the credit, or extend the credit validity, if using prepaid sim, so you really don't want to make it difficult to be able to remove the sim card.

Also, to my knowledge, they are not waterproof.

Sorry mate i meant the kill switch. I have used the GPS SIM card devices on my rental bikes before and they are a pain because the staff dont top up the credit on the SIMs. And they forget the numbers. Plus i am constantly buying and selling bikes. So a kill switch is much more practical

When you actually need footage from a security camera, you'll be told that "it doesn't work", or, that it's monitored real time only with no recording.

Exactly. I'm sure there's a excuse coming when i ask that question. Just hoping the insurance i paid for doesn't try and look for a way out of paying.

This is funny. My PCX was parked directly opposite a police camera. hahaha

25_04_16_093537.jpg

So when you made the police report did they review the video ?

No. They told me to go down and look for it as it's highly unlikely it's stolen ( PCX rarely stolen they say ).

I searched again today for 2 hours.

I conclude its either stolen or impounded as it looks like i did park in the red and white zone.

Visited the police this morning but have to go back at 4pm today.

WIll ask them today about the video.

Will update if have more news, good or bad.

@ Walkabout Man

Are are several different ways to make a kill switch.

A common method is to locate the ignition wire in the harness and cut into it and add a switch.

Some owners of the bigger bikes also add a fuel tap to their fuel line.

The type of kill switch I am talking about is an anti theft device, not a safety device that turns the bike off if you crash.

Edited by NamKangMan

Latest Update:

Spent over 3 hours at the Tourist police looking at camera footage and saw myself park exactly where i said at around 2.39am but, I also saw myself leave at 4.41 am, and head down towards Hooters and turn right towards the beach.

This is something i didn't know happened as i met some guy who was buying my Jack cokes and must have been pretty intoxicated.

I knew i went to several night clubs in Bangla Rd, but didn't realise i left half way thru and rode around along the beach past Bangla on the other side and turned right into a street where i parked at the rear of the VIP Room night club. This is where i found the PCX, in the same condition i left it and with the new Honda helmet on the handlebar.

The Thai tourist police where great. Big thanks to them and everyone here for the help and feedback.

The camera's do work and they keep footage for a fair amount of time because today is the 26th and i lost the bike on the 15th.

Happy ending. A GPS tracking device would have come in real handy.

Edited by haymanpl

Latest Update:

Spent over 3 hours at the Tourist police looking at camera footage and saw myself park exactly where i said at around 2.39am but, I also saw myself leave at 4.41 am, and head down towards Hooters and turn right towards the beach.

This is something i didn't know happened as i met some guy who was buying my Jack cokes and must have been pretty intoxicated.

I knew i went to several night clubs in Bangla Rd, but didn't realise i left half way thru and rode around along the beach past Bangla on the other side and turned right into a street where i parked at the rear of the VIP Room night club. This is where i found the PCX, in the same condition i left it and with the new Honda helmet on the handlebar.

The Thai tourist police where great. Big thanks to them and everyone here for the help and feedback.

The camera's do work and they keep footage for a fair amount of time because today is the 26th and i lost the bike on the 15th.

Happy ending. A GPS tracking device would have come in real handy.

Mystery solved. Drunk idiot driving around at 5am. How cliche. Would have been better if it was stolen, then less likely you kill someone driving drunk.