Samuijimmy's... Daily life in Thailand and what I see

Cleared of the other images in this thread

I nearly deleted this, but then thought it looks like a ghost melding into the rocks (the old lady who likes to show her leg!

untitled-59.jpg

That last photo looks like a million dollar shot. Unusual and out of the ordinary.........great..thumbsup.gif

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May I do a comment on your purple rubber ring ? cheesy.gif

It's not purple it WAS pink tongue.png

It died on the rocks when the kids were playing... I knew when I bought it, it would not last long... I brought an inner tube today... I'll be harder to find if lost at sea...laugh.png

Cleared of the other images in this thread

I nearly deleted this, but then thought it looks like a ghost melding into the rocks (the old lady who likes to show her leg!

untitled-59.jpg

That last photo looks like a million dollar shot. Unusual and out of the ordinary.........great..thumbsup.gif

Thanks KevJohn.... thumbsup.gif I been waiting years for a million $.... would you like to buy it!? biggrin.png

....unless anyone else wants to up the offer! tongue.png

I guess no offers...^sad.pnggiggle.gif

Well some better scenes for you guys today... rolleyes.gif

Russian girls on a photo shot... those bikinis must glow in the dark, not to mention the green hair`

Yes, the one in front does have a top on!

untitled-16.jpg

oh no the horizon is not straight tongue.pngfacepalm.gif

untitled-13.jpg

Oh no the wing blew off! laugh.png

untitled-58.jpg

That's straight now!

untitled-66.jpg

Another ten years for missy Bee

untitled-62.jpg

really!

untitled-49.jpg

Well I thought yesterday's images would be a bit more popular! shock1.giftongue.png ^^^

Today, my porters / guides took a different road route... a bit of an up and down trail... and through one of the oddest things built on Samui, a tunnel, from basically nowhere to nowhere...

Only the boys today!

untitled-46.jpg

untitled-56.jpg

untitled-11.jpg

One's worn out,

untitled-8.jpg

Oh ... he's decided to play Tarzan...

untitled-45.jpg

A few more of things I see .... saw..... today....

The "punk" found a snake skin ...actually we saw two!

untitled-33.jpg

off with it's head...

untitled-54.jpg

Cashew nuts, reminds me of rotting apples when they have been laying around a day or two

untitled-28.jpg

She's been carried away... I wonder if the sheep will stay?

untitled-16.jpg

It's Samui bike week, some bikes older than me! Now that's old!

untitled-31.jpg

Well I thought yesterday's images would be a bit more popular! shock1.giftongue.png ^^^

Today, my porters / guides took a different road route... a bit of an up and down trail... and through one of the oddest things built on Samui, a tunnel, from basically nowhere to nowhere...

Only the boys today!

<IMAGES INTENTIONALLY REMOVED>

One's worn out,

Oh ... he's decided to play Tarzan...

Thanks, great to see that tunnel, which I believe is the one that was so much of a mystery, about 10 years ago.

Reader-letters were posted in the then printed half-monthly newspaper, from people complaining about mysterious noise, day-and-night, in the Western area of Maenam – like the underground or mountain were shaking – nobody could find out why..!

I mentioned the mystery for a good friend, who had the right upward Samui connections. A few days later he told me, that someone had bought one of the left-over drilling machines from the construction of the first Bangkok metro line, and moved the machine to Samui to drill a tunnel through the rock to a private beach. Someone has bought a big plot of land with kind of private beach – could only be accessed from owners land – and the tunnel should be a extra entrance, or rather way out, as the owner never wish to stay somewhere without a back-up exit (anxiety disorder?). And it was not a super rich Thai drilling a hole to put his money into something, but a farang – apparently one of the richest men in the World, I was told..!

At that time there was an American registered silver-gray private jet permanently parked at Samui Airport for a couple of years, sometimes there were two; which make sense if connected to above mister rich.

A few years ago I saw the big plot of land – cannot remember the size, but more than 100 rai – including tunnel, advertised for sale – perhaps it's still available, if someone is dreaming about owing a private beach tunnel...biggrin.png

Thanks, great to see that tunnel, which I believe is the one that was so much of a mystery, about 10 years ago.

Reader-letters were posted in the then printed half-monthly newspaper, from people complaining about mysterious noise, day-and-night, in the Western area of Maenam – like the underground or mountain were shaking – nobody could find out why..!

I mentioned the mystery for a good friend, who had the right upward Samui connections. A few days later he told me, that someone had bought one of the left-over drilling machines from the construction of the first Bangkok metro line, and moved the machine to Samui to drill a tunnel through the rock to a private beach. Someone has bought a big plot of land with kind of private beach – could only be accessed from owners land – and the tunnel should be a extra entrance, or rather way out, as the owner never wish to stay somewhere without a back-up exit (anxiety disorder?). And it was not a super rich Thai drilling a hole to put his money into something, but a farang – apparently one of the richest men in the World, I was told..!

At that time there was an American registered silver-gray private jet permanently parked at Samui Airport for a couple of years, sometimes there were two; which make sense if connected to above mister rich.

A few years ago I saw the big plot of land – cannot remember the size, but more than 100 rai – including tunnel, advertised for sale – perhaps it's still available, if someone is dreaming about owing a private beach tunnel...biggrin.png

Well thanks for that information, Khun Per.... thumbsup.gifclap2.gifTen years, is two years before I moved to Samui!

I have always wondered about it... they also put in lights, now all gone but the wires all dangling down! One assumes not connected anymore.

As for the private beach part, In the winter months the tides there get pretty high... but there is access path, climbing over the small point where the last resort is on BanTai beach's sandy end to the west... at low tide one can just walk along. Also accessible from where the Freedom Bar is at the east end of Ban Por beach.......less than a ten minute walk between the two beaches!

The big house on the right side of the of the tunnel, was rumoured to be owned by a very famous English football star.... I never believed that!

They also built a 3 meter wall along a large section ... (Here too is a lonely beach vendor (very rare to see on Ban Por or Ban Tai beaches...) unlike your area of Maenam beach! tongue.png

untitled-27.jpg

The rocks jutting out in the centre of the picture are easy access during the low tide months.

untitled-40.jpg

Thanks for clarify that!

Only the boys today!

untitled-46.jpg

untitled-56.jpg

Interesting. I didn't know there was a tunnel on the island.

Where is it and how old is it. Looks pretty new.

I am not getting a reply block here, seems to be a few glitches this morning..

Khun Per gave a good report on the history... It's at Ban Tai Beach, Samui, walk west down the beach towards the end where the rocks are and look up over the wall... and you'll see it....

If you walk to the end of the wall it's easier to get up there and walk up and through the tunnel walk further and there are houses and you'll get to the ring road ... Obviously others do walk up or down, because there is a bit of a trail. Walk around the gate!

Part of the way up to the road looks like this!

untitled-42.jpg

Well thanks for that information, Khun Per.... thumbsup.gifclap2.gifTen years, is two years before I moved to Samui!

I have always wondered about it... they also put in lights, now all gone but the wires all dangling down! One assumes not connected anymore.

As for the private beach part, In the winter months the tides there get pretty high... but there is access path, climbing over the small point where the last resort is on BanTai beach's sandy end to the west... at low tide one can just walk along. Also accessible from where the Freedom Bar is at the east end of Ban Por beach.......less than a ten minute walk between the two beaches!

The big house on the right side of the of the tunnel, was rumoured to be owned by a very famous English football star.... I never believed that!

They also built a 3 meter wall along a large section ... (Here too is a lonely beach vendor (very rare to see on Ban Por or Ban Tai beaches...) unlike your area of Maenam beach! tongue.png

The rocks jutting out in the centre of the picture are easy access during the low tide months.

Thanks for clarify that!

The British football star is not a rumor – Mr. and Mrs. Beckham have one of their villas in that area, however said to be the smallest of their four homes. In the Samui-newspaper it was told, that they bought the land for 300 million baht (presumably rich enough to be elite VIPs under Taksin's government), a fairly large plot, and build a house for 100 million baht, so in all some 400 million baht; which did not put them in the real make-face-top-10, but presumably close. David wished the land, as his then football coach had/has the next door plot.smile.png

OK the "rumors" are true.... wink.png ^^

I guess someone found out too late about trying to have a private beach, since it all belongs to the King... rightly so too thumbsup.gif

(Not referring to the Beckhams)

It must have been a bit hard to swallow1 whistling.giftongue.png

untitled-43.jpg

Trips around Samui... I've had two in the last few days... Late April / May are sure some of the best conditions, except perhaps a little hot!

Lipa Beach, west side of Samui... (today)

untitled-6.jpg

Long tails.... Thaling Ngam area

untitled-12.jpg

Pot plants and tool caddy!

untitled-20.jpg

Thaling Ngam Temple .... it's had a face lift. New paint job and roof! Lost its character IMO.

untitled-23.jpg

Carrying on.. SW area of Samui

Headed through the Elephant archway

untitled-28.jpg

A new strain of coconut tree!.. Only on Samui!

untitled-30.jpg

View of Koh Tan ....

untitled-32.jpg

The Five islands from Conrad Hotel (these island are protected for birds nests... anyone approaching could be shot~ !

untitled-40.jpg

untitled-38.jpg

untitled-48.jpg

Southside..Samui

Tour boat.... (those mountains are on the mainland)

untitled-63.jpg

Coconut husker.. nice view!

untitled-75.jpg

Pretty little village of Bangkoa

untitled-79.jpg

Rural Samui....

untitled-81.jpg

This guy is star gazing,,,, and holding up traffic...whistling.gif Hau Thanon (the Muslim village on Samui)

untitled-85.jpg

Part one

I seemed to have missed last Sunday's semi annual picnic with my Thai friends .... Half way around Samui, to the Thaling Ngam area... Chauffeured in the back of a pickup.

Several stops at 7'11s on the way... there always is! facepalm.gif

untitled-22.jpg

Jumbo sized Shrimp chips, (never seen b4! )

untitled-23.jpg

Two holds ups on the way

We had to find another way around ferry traffic line up

untitled-28.jpg

Then wait for PEA to drop their poles!

untitled-40.jpg

Arrive and set out the picnic!

untitled-60.jpg

Tie up the dog and lay the hot dog on the shoe... blink.png

untitled-61.jpg

Part two...

Thaling Ngam beach, (it probably has another name, but that's close enough!

Yes! ....you look gorgeous ..

untitled-75.jpg

Scare the heck out of his uncle.. (Squid for fishing)

untitled-80.jpg

Walk past the fancy Intercontinental Hotel...

untitled-79.jpg

And along the boat launch / pier

untitled-86.jpg

Nice view!

untitled-87.jpg

First catch!.... Bottles for fishing line!

untitled-98.jpg

Mainland mountains in the background

untitled-106.jpg

I pressed for service, but no one came! It's hard to find good help these days....whistling.gif

untitled-124.jpg

I was just looking through some images from three years ago ... my last trip to Thali Noi Lake, Songkhla ... in April 2013....

My friends down in the area always rent a longtail boat and spend a few hours touring around the canals to the lake.

We are off...

IMG_8645.JPG

IMG_8681.JPG

IMG_8659.JPG

IMG_8721.JPG

IMG_8737.JPG

Scenery changes a lot between the canals and Thali Noi Lake

IMG_8769.JPG

Not the best spot being on the back of the boat!

IMG_8776.JPG

IMG_8845.JPG

IMG_9187.JPG

IMG_8671.JPG

Thanks Gobs, perhaps a good idea for people / members to revisit places ... and add to their WIS!

But today, it's back to Samui, Soi one Maenam...

We arrived just as the tour boats were coming back from Koh Toa and the National Marine Park.

untitled-28.jpg

untitled-16.jpg

Fill 'er up ..ready for the morning...

untitled-21.jpg

Clean the snorkeling masks

untitled-25.jpg

The Tour boats go to sleep for the night!

untitled-79.jpg

Part 2 for today!

Check out the monkey on the coconut tree...whistling.giftongue.png

untitled-76.jpg

Check out the "ship" wreck!

untitled-74.jpg

Watch the kids beach the boat...

untitled-70.jpg

And the dog helps too by trying to nip the ankle...

untitled-71.jpg

Fisherman searching for fish... he actually got some small smelts (I think that is what they are called)

untitled-62.jpg

The dog got a fish at least !

untitled-53.jpg

Big machine to move electric box!

untitled-54.jpg

and me looking like I am half way to Koh Phangan and water not deep enough for my back stretching sad.png

untitled-46.jpg

and to finish a Flame Tree!

untitled-7.jpg

Every year the Burmese on Samui have a Buddha Day Celebration... Some years it's a huge event and the Head Burmese monk attends, and thousands of Burmese attend ...

This year it was a much smaller event than in previous years... I was invited but to attend, but said I would not due to the risk of rain and a long drive! ... I then get a call saying you be ready in twenty minutes and we'll pick you up.

Hardly time to get my face on, a pickup shows up and off we go!

Dinner is served as soon as we arrive.... I have to say Burmese dishes do more for me than a lot of Thai dishes! Yum!

untitled-12.jpg

When dinner was done, the "old folks circle" was formed... with blessings and presents! Spot the odd one out! wink.png

untitled-14.jpg

There's a tradition to have finger and toe nails cut ....

untitled-23.jpg

She's tickling my feet!

untitled-29.jpg

Following is light my fire!

untitled-44.jpg

untitled-47.jpg

Give a drink of water to the Buddha!

untitled-51.jpg

untitled-52.jpg

Listen to Chanting

untitled-53.jpg

Food and drink continuously served...(no alcohol!)

untitled-64.jpg

Smiling dishwashers are kept busy!

untitled-75.jpg

for a while I think!facepalm.gif

untitled-76.jpg

End of part one!

Thanks Gobs, perhaps a good idea for people / members to revisit places ... and add to their WIS!

But today, it's back to Samui, Soi one Maenam...

We arrived just as the tour boats were coming back from Koh Toa and the National Marine Park.

untitled-28.jpg

Fill 'er up ..ready for the morning...

Clean the snorkeling masks

The Tour boats go to sleep for the night!

Boat powered by alien lifeforms, wearing hats that would electrocute them if they don't comply?

On Sunday, I got a phone call at 8 am.... I'd not even finished my coffee... You want to go to Thali? We Pick you up in 20 minutes! facepalm.gif

Turned out more than just going to the beach, half way on the other side of Samui...

We stopped to pick up some seeds that someone had brought from Isaan....

Meet with this... I thought the poor cock was about to meet it's end.

untitled-196.jpg

But was just being put in a cage, with a nice carpet!

untitled-197.jpg

Then someone showed up with a coconut picking monkey...

untitled-198.jpg

Reward time

untitled-183.jpg

Sloopy!

untitled-184.jpg

untitled-188.jpg

Amazing those little hands can pick coconuts...

untitled-195.jpg

Probably a days work!

untitled-180.jpg

ah cute puppy too!

untitled-202.jpg

End of that stop over!

Off again, .... Down Samui's country roads

untitled-171.jpg

National tree of Thailand

untitled-14.jpg

Through the tree arch...

untitled-210.jpg

Pass farm animals

untitled-132.jpg

Muma not showing her best side

untitled-133.jpg

Goats grazing...

untitled-130.jpg

Get to the beach and has to be about lowest tide of the year!

untitled-48.jpg

Crab fishing ladies busy!

untitled-56.jpg

Kids too

untitled-49.jpg

untitled-57.jpg

Enough for this evening! More to come! wink.png

Archived