thai-english teaching

chrisiom

Hi, i'm new to the forum so please go easy on me....smile.png

i have family in the isan region of thailand, Kalasin. I'm looking for a thai-english teacher, preferably of thai nationality (english fine). it is to teach my Thai family members 'better' english. I have looked online but only seem to see document translation or teaching advice for expats. I would be looking to hire for a few hours each week, preferably on weekends for the younger members. So to the question at hand... Can someone point me towards an thai-english teacher in the northeast who would be willing to travel to Kalasin for a few hours each weekend?

i think i have mentioned everything needed.

thanks again,

I don't wish to be harsh!

Thai school teachers are government employees. They have jobs for life, whether they are competent, incompetent or idle.. They have no interest in supplementary income and out of hours tuition. Talk to TV member lostinissan and see what you can come up with!!. No Thai teacher can teach your children/family "Better English" I have yet to meet a Thai teacher who can speak English , let alone "better". However you come to be in Kalasin, you'll have to do it yourself!! Unless you can find some mates.

Hello Chrisiom,

Your desire to help them learn English is admirable, though in the Kalasin area, this may prove to be very difficult. The number of competent English speakers in Kalasin province is very low, with some having a basic understanding of the spoken word but not having the ability to reply in English. What I find is that many know some of the words, but they lack the confidence to actually speak in English.

My Fiancé, who is from Somdet, (43 km from Kalasin) has the best English skills I have yet encountered in the area, and better than most others even in Bangkok. She has advanced skills that comes from extensive self-study after she completed the regular course of studies in school and while attending a private university in Bangkok.

Her son, who attends a private school here in Somdet and has taken one year of private English lessons, is improving but the level of education being provided is marginal at best, and we have recently discontinued the private lessons due to the low quality of the education being provided.

My Thai is very poor, (I am learning...), so we mostly speak English with the Fiancé translating as required, and this has significantly improved his skills in a very short period of time.

As others have said, it might be up to you to help improve the English skills of your family. When the school semester starts, I will be working with her son to improve both my Thai and his English by using his English studies as a common platform. Additionally, her brother, who is a local Mayor with a Masters degree has also asked me to help him...

While writing this reply, I remembered that once while we were having lunch at Cafe Frozen, (by the lake), the owner's daughter served us and had good English skills. My Fiancé later told me she attended an International school, hence the quality of her English. You might check to see if she or another student might be available to tutor -- Just a thought!

Good luck,

Troy

I don't wish to be harsh!

Thai school teachers are government employees. They have jobs for life, whether they are competent, incompetent or idle.. They have no interest in supplementary income and out of hours tuition. Talk to TV member lostinissan and see what you can come up with!!. No Thai teacher can teach your children/family "Better English" I have yet to meet a Thai teacher who can speak English , let alone "better". However you come to be in Kalasin, you'll have to do it yourself!! Unless you can find some mates.

<<They have no interest in supplementary income and out of hours tuition.>>

I've noticed the opposite.

The British began teaching English (Bangkok Christian School) in September, 1852. Best you search for a born and "raised" in either the AU, NZ, UK or US, Thai person, who has returned to Thailand, as a Retired Expat.

In addition, you could also make the effort of practice speaking English within your own family circle, at least one-hour everyday. It actually works. Try it coffee1.gif

thankyou WANDERER555,,, i know frozen cafe very well and shall pop in on my return to Kalasin.......thanks

thanks for the responses. BUT i am well aware of the lack of english speaking skills in the NE of thailand hence the original post......wai2.gif

Much love.......