Covered by Mrs Health Insurance? (Govt. Employee)

spacemand

I am seriously considering making the move back to Thailand settling down and marrying my long time gf who is a government employee.

Normally her parents, husband and kids are covered under the health scheme from her work but the question is would I be covered as I am not a Thai national, anyone with any experience regarding this? Having health insurance through her would certainly be a huge plus when considering the pros and cons of moving back.

Any feed back would be appreciated

Just one note, check the cover of the insurance some offer quite low levels.

What kind of insurance are you talking about with low cover? I would think mot the scheme for government workers.

Just one note, check the cover of the insurance some offer quite low levels.

What kind of insurance are you talking about with low cover? I would think mot the scheme for government workers.

profile says "member since yesterday" what do you expect? coffee1.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Government insurance covers a lot, but not all. An important exception are motorcycle accidents. I already had a teacher at a former school of my going to the hospital because she fell of her bicycle. The doctor was very impressed and commented that she must have gone at least 45 KM per hour on her "bicycle".

For government healthcare you can register yourself at a few local hospitals, together with your wife. Benefit of this is that for most things you do not have to pay up front. The hospital will collect it directly from the hospital.

"For government healthcare you can register yourself at a few local hospitals, together with your wife."

Anybody can register at as many or as few hospitals as they want to.

I haven't found anything that my government coverage doesn't allow.

"For government healthcare you can register yourself at a few local hospitals, together with your wife."

Anybody can register at as many or as few hospitals as they want to.

I haven't found anything that my government coverage doesn't allow.

As said, government healthcare for civil servants does not include motorcycle accidents. Some other things, like dental work, you sometimes have to pay for yourself also. (often you can get about 50% back, through your wife's employer).

It is not a 100% coverage, although in practice for a lot of people it seems to be. Most is covered and you are lucky if you have it.

You can even have free massage at the hospital. My wife loves it.

Mine does cover motorcycle accidents.

Your post saying it isn't is less than compelling.

Speaking of the massage coverage, does anyone know which places in CM are covered by government insurance? I only know about here in KKC.

I think there may be a misunderstanding here.

There is no specific accident coverage, so the under accident policies usual lump sum payment is not applicable. But health issues, including road rash etc., is covered.

It used to be you were covered, but the current anti-foreigner feelings, have led to some government offices refusing to register NEW foreign spouses.

Your gf will need to check with her boss before you make any assumptions.

Edited by BritManToo

"It used to be you were covered, but the current anti-foreigner feelings, have led to some government offices refusing to register NEW foreign spouses."

As far as I can tell, it's not up to each government office to determine who can be covered, and who can't.

Can you find out details about that?

Terry

Mine does cover motorcycle accidents.

Your post saying it isn't is less than compelling.

Speaking of the massage coverage, does anyone know which places in CM are covered by government insurance? I only know about here in KKC.

Civil service insurance is covered by all government hospitals, in case of an emergency you can just go to the nearest hospital regardless if it is a government hospital or not.

It used to be you were covered, but the current anti-foreigner feelings, have led to some government offices refusing to register NEW foreign spouses.

This might be a misunderstanding about the rules regarding the medical insurance for laborers from neighboring countries. Initially these rules were unclear and some foreigners also signed up for it. That practice has been halted. For government employees and their family nothing has changed.

• 3 weeks later...

Once you're married you can have free medical treatment through your wife's SS insurance in Thai called Prakhaan Sankhum.

That alone is worth gold. This insurance has got nothing to do with the one some foreigners could sign up for, but it was only for migrant workers from Laos and Myanmar.

You can be happy, because that doesn't work vice versa. i pay into the Thai SS since 11 years, but can't put my wife and son in it.

Even when the SS act says something completely different.

I hope that you can back this up. The OP's wife is Thai ( future wife?) and the SS act clearly defines that her husband will have free medical care.

Not his gf has to ask her boss, she should go to the SS office and get first hand information of her status.

Government insurance covers a lot, but not all. An important exception are motorcycle accidents. I already had a teacher at a former school of my going to the hospital because she fell of her bicycle. The doctor was very impressed and commented that she must have gone at least 45 KM per hour on her "bicycle".

For government healthcare you can register yourself at a few local hospitals, together with your wife. Benefit of this is that for most things you do not have to pay up front. The hospital will collect it directly from the hospital.

You should do what your Avatar username says and not giving completely wrong information on a forum.

Please back your post up, it's not true that motorcycle accidents are excluded.

I've got the Thai SS, had a motorcycle accident with a lot of broken bones.

The motorbike insurance only covers 12 K, the "rest" of 90 K was paid by my SS insurance.

"I already had a teacher at a former school of my going to the hospital..." does that mean that you're a teacher?

The doctor was very impressed and commented that she must have gone.......please stop spreading your diseases here.

Edited by lostinisaan