Arriving Soon, After Some General Tips...

Hi Guys,

I will be in Koh Samui around May the 4th for 2 weeks, what's the weather like then?... I've heard it misses the rain and should be nice and hot - it this true?...

Any tips on places to stay etc?... I'm hoping to be able to lie out on the beach for a while and generally chill out away from England.

Whats the night life there, and things to do?...

I've been to Chiang Mai, Bangkok and Pattaya before, how does it compare?...

Any information greatly recieved!

Matt.

Here is one place you might want to avoid if you are caucasian. This was taken out of the Bangkok Post. I never have been to Koh Samui so I don't know any place there to recommend.

Date : Mar 19, 2003 02:42 PM

Author : Mr.Chui the owner of The Pavilion Resort -Samui ([email protected])

Subject : My Resort don't welcome the American tourists for anti the War

I am Mr.Chui the owner of the The Pavilion Resort at Samui Island that announced the policy Do not welcome american people at my Resort becos they selected Mr.Bush to be

the president of America. Bush is the virus of war in the world.

I want peace in the world.

It depends on what your looking for and how much nightlife you want. Chawang is very busy and has everything from 5 star resorts to little run down bungalows.

I prefer Boput and Maenam. If you want to rent a house/appt. I know there are some places by the airport for around 2,000 baht a month. They are clean and I think some are very new, just being built in the last year or so.

Your getting there right after high season is finished and should be able to swing a deal somewhere.

hi cinders,

noone can predict the weather here but now it is bloody hot and hopefully will have cooled down a bit by may 5, with some rain as well... :D

biggest nightlife spots are chaweng and lamai, bophut and maenam still lively but much more quiet. many of my friends have stayed at 'nice resort' just outside of the lamai main busy beach road, beautiful beach, bungalows in any price range, but for 500 bt/night good value.

samui is still a beautiful island with lots of things to do and see, I would recommend to rent a motorbike (careful&helmet!!) to have a look around, especially the southern part of the island off the main road is still quiet and very lovely.

things to do ( a smallselection ): watersports, trips to the marine national park and other islands, rock climbing, bungee jumping, horse riding, elephant rides, bowling, go kart, golfing, mountain hiking, biking, cooking classes, sailing, etc etc and - nigthtlife....party...party ...party :D

for further details check out samui related websites or/and guide books :o

enjoy your stay

and for the nightlife, heaps of girl bars, a few gogo's, gay bars, dance pubs and some big danceclubs with any style of music, many live music bars, both thai and western music, karaoke etc.

closing hour is now 1am at most bars, but every week there are parties on the beach till dawn, so surely you won't get bored...

hope this helps :o:D

Hi People,

Thanks for the replies, sorry I haven't gotten back, been quite busy with work and stuff...

It sounds great!

I'm after a relaxing holiday to tell you the truth, I've done all the nightclub/bar girls stuff before in bangkok, pattaya and chiang mai and have grown tired of it all now, so I won't be out every night like before!...

All I'm after is relaxing on the beach with my books, chilling out for a bit, and I'm also after exploring the island and seeing many of the sites. I'd love to do some scuba diving and see many of the interesting sites there. A bungee jump is on the cards as well!....

I'm also a bit of a fitness freak so I wasn't going to hire a motorbike I was going to walk everwhere, is this a good idea or will I really need a motorbike to get around? If so please let me know as I've ridden one before and I can do a days CBT training here in the UK next week before I come over....

Is there many fitness facilities there? I was hoping to be able to do some running on the beach...

As for the beach parties those sound great, I'll definately go to one, but like I said I want to keep of the beer and girls this time (if it can be done...)

I'm not sure what to do about accomodation, I've got hotels booked cheap on the internet for my 3 night stay in bangkok and 4 night stay in chiang mai (catching up with old friends) - So I was thinking of just turning up at Koh Samui and looking for cheap accomodation. A beach hut on the beach sounds amazing...

Thanks for the replies.

Matt.

Hi cinders

If you are a fitness freak there is plenty of things for you to do.

Rather than a motorbike you could rent a mountain bike, but

it can get hot riding around on one of those with the heat at the moment.

A number of gyms in Chewang, Seaquest is good with all the latest equipment,with sauna and jacuzzi and thai boxing on the roof, abit expensive though at 390 bht for a day pass. The price goes down gradually, I do a month and it costs me 1690 bht.

Or there is World Gym which is 150 a day, not bad but the equipment is abit old.

Sorry to say that the beach parties are a thing of the past in Samui, some say the contract or lease finished on the beach where they were held... but who really knows!!

Try and make it out for the Full Moon Party On Koh Pnang Nga if thats your thing.

Enjoy your hols.

Good point about the heat!.... I've just booked in to do my CBT test this Sunday, so I get a full days learning on a motorbike... I think I'll hire myself a Sonic or Raider whilst I'm there for getting about on...

As for keeping my fitness up, I think I'll stick to running on the beach, I guess it's best done early in the morning when it's not so hot??... Plus exercise before breakfast burns off more calories...

Not too bothered about the parties...

• 3 weeks later...

i'd stick with a mountain bike if you haven't done your cbt. it's a lot easier to get out of the way of other erratic vehicles (ie off the road and onto a verge). i was there a few years back and the injury stats were shocking. & i doubt a motorbike or car could've made the journey from chaweng to maenam (coastal-ish route) that was a real highlight of my stay.

I took a backpack and a girl(Italian) for a walk around the island, beachside, starting from Chaweng Beach.

We stopped a few times for romantic interludes :o 'Twas a really nice walk. A little bit of rock climbing but nothing major. She was amazing, she came from an island in Italy and she was used to clambering over rocks.

A nice thing to do if you can find a suitable companion.

PS: Watch out for the gay nudist beach on the way around. Scary.

Not around the whole island :o We had to stop as it was getting dark. We had no clothes or supplies or money with us, other than a pair of shorts and a bikini.

We hitched a ride back.

It was fun. Very cosy. Certainly a highlight.

I sure the walk would not be the same now, because of the building currently going on in Samui.