TEXEL - An unusual request

I was not sure where to place this request but as it is vaguely related to farming I thought here, though of course it will limit the scope for responses.

I have been in farming since 1960 and worked in many countries.

In the 1970's - 80's I lived and worked on the beautiful island of Texel. Some of that work involved farming.

One of my daughters was born there and have returned a few times to visit.

Is there any one on thaivisa who is either from Texel or lived there ?

O

Hi "lemonjelly"

Bedankt voor je reactie.

Ik woonde in De Koog.

Ja, het was een prachtige plek om te wonen.

I am glad that you enjoyed your visit to Texel.

From videos I have seen online it has changed a lot from when I lived there. Except for the beaches, although they are now very crowded.

I used to horse ride on the beach or in the woods. The cycle paths, especially in Spring took you to beautiful places.

Every evening would walk on the beach.

The whole island was like a village, you got to know people

Texel even had / now has ? its own dialect, rather like Isaan does.

From my house, close to the beach I could hear the waves at night, it seemed so quiet when I returned to England.

Texel is a bit out of the way for a holiday but well worth the effort of a visit

Hi "jvs"

Thanks for your post.

I was born in UK in the 1940's, have worked in different countries from 1968 including Texel.

Left Texel in 1981, some months after first daughter was born there.

Have been back a few times.

Some of friends have since died and have an occassinal contact with some friends from De Cocksdorp.

Where were you born in Texel ?

When did you last go back ?

It's a shame that Texel is a bit out of the way for visitors, except for the neighbouring countries, even from UK it's a long haul if you don;t live in the east.

Where you in Texel when locals tried to stop the upgrade of the ferry and terminal ?

I was born near de Koog in 1958,i think it has been nearly 20 years since i was there.

Texel is flooded with Germans in the holiday season and for people living in the north of Germany it is not a long ride.

It is a great place to have a bicycle and i love watching a storm on the beach.

I was born near de Koog in 1958,i think it has been nearly 20 years since i was there.

Texel is flooded with Germans in the holiday season and for people living in the north of Germany it is not a long ride.

Hi "jvs"

I was born in London in 1946.

The first time I lived on Texel I lived in De Koog at a friends house in Boodtlaan - I think.

The second time on Texel lived in De Koog in an old wooden house on Ruijslaan, my eldest daughter was born there.

She was automatically "adopted" by an opa and oma" - sadly both died many years ago.

The house was pulled down not long after we left as the owners of the house found it too expensive to heat in winter, which is was.

Could hear the waves on the beach at night.

On the dunes at the back of the house were Bilberries.

Had a bromfiets to get about.

The cinema in Den Burg was once a week - book in advance.

Yes, even in 1970's Germans were buying up many properties there Pushing up prices so much that locals could not afford to buy.

When did you leave Texel ?

Was it before the new as yet incomplete ferry terminal was bombed - can't find details on the web but I am sure it was during my last year there.

Did you work on Texel ?

Hi "jvs"

The first time I lived on Texel I lived in De Koog at a friends house in Boodtlaan - I think.

The second time on Texel lived in De Koog in an old wooden house on Ruijslaan, my eldest daughter was born there.

She was automatically "adopted" by an opa and oma" - sadly both died many years ago.

The house was pulled down not long after we left as the owners of the house found it too expensive to heat in winter, which is was.

Yes, even in 1970's Germans were buying up many properties there Pushing up prices so much that locals could not afford to buy.

Was it before the new as yet incomplete ferry terminal was bombed - can't find details on the web but I am sure it was during my last year there.

Did you work on Texel ?

Here is the Ruijslaan on texel. I hope it works

https://www.google.nl/maps/@53.0787724,4.7517413,976a,20y,41.42t/data=!3m1!1e3

Hi "jvs"

Did you work on Texel ?

Here is the Ruijslaan on texel. I hope it works

https://www.google.nl/maps/@53.0787724,4.7517413,976a,20y,41.42t/data=!3m1!1e3

Thanks for map

Below is the Google Earth picture of Ruijslaan.

On the left the first or second house past the trees is about where I used to live, in an old wooden house, now replaced.

The right side of the road had nothing.

If you walked on past the houses you come to Badweg where you can turn down to the 'strand'. Used to walk there every evening. A large area of strand near there was washed away in a big storm one year I was there.

I worked on a farm outside Den Burg and also at a hotel for extra money in my free time.

https://www.google.nl/maps/@53.0980402,4.7598757,3a,82.3y,7.07h,90.33t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1syPRiTknrz3yTc8cQAjnkAQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DyPRiTknrz3yTc8cQAjnkAQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D178.37386%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656

Same place where the Texel breed of sheep come from ,ugly looking things , but produce a lean meat carcass ,even when crossed with other breeds , which is wanted by modern day markets .

Dams have a high percentage of twins .

( This is a Farming Forum).

Same place where the Texel breed of sheep come from ,ugly looking things , but produce a lean meat carcass ,even when crossed with other breeds , which is wanted by modern day markets .

Dams have a high percentage of twins .

( This is a Farming Forum).

Hi 'kickstart'

Yes, I know it's a farming forum, I have been in farming since 1960, most of it overseas ( meaning out of the UK ), retired about 4 years ago, but still on call.

I wouldn't say the Texel breed is ugly and it depends which story you believe about the Texels' origin, did it have some English in there somewhere ( Leicester, Lincoln, Wensleydale ) before people called it a Texel sheep or was it an Old Texel ?

The Old Texel was small.

They have wonderful characteristics, docile, hardy, tough. Eat little and like grass. The lambs are strong at birth and generally do well.

It's lucky for other countries that the Texel seems to have a fantastic nickability factor, passing on all its good genetics regarding meat quality to crossed progeny.

I'm not sure about the quality of the wool though, it was many years ago when I was last involved with sheep.

The owner of the farm I worked on in Texel purchased an old missile launcher trailer from somewhere, modified it in to a mobile sheep dip, in the dipping season he could haul it by tractor to the sheep on and off Texel.

The custom years ago was to give a lambs fleece as a present for a friends baby to go as an under blanket, my eldest daughter who was born on Texel was lucky enough to receive such a gift.

You may be interested in a video Salt Farm Texel - on youtube.

I have never worked there but spend holidays when i was still in school.

Never heard about trouble with the ferry but i have not been there for a long time.

The people of Texel did not want a big new ferry boat, as it would start bringing more and more people. I was living on Texel at the time and many people felt there were already enough tourists and, too many Germans were coming and buying up houses just to use as holiday homes. When a new jetty was being built it was bombed and various other acts were carried out. Unfortunately a new ferry was introduced.

Archived