Mobile phone while on holiday?

mrblonde

i dont want to use my new iphone while in thailand in September, and will only really need a phone to arrange to meet up with a friend whos also going, and call home to the UK, but will be doing his own this most of the days we are there (2 weeks), I frequented Thailand 10 years ago and bought a 1-2-call (think it was called that) pay as you go SIM and put it in my old nokia, obviously i cant replace the SIM in my ihpone, so can anyone please recommend me a cheap phone to buy in the UK (Im thinking from ebay) that will take a SIM in thailand when we arrive?

Are the SIM's still standard size, or mini SIM or micro SIM now? Thanks in advance

• 4 months later...

Thanks guys, not too fussed on being a smartphone or having 3g as will upload pics etc back at the hotel with wifi and only be making the occasional call home, its more to text and call my friend ho im meeting up with out there on the days we're not together, so a cheap and nasty Nokia or Samsung will be fine with credit on it for the 2 weeks.  Will Tukcom be best once I'm in Pattaya?

Should be unlocked: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lebara-KAZAM-Life-B5-2-4-Inch-3G-Mobile-Phone-Black-/351702994899

Return it if it isn't.

3G makes it more compatible.

Though if you can get a compatible 2G in  Thailand for 300 baht as suggested, that would seem the way to go. Can't say that I've see one of those 300 baht phones.

Thanks guys, not too fussed on being a smartphone or having 3g as will upload pics etc back at the hotel with wifi and only be making the occasional call home, its more to text and call my friend ho im meeting up with out there on the days we're not together, so a cheap and nasty Nokia or Samsung will be fine with credit on it for the 2 weeks.  Will Tukcom be best once I'm in Pattaya?

Just go to tesco or big c and buy a Samsung hero for a few hundred baht, no need for tukcom. Either that or stick a Thai SIM in your iPhone, if it's unlocked as stated above.