Thai Immigration Asks Foreigners for Bank Accounts, Social Media, Hangouts

Thai Immigration Asks Foreigners for Bank Accounts, Social Media, Hangouts
By Todd Ruiz and Sasiwan Mokkhasen

14609779491460977993l.jpg
Part of a three-page Immigration Bureau form seeking personal information from foreign nationals residing in the kingdom.

BANGKOK — Foreign nationals residing in Thailand are being asked to disclose personal information to the government, including their bank details and where they hang out online and offline.

Internal documents obtained earlier this month by Khaosod English showed the Immigration Bureau would ask foreigners for personal details about places they frequent in the virtual and real worlds, additional information to be filed before they can extend their visas or complete the routine 90-day reports required to reside legally in the kingdom.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1460977949&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-04-19

• Like 2

what about people like me who have a marriage visa and have been in Thailand 14 years?

I expect it applies to you as well as all foreigners as there are no exceptions mentioned. On the surface it seems quite invasive but I supposed it is something we will have to live with if we stay in country. The puyai ban already comes by every year to get my passport number and address. The police came by a few weeks ago to get the same plus a copy of my passport, visa and entry form.

Edited by Pimay1

Silly and invasive to the point to being embarrassing.

How is it invasive of them if you volunteer information? That anybody is naive or stupid enough to answer any question on those forms, including proposed address in Thailand, is what is really embarrassing. If you are on a tourist visa put down a hotel.

Is it a legal requirement to respond to the questionnaire? I think the senate would need to change the Immigration Law to force individuals to provide the information but if that happened such a regulation would likely violate privacy laws. Better get a legal interpretation of this before drawing any conclusions.

post-108400-14610290839706_thumb.jpg
  • Like 1