Thai Immigration Asks Foreigners for Bank Accounts, Social Media, Hangouts

Frankly, I am of the opinion that all of this still needs to sorted out. But someone should politely point out to Immigration that this information is already provided, for the most part, on other forms. As such, it is redundant and a waste of time. Along with the photo which is already on file.

Additionally, the government could easily ask every bank to provide information on those accounts held by foreigners. If you have registered your SIM card as required by law, your phone number is available to the government and routinely put on other immigration forms as well. If you have a registered vehicle, this information is readily available.

I have no qualms about providing my email address or the address I use outside of Thailand. I do this routinely when shopping on the internet.

The other information requested is absurd and of little or no value to anyone.

Edited by pookiki
  • Like 1

wobalt: I have lived here 25 years and in order to renew a retirement visa you have to provide a letter from the bank stating you have at least 800,000 baht in the bank ...a photo copy of your bank book showing the same thing and last 3 months transactions.

Sorry, but I am not relying on a retirement visa, but more than 12 y on extension of stays based on Non-B and work permits. No bank account to be declared...the other times I am using Non-O multiple Entry Visa, where I have not to report to local IO. However I have to leave THL after 90 days and return. This is no problems for me as I have clients in other countries.

I first heard of this form several weeks ago from a friend who resides in the Kingdom on a work permit. He was told that providing the information was voluntary.

As for requiring the form for 90 reports for those of use on retirement visas or extension of stays, does this mean that online reporting is no longer permitted?

After reading all the posts, I'm still very confused as to whom this alleged new requirement applies.

Got an email from HR here about an hour ago.

Apparently this form has to be completed and submitted with every 90 day report, including a photo.

Not sure how the online 90 day reporting will go with the photo requirement.

Are you in Thailand on a work permit?

Yes.

Let me see if I got this straight. First Thai Immigration freely publishes farang addresses passport numbers, etc on the web. NOW they want bank info so they can publish that as well? What planet are these people from?

exactly, the details they are now asking for can easily be used to steal your identity,

you may find in a years time a lot of ferangs have maxed out a few credit cards they never knew they had.

Just my opinion: this new form seems to be the "brain child" of one over zealous (rogue) official with too much time on his hands. The fact they are saying it is "not mandatory" suggests to me it is not authorised by Thai law. Take a look at the Thai Immigration web site and no mention of it there.

So no one is obliged to complete the form.

If anyone feels any application might be prejudiced by not filling in the form then rather than have a confrontation, fill in the form and write the letters U.P at the end of it with your signature or initials.

UP = Under Protest.

Any intrusive questions should have a line crossed thru them with the words "not applicable".

I would never suggest writing any lie on the form, but often people make genuine mistakes when filling in forms.....

It might not be mandatory, but then again neither is it mandatory that immigration will approve your request for extension of stay either.

Absolute BS for the intended purpose to track down terrorists and criminals. National security??What about Thai criminals which frequently disappeared in the past?? The only purpose I see is to sample information, which otherwise would be difficult and costly to access. But as it is not mandatory to fill in...in more than 30 years here I never gave them any information regarding my bank details.

Well, if you are here on a marriage or retirement visa they will have already had access to the details of whatever account your supporting money is held in.

Really? I have been here on a non-imm O marriage visa for many, many years and have never had to supply any bank account information. I think you are confused.

When you apply for an extension of stay based on marriage and you use the 400k bank account method, then you have to give immigration copies of your Thai bank account book. Maybe that is what he meant ? Edited by MJCM

A work colleague has just informed me that the One-Stop shop are turning down 90 day reports if the applicant declines to fill in the form sad.png

did mine online last week no form like that.

Pin pointing factual and accurate information is hard right now with this form.

Some thoughts - so apparantly this paper does not have a TM mark on it, i understand the TM is an offical document used for thai immigration, so it appears to be up in the air with this document. Am checking thai immigration website for the form.

Impact - this is more of a physiological impact more than anything after thinking long and hard about this. Again until more reports come out should be patient for now

Here is some information from Asian Correspondent that just was posted today

While the form seems to imply that the information is mandatory, the government said otherwise.

“We won’t force them to fill it out,” said Chatchawan Wachirapaneekhun, deputy commissioner of the Immigration Bureau’s crime suppression unit, according to Khaosod English.

“We won’t bother with their social media – if they aren’t doing anything wrong.”

His comments are likely to add to a confusing situation. Thailand’s expats might wonder why the new fields were included in the first place.

Chatchawan attributed the new information request to “national security.”

As I am not sure if i can post the link or not just google asian correspondent it shows up

• Like 1

what about people like me who have a marriage visa and have been in Thailand 14 years?

Or me with a retirement extension who hasn't left Thailand since 26th May 2009.

I am off to Nakhon Sawan on Thursday to do my 90 day report so I will find out what Nakhon Sawan require.

I won't volunteer any information unless I am asked.

Will TV when asked rat out posters? Have they already? I think I know the answer but would like to hear it from the mods.

if I were an Immigration Officer I would read matters arising in this Forum and encourage my staff to read it, too. I would get lots of information, improve my English and as important as anything, gain some insight into Western culture and how Westerners think and feel about many of the issues surrounding visas, Immigration Offices and other matters they believe are important. All this would help me do a better job with greater understanding.

why would they want to do a better job ?

Will TV when asked rat out posters? Have they already? I think I know the answer but would like to hear it from the mods.

if I were an Immigration Officer I would read matters arising in this Forum and encourage my staff to read it, too. I would get lots of information, improve my English and as important as anything, gain some insight into Western culture and how Westerners think and feel about many of the issues surrounding visas, Immigration Offices and other matters they believe are important. All this would help me do a better job with greater understanding.

why would they want to do a better job ?

You should address your comment to me, not "they". I don't know if they want to do a better job but if it were ME, I would

Couple of months back I had home visits 3 times in a couple of days. They had paperwork, asked me questions, none on media though. The forms were new cos they didn't seem to know how to fill them in.

Whether their forms were anything to do with this I don't know but the guy said new directive from the boss...

3 times in 2 days ! christ you must be on their radar, where was this ? i thought kap choeng was bad.

I have had one visit since I have been living here in 12 years and that was the local police about 3 or 4 years ago.

A work colleague has just informed me that the One-Stop shop are turning down 90 day reports if the applicant declines to fill in the form sad.png

I fear that my TVF postings have mostly been disparaging of people staging coups, so I'm in trouble.

However, I have a brainwave of a solution, which other like-minded TVF members may wish to adopt.

On the Social Media section, put down ThaiVisa Forum, but write the TVF name of the most pro-Prayut stooges in TVF - we know who they are by their admirable unwavering faith in the Junta expressed in numerous fawning posts.

Subsequently, when the future Single Portal Unification Department (SPUD) checks "my" postings on TVF, they will find me to be such a staunch supporter of the regime that any visas will be issued with embarrassing alacrity. Sorted.

Edited by tx22cb

my 90 days (and renewal of visa) are both up for this Friday. I don't like doing the 90 days and the renewal even more; the bank, the copies, the photo's, the signatures, the sawadees and forced smiles (mine) drives

me up the wall. Can't handle the red tape very well and the wife has a hard time to keep me in line.

But so far 7 years of three-monthly visits went ok, but these new questions...

If I'm presented with this form I'll refuse to answer them, feels like the camels straw. The wife says 'no problem, you don't have a car, you sometimes visit the 7-11, you don't use social media (which is true) and you don't have any friends because you are an <deleted> (might be true).

But still I have a huge problem with the fact that these questions might be even asked...

My Thai wife lived with me in Belgium and before she was even given a visa there was some serious investigation prior to that (and rightly so). Separate interviews (to compare her and my answers) and background checks on my financials and for both a criminal check; I can fully understand that.

After that she got a 1 year visa but had to report on a 90 days basis. No paperwork, you show your Dutch skills and they work on the computer a bit and you can go. One year later she got a 5 year visa...

That's what should happen here in Thailand; check the crap out of us, give us a 1 year visa with 90 days reporting and if we have been good boys give us a no-nonsense 5 year visa.

Will see how it goes Friday...

regards,

Nongsung

I think a dummy e-mail address, Facebook/google+/Linkedin or similar account, and bank account would be a good idea. These can be set up to provide a benign profile. One could even establish a djamie type second avatar on TVN, the formula is pretty simple (minded). A VPN is pretty much essential anyway if you want to keep well informed about what is going on as much of the information you need to access is blocked within the country. I would suggest in this case honesty is not the best policy, especially if your principles are on the liberal side and you exercise your human right to freedom of expression in defiance of the regime.

This is the whole document, courtesy of @Beefslapper on the previous thread. Hope he won't mind me reattaching it here.

A little concerned about handing over all my bank account details to thais. Is this because the bloody farangs complained about the police shakedowns that went viral and made the international news? Now they can just help themselves.

Every year when I renew my extension I hand over my bank details. So far no one has plundered my accounts.

"Is this because the bloody farangs complained about the police shakedowns ..."

Farangs have been complaining about everything under the sun for a long time. It's a cultural, maybe genetic, thing for some of us.

Criticism leads to improvement, if the recipient is mature enough to understand it. You wonder why Western and (some) Eastern countries that have open societies are more developed.

what about people like me who have a marriage visa and have been in Thailand 14 years?

Face it. You'll always be a foreigner.

I've always enjoyed being a foreigner in Thailand. Certainly a more enjoyable than being a citizen in the USA.

• Like 1

I fear that my TVF postings have mostly been disparaging of people staging coups, so I'm in trouble.

However, I have a brainwave of a solution, which other like-minded TVF members may wish to adopt.

On the Social Media section, put down ThaiVisa Forum, but write the TVF name of the most pro-Prayut stooges in TVF - we know who they are by their admirable unwavering faith in the Junta expressed in numerous fawning posts.

Subsequently, when the future Single Portal Unification Department (SPUD) checks "my" postings on TVF, they will find me to be such a staunch supporter of the regime that any visas will be issued with embarrassing alacrity. Sorted.

They may get suspicious, 1,000 djamie's ???? Give them the real name,they wont be able to read the comments anyway.

• Like 2

I have no problem with this new procedure.

Most of us are guests here and should be respectful, cooperative and understanding.

Many of the comments made on social media actually hurt the image of Thailand and those wrongdoers should be punished by not being allowed to extend visas.

What do posters expect when they bash the Police, Immigration, Thai Citizens and more? I find many of the negative comments disgusting and immature.

I'm thrilled that Thailand is protecting its sovereignty.clap2.gif

Of course Thailand is concerned about their guest's funds in the banks. People who have little to no funds are a liability for the country when it comes to public hospital medical expenses, incarceration expenses, crime concerns, etc.

Remain calm, and just enjoy the country for as long as you can.

I can assure you that most countries are much worse now.!coffee1.gif

Pathetic apologist for censorship and repression. Even of Thai people.

I guess also you're thrilled for all the Thais who have spoken up against what they feel is unjust and have spent years in prison for simply expressing their opinions. And yes, as a human being and equals on this earth, they have a right to speak up.

Got all new social media profiles already set up. All nicely decorated and colored correctly.

My friends are Chatchawan Wachirapaneekhun and various Junta officials, just for good measure. Address and phone numbers are available smile.png

Places I hang out : Siam Society, Democrat Party HQ, Sanam Luang, Wat Pra Kaew, and Wat Benchamabophit (a personal favorite). On all social media LIKE these places smile.png

Go to Chat's page and post likes and super happy fun stories smile.png

Yay! Sanook dii! crazy.gif