Thai Immigration Asks Foreigners for Bank Accounts, Social Media, Hangouts

whaahaha Just put your seat belts on TV members. Its just the start. What is your home country doing about this? ITS PATHETIC. Thailand must receive reciprocal treatment and then some.

tit for tat reciprocal treatment. dont be so pathetic.

Thailand is one of the easiest countries to come and go from and you can be sure a lot of countries do not allow the same freedoms for Thai's or any other nationality to easily come and go.

Really

Freedom? I can only agree with you about the go part. Maybe the Thai's abroad get the go treatment too with all their freedoms. How many are in Germany? Britain? Time to go back to freedom Thailand.

• Like 2

Is it a legal requirement to respond to the questionnaire? I think the senate would need to change the Immigration Law to force individuals to provide the information but if that happened such a regulation would likely violate privacy laws. Better get a legal interpretation of this before drawing any conclusions.

Just checked the Personal Data Protection Act https://thainetizen.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/personal-data-protection-bill-20150106-en.pdf Don't expect any protection of your personal data!

This is the whole document, courtesy of @Beefslapper on the previous thread. Hope he won't mind me reattaching it here.

I dont own motorbike or car, in my partners name, as to bank account I dont think that is fair given the bank fraud here.

I dont post on facebook or have a account,

Only Tv which I try not to be deliberately/and or offensive to any name,

Things are getting worse here.

• Like 2

Absolute BS for the intended purpose to track down terrorists and criminals. National security??What about Thai criminals which frequently disappeared in the past?? The only purpose I see is to sample information, which otherwise would be difficult and costly to access. But as it is not mandatory to fill in...in more than 30 years here I never gave them any information regarding my bank details.

Well, if you are here on a marriage or retirement visa they will have already had access to the details of whatever account your supporting money is held in.

• Like 1

whaahaha Just put your seat belts on TV members. Its just the start. What is your home country doing about this? ITS PATHETIC. Thailand must receive reciprocal treatment and then some.

Thailand is one of the easiest countries to come and go from and you can be sure a lot of countries do not allow the same freedoms for Thai's or any other nationality to easily come and go.

What are you talking about?

Since when does any country ask what online social media you use? Maybe North Korea?

Believe this, it is the start of monitoring the activties of everyone in this country to ensure they do not openly oppose or criticize the Junta.

The mighty poobah himself has already alluded to it in his weekly propaganda speeches.

Last week he said the social media (Facebook and Twitter) was a "problem" that needed to be dealt with.

Why are you so worried ?

they have my full details already. Surely not hard to plug my name into Facebook and find my profile.... and from there my IP address which they can then search.. As for bank accounts and cars/motorbike... once again they have all my details so if they really wanted to know it would be very easy to discover.... search for my tax returns.. get the name of my employer.... its all there for the taking if they choose to look.

• Like 1

Is it a legal requirement to respond to the questionnaire? I think the senate would need to change the Immigration Law to force individuals to provide the information but if that happened such a regulation would likely violate privacy laws. Better get a legal interpretation of this before drawing any conclusions.

Just checked the Personal Data Protection Act https://thainetizen.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/personal-data-protection-bill-20150106-en.pdf Don't expect any protection of your personal data!
So if I read this correctly, pertaining to section 3 and section 4, this information gaining form has no legal standing as far as I can see its not been progmolated. But the low level immigration officers will just do what their boss says. Refusing entry/extention still remains at the discrection of the immigration officer just like every other country. Edited by RBOP
  • Like 1

Absolute BS for the intended purpose to track down terrorists and criminals. National security??What about Thai criminals which frequently disappeared in the past?? The only purpose I see is to sample information, which otherwise would be difficult and costly to access. But as it is not mandatory to fill in...in more than 30 years here I never gave them any information regarding my bank details.

Well, if you are here on a marriage or retirement visa they will have already had access to the details of whatever account your supporting money is held in.

I was here mostly based on working. And over the years I have decided to go the 1y multiple entry visa way, no hassle with local immigration anymore.

Regarding the supporting money account: this account could be different from personal accounts...

classy

One furong says I have nothing to hide, I think its great!.

Another says, I'm leaving, that's it, what is happening is similar to something I read about in a history book.

One of the above gets their computer help on TV, lets say the Linux in Thailand topic, the other goes to a a website just for linux and asks their question there.

Which one are you?

The thin edge of a very large wedge methinks, it is amazing that most of the information is already on file, except that of personal information relating to emails and the like.

Sounds like a sledgehammer to crack a nut , their previous lax attitude has shown them up to be incompetent in recording and finding ne'er do wells, so in order to ensure it never happens again they play the game tell me or leave .

Sounds like the reports are true Human Rights and Personal freedoms are being lost because they know that the situation is going to get out of hand if they actually allowed free speech.

So collating all information guarantees that one part of the problem will remain silent.

• Like 2

What are you talking about?

Since when does any country ask what online social media you use? Maybe North Korea?

Believe this, it is the start of monitoring the activties of everyone in this country to ensure they do not openly oppose or criticize the Junta.

The mighty poobah himself has already alluded to it in his weekly propaganda speeches.

Last week he said the social media (Facebook and Twitter) was a "problem" that needed to be dealt with.

Why are you so worried ?

they have my full details already. Surely not hard to plug my name into Facebook and find my profile.... and from there my IP address which they can then search.. As for bank accounts and cars/motorbike... once again they have all my details so if they really wanted to know it would be very easy to discover.... search for my tax returns.. get the name of my employer.... its all there for the taking if they choose to look.

Hahaha! Facebook will give out your IP address?

Also, I am not sure if you are aware, most people don't use their real facebook name....especially Thai. Yeah.... it seems like the average Thai person is smarter than the average Farang.

expats in Thailand, guilty until proven innocent! haaaayyyy. this form must be under experiment. if it's not mandatory, then i suggest those who come face to face with this form to not fill it up completely. that way, this form would prove to be a failure and be dropped from the Immigration Bureau's future plans for whatever.

Also, I am not sure if you are aware, most people don't use their real facebook name....especially Thai. Yeah.... it seems like the average Thai person is smarter than the average Farang.

Hmm like them to try and track me no chance

2ag0m4j.png

Edited by Nicolas32

classyOne furong says I have nothing to hide, I think its great!.Another says, I'm leaving, that's it, what is happening is similar to something I read about in a history book.One of the above gets their computer help on TV, lets say the Linux in Thailand topic, the other goes to a a website just for linux and asks their question there.Which one are you?

Well we know how history turned out in middle of the 20th century for the Jews that left Europe early and those that didn't.

So if the point is to catch criminals/terrorists, do they actually believe such individuals would fill this in correctly or fill it in at all? Most of them probably have dodgy visas or no visas at all.

Looking at the 'crack down' on motorists this Songkran....well, we can see how successful that was in reeling in wrong-doers.

If it's not mandatory, I either won't be filling it in, or put in a load of BS. And MORE address reporting? What a crock!!

Thailand obviously only want short-term cashed up, gullible tourists. Please give us your money then **** off!

Let the Thais bumble their way through the dark like always...