What are the most useful apps for expats and travellers?

I have the usual Agoda, Booking.com, Nok Air, and Air Asia apps for flights and accommodation. I have Line for contacting folks in Asia and Whatsapp for contacting people in Europe. aWallet is for storing my passwords etc. I use Snapseed for jazzing up photos, Google Translate for obvious reasons, plus OpneVPN.

A real gem I discovered recently is Maps.me, an offline map app for when you don't have Internet access. It doesn't have all the features of Google Maps, but it has the important stuff and you can add notes to your bookmarks. Another one is Truvision Anywhere for the gf's iPad (not my little Samsung), so we can watch movies or Thai news while upcountry.

I tend to do my research on PC before going on a trip, so I haven't installed Tripadvisor on the phone.

What are your favourite apps?

What about Skype? Thai TV and I also installed German TV on my Samsung Android. And you should have an Anti virus, not to forget.

There's so much spam and adds, maybe an Anti spam program that doesn't use too much memory.

Edited by lostinisaan

You can still use Google Maps without internet access - you just need to download the maps for the area you'll be visiting. Sadly, for some reason this feature doesn't work in Thailand, but it's really useful if you're going elsewhere.

You can still use Google Maps without internet access - you just need to download the maps for the area you'll be visiting. Sadly, for some reason this feature doesn't work in Thailand, but it's really useful if you're going elsewhere.

It isn't only Thailand. I was in Laos last month and it didn't work there, either. That's the reason I got Maps.me.

What about Skype? Thai TV and I also installed German TV on my Samsung Android. And you should have an Anti virus, not to forget.

There's so much spam and adds, maybe an Anti spam program that doesn't use too much memory.

I did have Skype on my Samsung, but I found that Line was better for voice calls. I still use Skype on the PC to call my mum on her landline, but when I tried the android version from an upcountry guesthouse (with and without wifi) the quality was hopeless. Otherwise I would definitely use it.

re

What are your favourite apps?

in bangkok ... trainsity ... train routes app is very good

offline map .. HERE maps .. worked well for me in manila last week

hotel booking ... i use ... booking .com .. easy to use and it works perfectly

english newspaper .. ... daily mail online .. it even works here :)

dave2

post-42592-0-41385500-1461115336_thumb.p

post-42592-0-75594500-1461115437_thumb.p

Root

EDS (OnTheFlyEncryption program, requires root)

XE Currency exchange

AdAway (requires root)

WhatsApp

Line (prefer whatsapp)

Mobiwol (firewall)

Quickpic

Root Explorer (requires root)

Root Uninstaller (requires root)

Super Backup

SuperSU (grants root access to programs requiring root)

Thai Dictionary (Paiboon software)

One app that I find very useful, and has not been mentioned here yet is TripIt, you forward to it all your hotel and airline bookings, car rentals etc and it pull out all the information from the emails. So you have all your booking reference numbers and such in one location that so no need to print out all those documents that I see many still use.

it is free to use, but they also have a paid level that gives you things like updates on your flights like delays, gate numbers and such.

This one is my favorite, and I rely on it 24/7.

It is called...BG4U

Basically, It tells you where the closest bars are to your hotel. Additionally, it provides the price of beer and barfine. It will also give you the rating for each girl, and how many are dancing with stilettos and thigh high nylons.

Has photo page as well.

Priceless.

Edited by slipperylobster

Here are two suggestions that are suitable for iphone or iPad

Not much of a thing but I have a nice compass.

The other one is a very nice word game called "alphabetty" it's free. I have been using it for some months now and it is really good with more than 200 levels. An intelligent game with many variations and really nice graphics. Good for Thais but more specially for English Speakers from low level to intellectual. Simple to play; no need for instructions., though I can offer some tips to improve your scores.

It is called...BG4U

Basically, It tells you where the closest bars are to your hotel. Additionally, it provides the price of beer and barfine. It will also give you the rating for each girl, and how many are dancing with stilettos and thigh high nylons.

Has photo page as well.

Priceless.

Has anyone ever told you you may have OCD?

It is called...BG4U

Has photo page as well.

Priceless.

This one is my favorite, and I rely on it 365.

It is called....Bullshit Analyzer

post-62796-0-27484100-1461154775_thumb.p

Has a smell sensor as well.

Free of Charge

sorry.gifofftopic.gif

Edited by Boycie

I might be old fashioned but the only app I really need on my tablet is a web browser and the Kindle app.

As for my phone, I might load the browser once every few months to look something up or use the GPS functions.

I live in Phuket, therefore, tourists!

I find Trip Advisor helpful when looking for a new restaurant. The large number of people who rate these places makes the ratings 'statistically valid' up to a point.

Also, Foursquare is a similar app, useful for restaurants and bars.

smile.png