Chiang Rai Hospital Dental Implant Costs Please!

ykatz0

I have read many many posts about dental implants in Thailand, specifically BKK and Chiang Mai, and a few posters in Chiang Rai. But none

of them mention costs and certainly none of them have re-posted after having their implants a few years or so. There are 3 major hospitals

in Chiang Rai:

The Government Thai Hospital (on Sanambin Road)

Overbrook

Kasemrad Sriburin

Has anyone here (or elsewhere) had implants at any of these hospitals (or even local dental clinics)? If so:

1. What was the cost?

2. Approximately when did you have the work done (how long ago)?

3. Have you had any issues afterwards?

Why am I posting this? I am from Los Angeles, CA, USA and recently had a tooth pulled and would like to put an implant in, mainly as a test, to

see how it functions. I went online to try to get prices and it looks like the going rates in Chiang Mai and BKK are around 60,000 Baht. I looked online

for prices in Los Angeles and see they are $1000-3000 with some *special* prices popping up at around $400 which some report actually do good

work (one guy makes a post these companies are selling clone implants, personally I don't care if they are clones or clones of clones if they do

the job correctly!). So now I am trying to put these findings into perspective, thanks in advance for any input/experience shared!

I had an implant a few years ago in the US. The oral surgeon advised against cheaper "same day" implants so the process took several months. That's get the post implanted and wait months for the bone to heal before attaching the implant. All went well. don't recall the exact cost but it was expensive even though insurance covered a portion.

Now I'm getting ready for another, I think I will do it at one of the modern clinics in Chiang Mai. Just my own preference, but they seem better equipped than the hospitals in Chiang Rai. The surgeon there also recommended against same-day procedures. I was quoted a general price of B60-70,000 all inclusive. That seems reasonable, I usually don't bargain shop for medical care too much. The surgeon at the clinic is a professor at the medical school, works at the govt hospital and moonlights at the private clinic. The clinic has all the latest gadgets.

Feel free to PM if you wish.

After comparing Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai I opted for Chiang Mai to get a crown done. It entailed a few drives through the mountains with overnight stays but it was worth it in my opinion. The clinics seem much better equipped and the staff very professional.

Good to know about Chiang Mai. VF which clinic did you use for your crown procedure?

I went on the recommendation of a dentist in Chiang Rai, to CDJ and was very happy. I like staying in the Nimman area so the location is great too. Here is a link to the staff page on the webpage. http://www.cdjdental.com/staff.php There are other places which come highly recommended by foreigners in Chiang Mai but as you know I am not constrained by who speaks the best English.wink.png

Good to know about Chiang Mai. VF which clinic did you use for your crown procedure?

I went on the recommendation of a dentist in Chiang Rai, to CDJ and was very happy. I like staying in the Nimman area so the location is great too. Here is a link to the staff page on the webpage. http://www.cdjdental.com/staff.php There are other places which come highly recommended by foreigners in Chiang Mai but as you know I am not constrained by who speaks the best English.wink.png

VF, that one looks very good, thanks!

Can you share:

1. How long ago did you have the work done?

2. How much did it cost (ballpark)?

Thanks!

I seem to remember three or four trips. There were at least three…1.examination 2.temporary crown 3.final crown, maybe one other fitting but can't remember. I seem to remember having to wait between trips but can't remember how many weeks.

I think the cost was around 9000 baht but my wife paid the final bill so again I can't remember. They are very good about giving you prices based on materials and country of origin and after I made up my mind I just let that slip from memory.

Of course that cost does not include driving to Chiang Mai, staying in a nice hotel, having meals and perhaps a massage or shopping.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks VF for sharing.

Has anyone had any experience with implants in Thailand (or other)?

I am beginning to think they are not so popular.

I think it is more a question of cost and not popularity. Most villagers simply have their teeth extracted as that is the cheapest way to go. Relatively few people can afford implants and that includes expats who live here because they can’t afford to live in their home countries.

• 5 months later...

I'm your huckleberry. Osstem implants are the cheapest and JUST FINE. 36,000 baht is the price you pay for the implant, titanium with surface treatment and good oxide coating. 10,000 more gets a combination metal and porcelain cap. I STRONGLY advise the 15,000 baht all zirconia cap, MUCH stronger, beautiful and will NOT set up a galvanic reaction with the titanium if there's a breach in the coating. IOW, the risk isn't worth it. SO, you pay 51,000 for a BEAUTIFUL tooth. A most excellent surgeon will do the job at either Elite Smile (Pantip Plaza) or Dental 4U near Thae Pae gate. I have two super fine molars by Elite and hoping to get five more. This is all you need to know. Go cheaper and you may regret it because this is very delicate and important work you don't want to have screwed up. It is also possible to get a solid zirconia implant, but I don't know the place or cost. Rather expect it will be a lot. There's about a 2% failure rate with titanium, but if you don't smoke or have high acid conditions in your mouth, you should be AOK. I expect to take mine to the grave. Hope this helps...  

Archived