Applying for Visa in Thai Consulate, Vientiane on a Friday

Hello,

I am planning to apply for a single-entry tourist visa in Vientiane this coming Friday. I thought if I applied on a Friday and stayed over the weekend, it wouldn't be necessary to queue up outside the consulate early in the morning but I'm not sure if this is correct. If anybody has done this recently, I'd be grateful to hear about their experience, specifically whether it was quiet at the consulate on a Friday.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Thanks very much for the replies. BritTim - if you mean people that are staying in Laos and planning to come to Thailand soon, you have a good point, although hopefully there will not be so many of them. I'll let you know on Friday!

Cheers

Edited by Mark123456
  • Like 1

There will not be many people there on a Friday. Most people don't want to wait until Monday to get their visas.

The bad days are Monday and Thursday when the visa run vans are there.

Well Ubonjoe, I don't know what visa run vans are here, but today is Thursday, I arrived at 10 something, got number 132, a friend got 150 something he took the queue number 15 minutes after. I would be fair in saying that I don't believe the number to have exceeded 180, 200 if I am generous.

Last time when I was here 2 years ago the last number was 380 something.

Edited by lkv

There will not be many people there on a Friday. Most people don't want to wait until Monday to get their visas.

The bad days are Monday and Thursday when the visa run vans are there.

Well Ubonjoe, I don't know what visa run vans are here, but today is Thursday, I arrived at 10 something, got number 132, a friend got 150 something he took the queue number 15 minutes after. I would be fair in saying that I don't believe the number to have exceeded 180, 200 if I am generous.

Last time when I was here 2 years ago the last number was 380 something.

The embassy was closed on Monday. Some companies may of only done one run this week. And were only there on Tuesday or yesterday.

I arrived some time around 10am, can't remember exactly when. All I had to do was give my completed form, photos and photocopies to a guy sitting behind a small desk right in front of the seats where you normally wait. No queue, no need to go to the windows where I applied before. Apart from me and the two people I shared a ride with, there were only two other 'customers' there so Friday is definitely very quiet (or this particular Friday was at least)

I got ticket number 56 so there were obviously 55 applicants that arrived earlier and had already gone by the time we got there.

Picking up today took maybe 15 minutes after they started calling out the numbers.

All in all, a very relaxing experience and I didn't mind spending three nights there.

Edited by Mark123456