Music world in shock as Prince dies suddenly aged 57

webfact

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The usual over hyped accolades for a performer of very dubious achievements, the word genius is so over used these days.

Let see how good your songs and music are...

Prince was able to sing from falsetoo to baritone without any problem switching quickly between tones.

He was a master of guitar and many other instruments (more than 20). On his albums he played nearly all the instruments.

He was recognized by major names of the music worldwide...but yeah it is just a regular john doe, right?

He was undoubtedly talented but so are many people in different professions which are actually essential to the world in general, being able to play pop music with many instruments and prance about the stage hardly constitutes genius. I admire Sayaka Shoji a young Japanese woman who plays classical music on the violin so beautifully it brings tears to my eyes but that isn't genius it is pure talent. Hawkins,Einstein, Boehman, Bohr,Feynman were and are great physicists whose strange abilities to think outside the box puts them in the realm of genius and they had no need to ruin their health with drugs. The word genius,like the word hero are misused these days. I leave fawning over pop stars and film stars to the teeny's.

So what is the definition of Genius?

Here is the official.

a. Extraordinary intellectual and creative power: artistic works of genius.
b. A person of extraordinary intellect and talent.
c. A person who has an exceptionally high intelligence quotient, typically above 140.
a. A strong natural talent, aptitude, or inclination: has a genius for choosing the right words.
b. One who has such a talent or inclination: a genius at diplomacy.
3. The prevailing spirit or distinctive character, as of a place, a person, or an era: the genius ofElizabethan England.
4. pl. ge·ni·i (jē′nē-ī′) Roman Mythology A tutelary deity or guardian spirit of a person or place.
Hawkins , Einstein are genius in Maths, physics, chemistry...so genius are only people who can solve problem and linked to down to earth topics for you? Beaudelaire was not a genius? neither Mozart? Neither Pablo Picasso?...
Prince has the creativity, the talent, the intelligence, the innovative thinking, the talent to write songs and music.
He thought out of the box, took great initiative and risks with his music style
By the way the studies of Einstein body shown he was probably a cocaine addict and traces of LSD were found in his body during the autopsy...
People tend to think Genius is only linked to IQ, qhich is clearly less and less true as even the IQ notation fade nowdays in profit for other way to "scale the intelligence".
I understand what you try to say and just think it is a shame to ignore the greatest talents in fields which are considered "second zone" especially when it comes to art
Edited by GeorgesAbitbol

The usual over hyped accolades for a performer of very dubious achievements, the word genius is so over used these days.

Prince was able to sing from falsetoo to baritone without any problem switching quickly between tones.

He was a master of guitar and many other instruments (more than 20). On his albums he played nearly all the instruments.

He was recognized by major names of the music worldwide...but yeah it is just a regular john doe, right?

He was undoubtedly talented but so are many people in different professions which are actually essential to the world in general, being able to play pop music with many instruments and prance about the stage hardly constitutes genius. I admire Sayaka Shoji a young Japanese woman who plays classical music on the violin so beautifully it brings tears to my eyes but that isn't genius it is pure talent. Hawkins,Einstein, Boehman, Bohr,Feynman were and are great physicists whose strange abilities to think outside the box puts them in the realm of genius and they had no need to ruin their health with drugs. The word genius,like the word hero are misused these days. I leave fawning over pop stars and film stars to the teeny's.

Some would argue, that a musician like Prince was well able to think outside of the box in many different aspects:

musically, visually, in terms of his own trademark- protection!

And if you can not see the difference between a gifted violinist, who mostly recites material from other writers and composers and a man, who had an enormous creative output, wrote, arranged, played, produced and sang (whole albums on his own) for himself and other artists, then we really don't need to discuss this further!

By the way: genius is not isolated to science!

Ask Mozart!

Some would argue, that a musician like Prince was well able to think outside of the box in many different aspects:

And if you can not see the difference between a gifted violinist, who mostly recites material from other writers and composers and a man, who had an enormous creative output, wrote, arranged, played, produced and sang (whole albums on his own) for himself and other artists, then we really don't need to discuss this further!

Ask Mozart!

It is Shoji's interpretation of the music that she plays that sets her apart but as i have said, that doesn't make her a genius, hard work and talent make her what she is. Before playing a piece of classical music she studies the country as it was at the time of its composition as well as the composer, ''It is my duty to play the music as the composer meant it to be heard,no more and no less'' She certainly has no sense of grandeur so apparent in the self inflated teeny hero's one see's on the stage.

Yes genius isn't isolated to science, Beethoven and Tchaikovsky etc. belong up there with the greats but i am not sure if their great abilities wasn't more due to great talent and hard work than genius but Leanado da vinci was undoubtedly a genius a master in all he touched. Queen was a fantastic group and Freddy Mercury a good writer of songs, he has been described as a genius but in my opinion he was just good at his work. Sometimes works of deep thought, provoking emotion hint at genius, like Oscar Wilde's poem ''The ballard of Reading jail''. People even call talented footballers geniuses these days which is depressing.

Ask Mozart!

It is Shoji's interpretation of the music that she plays that sets her apart but as i have said, that doesn't make her a genius, hard work and talent make her what she is. Before playing a piece of classical music she studies the country as it was at the time of its composition as well as the composer, ''It is my duty to play the music as the composer meant it to be heard,no more and no less'' She certainly has no sense of grandeur so apparent in the self inflated teeny hero's one see's on the stage.

Yes genius isn't isolated to science, Beethoven and Tchaikovsky etc. belong up there with the greats but i am not sure if their great abilities wasn't more due to great talent and hard work than genius but Leanado da vinci was undoubtedly a genius a master in all he touched. Queen was a fantastic group and Freddy Mercury a good writer of songs, he has been described as a genius but in my opinion he was just good at his work. Sometimes works of deep thought, provoking emotion hint at genius, like Oscar Wilde's poem ''The ballard of Reading jail''. People even call talented footballers geniuses these days which is depressing.

So now we know what constitutes a genius. Can we safely assume that those who reference the works of Oscar Wilde with such aplomb whilst horribly mangling the title can be discounted from the category?

Maybe many in Thai did not know him because first he was Prince and then he was AFKAP and then he was ummmmm forgotten. Liked some of his music rest in peace

The correct name in his symbolic days was 'the artist formerly known as Prince'

Didn't like his music, did like that name.

The guy was a musical genius, brilliant guitarist, played every instrument if I recall. You don't have to have liked him to appreciate how talented he was, those putting him down would seem to have little appreciation of music.

Unlike most of today's artists he wrote material as well, didn't just get his name added on to steal royalties.

57 is very young to die these days, presumably more info will come out.

You seem to know a lot about artists adding their name to songs not written by them.....not just for the songwriting and publishing royalties , but to give themselves more musical credibility !

You are absolutely correct .....and Prince was NOT one of those.....

Ask Mozart!

So now we know what constitutes a genius. Can we safely assume that those who reference the works of Oscar Wilde with such aplomb whilst horribly mangling the title can be discounted from the category?

Ah ! an 'R' slipped in, i have trouble with my r's in summer

Ask Mozart!

Ah ! an 'R' slipped in, i have trouble with my r's in summer

I thought that may have been a reference to JG Ballard, but I was mainly referring to your use of 'Jail' rather than 'Gaol' which, admittedly, is pronounced 'jail'.

I'm just giving him a listen. Vacuous 80s schlock, nothing but electronic beat and Bee-Gee voice. Unlistenable to me. The man seems mainly a poseur. I guess you had to be there.

Sorry to hear he's dead at that age, but the massive media hagiography is hardly merited.

I'm just giving him a listen. Vacuous 80s schlock, nothing but electronic beat and Bee-Gee voice. Unlistenable to me. The man seems mainly a poseur. I guess you had to be there.

Sorry to hear he's dead at that age, but the massive media hagiography is hardly merited.

Serious question....Do you really think the outpouring of love and expression from his peers and the world would be happening if he was "a poseur"?

I like your elegant words, they impress me.

Serious question....Do you really think the outpouring of love and expression from his peers and the world would be happening if he was "a poseur"?

Sure, they probably like him because he's a poseur. It's the entertainment business.

Sure, they probably like him because he's a poseur. It's the entertainment business.

You forgot to quote my entire post.

The part where I said I liked your elegant words....

Yeah, '80s beat, Bee-Gee voice.

Unlistenable.

Give me strength.

http://www.jukebo.com/prince/music-clip,how-come-u-dont-call-me-anymore,vrl05.html

The corpse formally known as Prince

A necessary post Im sure

and the mumble by mumble transcript of the 911 call adds what exactly to our understanding of the death of a celebrity??

At least they didn't post selfies with the slumped dead body... not yet anyway.

He didn't just sing in one voice. He's arguably the most talented musician and artist the last 30-40 years, hence the mourning. If you can name a more talented artist that's around that's better would love to know. We are left with awful talentless rubbish like Black Eyed Peas, Beiber and Pitbull these days - someone like Prince reminds us that there used to be extreme talent in the charts.

He did rock, jazz, r'nb, funk and pop with such ease. It's so rare to have an artist that is loved across by fans that cover so many genres. That's why it's big news. And the reason so many people are mourning. Sure many people didn't like all of his stuff but he did so much great.

If you've only heard 1 song you are missing out. My advice get a good pair of headphones lie back and listen to the following - when doves cry, the cross, sign of the times, beautiful ones, little red corvette, let's go crazy and purple rain. Enjoy!

We continue to see people with no talent who have never made a name for themselves piss on someones else grave.

Worse still, that anyone would actually spend the time to listen then comment negatively in a thread about said artists demise.

You are funny but in a really really sad way.

Seems many people are coming here to knock Prince. Undoubtably a few old farts amongst them ;-)

Prince was a true artist. He never watered his art down for mass appeal. So of course, he wasnt everyone's cuppa.

Many that are knocking him more than likely love some of his songs but dont even know that Prince wrote them.

The man did what he loved, played and wrote from the heart and never comprimised his integrity. He was blessed with talent and the success never went to his head

Millions will miss him. Few will remember the people that felt the need to disparage him on the day of his passing.

a poseur, a phony, vacuous 80's schlock ..... Isn't that almost the definition of a "pop star"?! thumbsup.gif

He sure must have pissed people off by how he dressed. However a person who composes his own music, writes the lyrics, then plays it solo, as in plays every instrument in the recording studio for the cd has to be somewhat talented. You wonder how many in the good old days, or present day, could have done that?

When i was young, in my twenties . i loved his music.

Listening back on his music, today, in my fifties. i still like his music.

There is something just sort of funky and sexy about it. And i think that his music shall live on. Lots of memories for lots of people.

Even if his dress sense was a bit odd. But wasn't everyones at that time.

I'm sick of writing RIP this year. There have been too many.

But that wee guy, sort of getcha. He was only five foot two. A wee musical ledgend.

And one sad thing that i read today, is that he had had a child. Who died after a week. How sad is that.

a poseur, a phony, vacuous 80's schlock ..... Isn't that almost the definition of a "pop star"?! thumbsup.gif

He sure must have pissed people off by how he dressed. However a person who composes his own music, writes the lyrics, then plays it solo, as in plays every instrument in the recording studio for the cd has to be somewhat talented. You wonder how many in the good old days, or present day, could have done that?

I think Freddie Mercury could have done that. Before his demise, Bowie did it, Paul Simon etc. Lots of those people do it.

He was a giant, a talent that graces the music- world only rarely!

If there is a God, he is putting together one hell of a band in 2016!

R.I.P. Prince- nothing compares to you![/quote

Indeed "nothing compares 2U" also written and composed by Prince.

Hard to imagine a place online with more people with more pedestrian tastes in music and who are so incapable of appreciating a musical genius like Prince. I mean I get it that his persona, upon first impression, is not for everyone and I too, coming from a generation that reveled in unrepentant heterosexuality, was a bit put off in the beginning by his androgynous demeanor. But over time he certainly made plenty of music that I found compelling. He won me over. The man could play music, the man could write music, the man could sing, the man had a great ear for producing in the studio, and the man could perform. I know of no other artist in the music industry who had all these skills on display at the highest levels all the time.