Rogue Bangkok taxi driver filmed fleecing Thai woman and foreign husband

webfact

That driver is absolute scum. Unfortunately he is not alone.

But as much as we foreigners are appalled, Thais are too.

Let authorities deal with him and that's it. There's already a huge divide between foreigners and Thais, let's not add to that and in fact deal with it one by one. He got caught and he got punished. Good.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please tell me article law..

If you read the article the police decided to fine him 2000 baht and suspend his license for 3 months. So he must have broken some law.

So you do not know?

You guess police cant be mistake?

or maybe it's fine for what happened next( not for price)

whistling.gif

So what article laws ?

That driver is absolute scum. Unfortunately he is not alone.

But as much as we foreigners are appalled, Thais are too.

Let authorities deal with him and that's it. There's already a huge divide between foreigners and Thais, let's not add to that and in fact deal with it one by one. He got caught and he got punished. Good.

That driver is absolute scum

WHY?

Thai women try cheating and driver scum?cheesy.gif

Please tell me article law..

If you read the article the police decided to fine him 2000 baht and suspend his license for 3 months. So he must have broken some law.

The police just fined a guy 500 baht for not wearing a shirt.

Show me the law that says a man can't go shirtless. There isn't one.

what problem?

I many time do it. taxi driver tell u price. You agree or NOT. if not have 3 way:

1. say your price

2.say on meter.

3. GET OUT FROM tthe CAR!!!!

if say YES/ agree with price and after do not want pay it CHEATING!!! ANY WHERE !!!

I'd agree if

a) her heavy suitcases weren't in the car

b ) he hadn't started driving

c) it would be easy to find a new cab - he'd started driving so he'd need to do a big loop to get back to arrivals and let them get out

d) he quoted a reasonable price, say 400

Clearly this isn't a reputable driver trying to negotiate, he was aggressive and violent, you can see him lunging violently at the women on camera.

If you put your bags in the car, he sped off fast, then shouted at you ok it'll be five thousand baht, are you going to be weak and submissive in that situation?

Don't you think in some situations it's morally better to cheat someone who is trying to cheat you?

C)

yes if starting drive come back to place where get.

She ask him do it?..

NOT

Just SHE get it SERVICE and after start complain about price she agree!!!

Another not have any excuse.

ps

taxi driver aggressive.. I see. But it's happened after women try cheat . women provoked him.

its same not excuse. But you sure you not be aggressive when some provoked you?

Who knows how much he pays airport cops to get that position in the arrivals area.

And she is, off to her fancy pancy hotel with a foreigner. He probably picked her off from a lifetime at the noodle stand.

While this poor guy, has lost his income and cannot support his 6 kids. She obviously has fast forgotten where she came from. Poor guy.

What loss of income, she offered him 500 baht, that's a great rate from the airport. Over the minimum daily wage for one journey.

Seems you have a chip on your shoulder about Thai ladies. How much did she take you for?

I know of a Thai teacher and her farang boyfriend who hailed a taxi from the side of the road. Once they got in, the Thai woman told the taxi driver where she wanted to go. Perhaps not realising that she and the farang were together, the taxi driver asked her (in Thai), "And where is the white pig going?" Unfortunately for the taxi driver, the "white pig" was fluent in Thai and gave the taxi driver a piece of his mind!

she didn't know that they were together but she asked where the guy wanted to go? Doesn't make much sense.

what problem?

I many time do it. taxi driver tell u price. You agree or NOT. if not have 3 way:

1. say your price

2.say on meter.

if say YES/ agree with price and after do not want pay it CHEATING!!! ANY WHERE !!!

I'd agree if

c) it would be easy to find a new cab - he'd started driving so he'd need to do a big loop to get back to arrivals and let them get out

Clearly this isn't a reputable driver trying to negotiate, he was aggressive and violent, you can see him lunging violently at the women on camera.

If you put your bags in the car, he sped off fast, then shouted at you ok it'll be five thousand baht, are you going to be weak and submissive in that situation?

Don't you think in some situations it's morally better to cheat someone who is trying to cheat you?

Perhaps she agreed to 900 Baht without any discussion, and then was smug and patronizing to him when she got to the hotel. Might be why he was so angry. We will never know the whole story, just the one she is telling.

what problem?

1. say your price

2.say on meter.

I'd agree if

C)

She ask him do it?..

NOT

ps

taxi driver aggressive.. I see. But it's happened after women try cheat . women provoked him.

Dude quit trolling, you comment cant be this stupid.

900 baht for a 350 baht ride is extortion plain and simple.

I ran into a thai friend at the corner shop tonight, he is a professional driver to mostly farang Company CEOs, EXECs, etc., (not taxis). I asked him for his opinion on all this.

Basic, he says. The Taxi Driver should have used the Meter as he is obliged to do by Law. He didn't. Verdict? Driver in the wrong. Case closed.

Makes sense to me.

A couple of foreign visitors arrived at my house. I greet them want to pay the taxi since I didn't collect them personally.

I ask the driver how much. Somewhat sheepishly he answers 500 Baht.

I reply that the meter price for that trip is approximately 150 Baht. Here's 300 Baht which is already double the correct fare. Bye bye. Driver argues halfheartedly but still accepts it in good spirits.

Why did the driver quote more than 3 times the correct fare even though that is illegal? Because he could and thought he would get away with it.

Why did he accept 40% less than the agreed fare? Because he knew that it was a fair compromise and he wouldn't win if he tried to fight.

Since the transaction itself is illegal, it's the law of the jungle isn't it?

Edited by thedemon

At my local Tesco they have a system where they 'contract' metered cabs to act as 'resident' taxis. They are generally older vehicles not in as good shape as the normal cabs on the road. They do not do long trips, just local running for shoppers. If you need a cab to town, these are not it.

Here's a good story. I always walk over to Tesco, it is good exercise for me, but of course when I am loaded up with goods I always cab it back. For over a decade I have been using their services. I have got to know many of the drivers. I have to say, it is terrific! Never happen in my country. I wheel my trolley out the front door, the guys take it off me, the cab backs up, and they load my bags into the boot for me whilst I have a smoke, and off we go. The trip ranges in price from 37 Baht to maybe 45 baht max, depending on traffic. We pull up outside my house and he gets out and even helps me carry my stuff in. How good is that! I always give them 50 Baht, no matter what is on the meter.

The good part is, that sometimes whilst walking over to Tesco one of these 'resident' taxis will be returning from a trip. He will stop and pick me up, taking me to the front door, no charge.

Life is tough in the tropics.

For once, the action taken against the driver are proportionate and meaningful.

I hope more of these scumbags will get the same treatment, including the training course... hopefully in a military camp.

another thing about this story is that posting such stuff online does work better than to complain anywhere

Wrong. Not proportionate. The vid doesn't work on TV (why is that?) but check the thai website, he lunges at the woman. The hotel staff just blocks him. This creep should be sitting in a cell for a couple of weeks minimum. 2000 baht and a suspension he'll ignore is not close to enough. Some jail time and/or attitude adjustment time in a military camp and a lifetime ban, he is not fit to be a taxi driver.

No, he told them 900 baht at the airport. She agreed. Then when she got there, she changed her mind and said she will only pay 500 or call the police.

Usually passengers must wait downstairs and cue for taxi. Those taxis are always on the meter.

But some like to jump the cue and go upstairs to arrivals and negotiate with the taxi by themselves. The passenger enters a verbal agreement, or decline and get another taxi.

She jumped the cue, and reneged on her agreement. As she admitted in the video. We as customers do not have to get in an unmetered taxi. We can get another. It's his taxi, he can negotiate what he wants. Negotiated taxis are all over the world. It's no different from negotiating a tuk tuk.

She did not keep her agreement and should be arrested.

Wrong.... he has to use his Taxi Meter. Taxis are officially not allowed to refuse a customer. Hell, you don't even have to ask anything before you enter the taxi. Just get inside and tell where you want to go.

I guess GC didn't actually read the OP:

"He had not indicated he was not using the meter and after a short while demanded 900 baht for the journey."

So you're wrong GC on all points. The passenger(s) shouldn't have to check to make sure the driver's using the meter. The driver attempted to extort them, when they refused to be extorted at the hotel he attempted to assault the woman. Egregious, in fact criminal behaviour on the part of the driver who should lose his license for good and sit in a cell for a while.

A couple of years ago a resident falang told me that a contact of his at the US embassy told him dead falang, almost all middle-aged males, are found every now and then on the outskirts of bangkok, most beaten to death with tire irons. These deaths are covered up by the Thais bcs tourism.

There are many polite, professional drivers in BKK, and they're doing a tough job that's under-paid. I'd be happy with a raise in the flag fall, it's too low IMO (hasn't changed in decades which is ridiculous) and that's one of the main causes of the mid-trip extortion attempts (happened to me many times).

Physical intimidation and violence are way out of bounds, should go without saying but I guess some people can't see that simple truth.

The taxis must have a sign on the dash and on the back of seats

in multiple languages stating that the meter must be on

or get out of the taxi , take the number etc,

schools for farang tourist

before they come past the immigration booth,

poor taxi driver just trying to make a living

His Thai gf didnt know this already?

For once, the action taken against the driver are proportionate and meaningful.

I hope more of these scumbags will get the same treatment, including the training course... hopefully in a military camp.

another thing about this story is that posting such stuff online does work better than to complain anywhere

Wrong. Not proportionate. The vid doesn't work on TV (why is that?) but check the thai website, he lunges at the woman. The hotel staff just blocks him. This creep should be sitting in a cell for a couple of weeks minimum. 2000 baht and a suspension he'll ignore is not close to enough. Some jail time and/or attitude adjustment time in a military camp and a lifetime ban, he is not fit to be a taxi driver.

the video shows absolutely no violence. he "lunges" with his hands in his pockets, I'd say he steps closer.

sitting in a cell for no violence? very excessive.

what problem?

1. say your price

2.say on meter.

I'd agree if

C)

She ask him do it?..

NOT

ps

Dude quit trolling, you comment cant be this stupid.

900 baht for a 350 baht ride is extortion plain and simple.

And 3 ml bath for car price is 30 k $ its not extortion?cheesy.gif

He ask price She accept, after do not want pay- it CHEATING!! its simplewhistling.gif

A couple of foreign visitors arrived at my house. I greet them want to pay the taxi since I didn't collect them personally.

I ask the driver how much. Somewhat sheepishly he answers 500 Baht.

I reply that the meter price for that trip is approximately 150 Baht. Here's 300 Baht which is already double the correct fare. Bye bye. Driver argues halfheartedly but still accepts it in good spirits.

Why did the driver quote more than 3 times the correct fare even though that is illegal? Because he could and thought he would get away with it.

Why did he accept 40% less than the agreed fare? Because he knew that it was a fair compromise and he wouldn't win if he tried to fight.

Since the transaction itself is illegal, it's the law of the jungle isn't it?

1. Why illegal? Many guys say its illegal but cant say any articles Thai laws..

GUYS!! if it illegal in your country its not mean its automatically illegal everywhere.

( I ma not say its legal or not- i do not know so why ask)

2. Have a DEAL!! it means that the two sides agreed to an oral agreement.

Or for you words and promises mean nothing?
mean a word of it on the forum can not be trusted?
Edited by ardokano

No, he told them 900 baht at the airport. She agreed. Then when she got there, she changed her mind and said she will only pay 500 or call the police.

Usually passengers must wait downstairs and cue for taxi. Those taxis are always on the meter.

But some like to jump the cue and go upstairs to arrivals and negotiate with the taxi by themselves. The passenger enters a verbal agreement, or decline and get another taxi.

She jumped the cue, and reneged on her agreement. As she admitted in the video. We as customers do not have to get in an unmetered taxi. We can get another. It's his taxi, he can negotiate what he wants. Negotiated taxis are all over the world. It's no different from negotiating a tuk tuk.

Wrong.... he has to use his Taxi Meter. Taxis are officially not allowed to refuse a customer. Hell, you don't even have to ask anything before you enter the taxi. Just get inside and tell where you want to go.

"He had not indicated he was not using the meter and after a short while demanded 900 baht for the journey."

So you're wrong GC on all points. The passenger(s) shouldn't have to check to make sure the driver's using the meter. The driver attempted to extort them, when they refused to be extorted at the hotel he attempted to assault the woman. Egregious, in fact criminal behaviour on the part of the driver who should lose his license for good and sit in a cell for a while.

A couple of years ago a resident falang told me that a contact of his at the US embassy told him dead falang, almost all middle-aged males, are found every now and then on the outskirts of bangkok, most beaten to death with tire irons. These deaths are covered up by the Thais bcs tourism.

There are many polite, professional drivers in BKK, and they're doing a tough job that's under-paid. I'd be happy with a raise in the flag fall, it's too low IMO (hasn't changed in decades which is ridiculous) and that's one of the main causes of the mid-trip extortion attempts (happened to me many times).

Physical intimidation and violence are way out of bounds, should go without saying but I guess some people can't see that simple truth.

where she refused price?

When she get service? She had agreed to 900 baht?

what say your friend , friend its not any reason with out proof..

Wow! That's a ripper. A farang friend with a friend in the embassy told you that. Sounds like typical ex-pat sensationalist bar talk to me. In this day and age something like that would be very hard to keep a lid on. Thailand, the Hub of all Rumours and Gossip!

I'll tell you what happened to me one night though, I certainly don't wish to brag about it, but a few years back now, I was absolutely paralytic when leaving my local pub, I got into a cab in the early hours, told the driver where I wanted to go and promptly passed out in the front passengers seat..

Shortly after dawn, with the sun rising fast, and getting hot, I awoke in the middle of a paddock. A large vacant plot of land, curled up on the gravel. Feeling very much like crap! A combination of both panic and relief. Panic because I had not a clue what had happened after getting into the cab or where I was. And relief that I was alive and unhurt. Then that cold shiver as I immediately checked everything. Couldn't believe it. I still had all my money and even my expensive mobile phone! Nothing was out of place, except for my pride. Thankfully no-one was present to witness my embarrassment.

I reckoned the driver simply just didn't know what to do. He may have even thought I was dead. He more than likely tried to wake me but I was out to it. So he just found a dark secluded vacant block of land and pushed me out the door and legged it.

I stumbled out to the main road and got a cab home. Feeling very bloody lucky, and very angry with myself.

If was was going to rob me, he certainly would not have needed a tire iron.

BTW I don't pull these stunts anymore. Getting too old for that sh_t.