Moving to Chiang Mia - Retirement Visa advice please

Tib6005

Hello all

Your advice on the Banking procedures has been so good, I thought I'd seek further advice from you.

I'm working on my application for a Retirement Visa. Do I read correctly that the application and supporting documentation has to be in triplicate?

Also, it mentions that proof of adequate funds has to be in a Bank account for 2-3 months. Does this mean that the funds are required to have been in my UK account for this period of time before I can apply for my visa, or, that I have to leave the funds in the Bank for this period of time to demonstrate that I'm not just putting it in one day and taking it out the next? I do understand that once my move is complete, I'm required to deposit the funds in a Thai Bank account, which I'm fine with. I've tried calling the Thai Embassy in London, without success.

Kind regards,

Tib6005

You are talking about an O-A multi entry visa issued by the Embassy money must be in an account at time of application as stated on there web site

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/51

If you are actually talking about doing an extension of stay in Thailand then the money must be in account here in Thailand for 2 (first time - or 3 months) prior to each application.

Edited by lopburi3

You are talking about an O-A multi entry visa issued by the Embassy money must be in an account at time of application as stated on there web site

If you are actually talking about doing an extension of stay in Thailand then the money must be in account here in Thailand for 2 (first time - or 3 months) prior to each application.

Great, thank you

My advice is: prepare to deal with the formidable Chiang Mai Immigration. Perhaps you might like to move to an area under a different office's jurisdiction. How about Hua Hin? It's nice and you won't need to go through torture to do your extensions. You have heard about Chiang Mai Immigration, haven't you?

Actually he is getting an O-A visa so the only requirement will be 90 day reporting if he does not travel and that does not require any contact with immigration. Other than being understaffed for the increased workload have not seen many reports of serious issues with Chiang Mai immigration - and from past history perhaps Hua Hin would not be the best example for a no issues office.

Yes, if the OP comes here with an O-A visa, all he has to do the first year is 90 day reports and to be sure that whenever he enters the country the owner/manager of the place where he stays files an TM30 report on him. He can exit the country just before the end of his 1 yr O-A visa, even for a quick border run and return to receive another 12 month permission to stay stamp. Then during that second year he repeats the 90 day report process, but he needs to have a re-entry permit in his passport if he exits the country to keep his permission to say alive.

All this can be done without excessive waits at CM Immigration. The only action that requires an excessive wait at CM Immigration for the OP would be for when he eventually has to start doing annual 12 month retirement extensions in Thailand.

If the first paragraph is confusing for the OP, he's not going to find anyone at CM Immigration able to explain it to him. The Thai officials there simply do not have the time or inclination to educate customers about how to use their services. Fortunately the legitimate visa agents in Chiang Mai, like the two that are sponsors of this forum -- Assist Thai Visa and OS Thai Visa, provide assistance for these services at a price that is much more reasonable than what I've heard quoted for other retirement places like Hua Hin and Pattaya.

Are you applying for an O/A visa in London ?

If so take a look at the Thai Embassy website.

What is required seems to be set out clearly.

Yes, I'm working through the O/A application.

Thank you for the link. I have read this, but perhaps I wasn't interpreting it correctly......

Having just been through the process, I can confirm the money only needs to be logged in your Thai Bank at time of application.

Also, I can recommend very highly the services of Chiang Mai Buddy - they were incredible, and helped me and other members of my family.

It's very easy to complete upon arrival in Thailand, and in my opinion easier than when overseas.

Best of luck

If you are looking for a retirement Visa you will need the 800,000 baht in the bank for two months prior to applying. If you are looking for an extension you will need it in the bank for 3 months prior to it. The one thing to be very careful of is they often ask for a copy of your bank book and if the figure in it doesn't match the one on the letter from the bank they will have you go to the bank and match them I have heard of times when they let it pass but best to be sure before hand.

I don't understand all this OS or what ever mumble Jumble. My original Visa says RETIREMENT on it and all I do is report in every 90 days. No need to leave the country. You can even do it on line (some times) or mail it in. Also their are agents that will do it for you.

I can't say for sure about the original retirement you might have to leave the country for that one. I got mine in Vancouver before coming over here. I don't think any of the conciliates can do that now.

Good Luck

Edited by northernjohn

If you are looking for a retirement Visa you will need the 800,000 baht in the bank for two months prior to applying. If you are looking for an extension you will need it in the bank for 3 months prior to it. The one thing to be very careful of is they often ask for a copy of your bank book and if the figure in it doesn't match the one on the letter from the bank they will have you go to the bank and match them I have heard of times when they let it pass but best to be sure before hand.

I don't understand all this OS or what ever mumble Jumble. My original Visa says RETIREMENT on it and all I do is report in every 90 days. No need to leave the country. You can even do it on line (some times) or mail it in. Also their are agents that will do it for you.

I can't say for sure about the original retirement you might have to leave the country for that one. I got mine in Vancouver before coming over here. I don't think any of the conciliates can do that now.

Good Luck

Yes and no: You do NOT require the funds to have been on deposit for any particular length of time before starting the application process. 24 hours is fine.

However the process takes time and the funds must not drop below the 800K.

There is no requirement to exit the country during the entire process.

I've just been through it.

Also, any guidance could be changed tomorrow, rendering everyone wrong.

You must be talking about change of status rather than extension for retirement - extension for requirement requires that funds have been in account for the required period prior to acceptance of TM.7 form if just using bank deposit method.