New laptop hard drive cannot find OS

billd766

"I expected that but even putting an old Win 7 copy disk in the CD ROM wouldn't start the OS."

What do you mean by a win 7 copy disk?

Is it a copy of windows 7 you copied in a cd/dvd burning program and have you successfully used this dvd to install before now?

Being in Thailand my wild guess a windows copy disk is one you buy at pantip for about 100 bt.....

PS but of course could also be a copy made of a legal ms windows disk while the expensive original is kept in vault. Ya never know

Edited by brianinbangkok

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I expected that but even putting an old Win 7 copy disk in the CD ROM wouldn't start the OS."

What do you mean by a win 7 copy disk?

Is it a copy of windows 7 you copied in a cd/dvd burning program and have you successfully used this dvd to install before now?

Being in Thailand my wild guess a windows copy disk is one you buy at pantip for about 100 bt.....

And they throw in the malware, adware and spyware free.

You can solve this problem with four simple steps:

(1) Buy a Macintosh computer.

(2) Salvage any files you can from the old computer (drag or save them to some external device like a flash drive.)

(3) Unplug the old computer and dump it in the recycle bin.

(4) Learn to use the Mac … it’s easy.

Live happily ever after…

(2) Salvage any files you can from the old computer (drag or save them to some external device like a flash drive.)

Live happily ever after…

The harddisk in a Mac never breaks, nor do you need any virus protection or so I often hear from mac fans....

Dream happily ever after.

;)

OP, sounds to me like you have installed the hard drive correctly. The motherboard is NOT broken, if it was, it would not boot at all to show the missing OS message.

You've forgotten the BIOS password so you can't check the drive boot order, but I presume when you hit F12 you can select the CD to boot from since you've tried a Windows recovery CD.

What you need do next is to download a Windows 7 ISO for your version of Windows 7 (look at the sticker on the bottom of the laptop). Burn this and then boot from it to install Windows on the new HDD. Use the product key off the bottom of the laptop, but you'll probably have to call Microsoft to activate as the online methods usually fails the these keys.

All a bit confusing blink.png

Have you set the BIOS to boot from CD?

If you can boot from the CD installation disk you should be able to install the OS onto the HDD.

wink.png

F2 will get me into the bios.

The bad news is that when I hit F2 it asks me for a password which I cannot remember so therefore I cannot get into the bios.

You can usually decrypt the BIOS password from the error code using either a software utility or an online utility.

I have used this one with success: https://bios-pw.org/

Normally to get the error code you just enter a random password 3 times and it will show the error code. Don't worry about message saying that the system will be disabled etc. That is just until the next reboot.

All a bit confusing blink.png

Have you set the BIOS to boot from CD?

If you can boot from the CD installation disk you should be able to install the OS onto the HDD.

wink.png

F2 will get me into the bios.

The bad news is that when I hit F2 it asks me for a password which I cannot remember so therefore I cannot get into the bios.

OP, you do not need to access the BIOS since you have already verified you can boot from CD when you put in the rescue disk, which "bump started" the computer.

Please look into downloading or otherwise getting a Windows 7 install DVD, I am 99.9% sure based on what you have said that this will allow you to reinstall the OS.

Live happily ever after…

It is also very expensive and I don't want to waste my money on something that I don't like or want.

80 GB HDD, tells us you have an ancient laptop, best to dump.it and get something up to date. In the long run it will save you a lot of headaches

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I only use it for games and the internet and when I get overrun with kids 1 of them can use it.

Only for games? Great. BTW< you can Google all problems and if I were you, I'd go to the next Advice store, pay 300 baht for a W 7, keep the updates on and then install W 10 on it.

You're really wasting your time and i don't think that you understood some advice here. Then please go to Advice. Cheap and good and let them clean up the machine, summer's coming.

Thanks for that advice.

OP, sounds to me like you have installed the hard drive correctly. The motherboard is NOT broken, if it was, it would not boot at all to show the missing OS message.

You've forgotten the BIOS password so you can't check the drive boot order, but I presume when you hit F12 you can select the CD to boot from since you've tried a Windows recovery CD.

What you need do next is to download a Windows 7 ISO for your version of Windows 7 (look at the sticker on the bottom of the laptop). Burn this and then boot from it to install Windows on the new HDD. Use the product key off the bottom of the laptop, but you'll probably have to call Microsoft to activate as the online methods usually fails the these keys.

After trying several solutions posted here I have taken lostinissan's advice and taken the laptop over to the Advice shop 15kms away and asked them to put Win 7 on it and get it to run.

It worked OK on Win 10 before so when I get it back I can go online and download Win again and it should then be good for a few more years.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I can normally fix most computer problems but this one beat me.

Live happily ever after…

It is also very expensive and I don't want to waste my money on something that I don't like or want.

But they're great for people who don't understand computers.

After trying several solutions posted here I have taken lostinissan's advice

I really wouldn't make a habit of that, he's exceptionally good at breaking things.

biggrin.png

I have given it a try. After all it is not if he is doing it personally and if it still doesn't work I will send him the bill.rolleyes.gif

"The motherboard is NOT broken, if it was, it would not boot at all to show the missing OS message."

This isn't true. The BIOS starts the process and then hands it off to the CDROM and/or HDD. If one of the printed circuits on the MOBO that goes to the drive controller is broken/cracked or if the MOBO drive controller is bad, it will fail at the hand off. There are lots of things that can fail on a mobo without anything else failing.

In fact, it's during the POST (Power On Self Test) that the BIOS might not find a drive with an OS and give that error message. That's exactly the error message you would get from the BIOS POST if the HDD was missing entirely, or if there was no optical drive with a bootable disk in it, or if the MOBO had a bad drive controller or cracked printed circuit and the BIOS couldn't see or use the CDROM or HDD even if they were good.

Cheers.

Edited by NeverSure

Yes, brianinbangkok, Mac Hard Drives can and do fail, just like any other PC’s, although the argument could be made that they fail less often. As for Chicog’s assertion that Mac’s essentially are for dim-witted individuals, well, thats his opinion and he is certainly entitled to an opinion, even if it is rooted in ignorance on his part.

There’s a reason Apple is ranked number one in the world (well above Microsoft…) the reason is quality and it’s not, “ … they're great for people who don't understand computers. “ as Chicog implies. That’s pure BS. I spent 25 years working for NASA using both Mac’s and high-end Dell PCs. Most of that time manipulating Photoshop images of the Solid Rocket Boosters for the Space Shuttle program. Even had a Dell at home to polish website code designs for myself. The PC’s tend to have many issues while the Mac’s just keeps on chugging along. I have 6 mac’s in my home right now — three that I use regularly and the rest are here just because I am too lazy to get rid of them. Funny thing is five for that six will still boot up even though three are so old they will not accept the current Intel based operating systems.

Yes, brianinbangkok, Mac Hard Drives can and do fail, just like any other PC’s, although the argument could be made that they fail less often. As for Chicog’s assertion that Mac’s essentially are for dim-witted individuals, well, thats his opinion and he is certainly entitled to an opinion, even if it is rooted in ignorance on his part.

I said:

"But they're great for people who don't understand computers".

But I didn't say they're great for people who obviously can't read, like yourself.
Kindly do not put words in my mouth.
And stop trolling in a thread which is asking for assistance on PC's. That IS dimwitted.
And if you want to discuss Mac MTBF rates, open a thread on the Apple forum.

There’s a reason Apple is ranked number one in the world (well above Microsoft…) the reason is quality and it’s not, “ … they're great for people who don't understand computers. “ as Chicog implies. That’s pure BS. I spent 25 years working for NASA using both Mac’s and high-end Dell PCs. Most of that time manipulating Photoshop images of the Solid Rocket Boosters for the Space Shuttle program. Even had a Dell at home to polish website code designs for myself. The PC’s tend to have many issues while the Mac’s just keeps on chugging along. I have 6 mac’s in my home right now — three that I use regularly and the rest are here just because I am too lazy to get rid of them. Funny thing is five for that six will still boot up even though three are so old they will not accept the current Intel based operating systems.

I did not say mac's are not good quality computers, just your posting is like telling a guy trying to repair his old corolla to buy a new BMW.

Not helpfull or realistic ;)

PS My Sinclair Zx Spectrum 48k also still boots , well after I replaced some higher and lower memory chips , the switching power supply that fried them , the ULA and the CPU, and all the capacitors.....but I must say I like my dell i5 for daily use.

Edited by brianinbangkok

Still, neither Macs or Windoze notebooks will replace newspapers.

Both of them break if you hit a fly hard enough with them.

tongue.png

I bought a new 500 gB hard drive this morning, physically installed it, booted it up and got the message cannot find OS.

Why would you think a new 500Gb drive would have an OS on it if you haven't installed one?

blink.png

As mentioned, you need to check the BIOS to see if it can boot from external drives or USB.

If not, then you'll have to put that drive in another computer, install the OS on it, bring it back, boot it up and let it find new drivers.

Not great advice,,,,unless the machine is the same architecture.

AMD gets different intall to Intel for a start.

I really wouldn't make a habit of that, he's exceptionally good at breaking things.

biggrin.png

I took my laptop up to the Advice shop about 15 km away yesterday.

All I asked them to do was to put Win 7 onto the HDD.

I collected it this morning, lo and behold it lit up in a short time.

I am now slowly reloading all the programs etc to bring it back as it was.

Thanks to lostinissan who pointed me to the right place and the fixed rate charge was 250 baht.

It must have been a lucky guess of mine that the original HDD had failed.

The total cost to bring it back to life was just over 2,000 baht.

Thank you to everyone who made helpful suggestions. Some I tried and some I didn't.

Have a great rest of the week.

biggrin.png

I took my laptop up to the Advice shop about 15 km away yesterday.

All I asked them to do was to put Win 7 onto the HDD.

I collected it this morning, lo and behold it lit up in a short time.

I am now slowly reloading all the programs etc to bring it back as it was.

Thanks to lostinissan who pointed me to the right place and the fixed rate charge was 250 baht.

It must have been a lucky guess of mine that the original HDD had failed.

The total cost to bring it back to life was just over 2,000 baht.

Thank you to everyone who made helpful suggestions. Some I tried and some I didn't.

Have a great rest of the week.

Man, nice to read that your machine's working again and thanks for the flowers. Whatever part you need in the future, Advice have the best prices and all comes with a warranty. You must have their blue sticker on it now and even when you mess something up through your programs, just bring it back and let them fix it for free.

BTW, please download Macrium ( free version, for the pro swim in the bay) and once you've got all running well, create a back up on an external.

Macrium works like a charm and if you have a problem, you've got your system back in 25 minutes. But you'll also have to create a rescue disc to get it started it something's wrong.

Your HD has at least a one year warranty, you might be lucky and have three years. You can check that online, or you just ask them when you come by next time.

Have a good one. Kindest regards from hot Sisaket city.

P.S. It must be on your sticker, like a number 365, which means one year. If not it's on the HD.

Edited by lostinisaan

I bought a new 500 gB hard drive this morning, physically installed it, booted it up and got the message cannot find OS.

Why would you think a new 500Gb drive would have an OS on it if you haven't installed one?

blink.png

As mentioned, you need to check the BIOS to see if it can boot from external drives or USB.

If not, then you'll have to put that drive in another computer, install the OS on it, bring it back, boot it up and let it find new drivers.

It's great advice. Madame Chicog never gave some "bad advice."

blink.png

Yeah good point, a laptop that old would probably be 32-bit.

Anyway, he did the right thing by giving it to someone who knew what they were doing.

biggrin.png

blink.png

If you read my post of yesterday you will see that the laptop boots up from the internal HDD. Billd

Yeah good point, a laptop that old would probably be 32-bit.

It is. Billd

Anyway, he did the right thing by giving it to someone who knew what they were doing.

biggrin.png

Normally I can fix most things pc wise but this one stumped me. The only thing they forgot to do, and I forgot to ask them was to activate Win 7. More my fault than theirs.

The reason for that is so that I can download WIN10 to get me back to where the laptop was when the old HDD crashed. I went back this morning and asked them and they did it for free in about 10 minutes.

The reason for that is so that I can download WIN10 to get me back to where the laptop was when the old HDD crashed. I went back this morning and asked them and they did it for free in about 10 minutes.

You could have downloaded the Win 10 ISO and done that to start with.

biggrin.png

biggrin.png

I have long since given up on trying to help people here. They rarely follow the best advice.

biggrin.png

I have long since given up on trying to help people here. They rarely follow the best advice.

The question I have is whose advice is the best and who makes that decision?

You may believe that your advice is best while somebody else will say that theirs is the best.

@Chicog As for downloading the Win 10 ISO I already have that but until I had got some sort of OS working I couldn't make use of it.