Crackdown On Foreign Teachers

george

Have you spent time in Thailand ? Have you heard Thais speaking English?

Any Thai that can speak English fluently will already have or be applying for a job that is far higher paid than any English language school is prepared to offer.

That would be akin to expecting English speakers to learn Thai from a farang who is fluent in Thai.

Any farang fluent in Thai will be able to hold a high paying job in this country as well.

The reason they hire native speakers is so that Thai students can learn correct pronunciation and learn something of the western culture. .

Quite so. As a decent speaker of Thai and an English native I would agree that I would only be tempted by B250000+ to do any kind of work. In addition, I don't have a Bachelor's Degree, so teaching would seem impossible. Also I hate the idea of teaching rather than doing something, so that wouldn't work either... :o

That's the problem of many farangs. They LOVE Thailand, they LOVE the Thais, they absolutely WANT to live here, they DO enjoy the easy going life style here. Just one little thing should be like at home, the salary. I wonder whether all these overpaid long noses realize how much less funny and comfortable their life would be if they had to accept Thai conditions. I wonder if they still would love this country and their people if they had to live and work like them.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great News

Thailand should not be hiring native speaking English teachers. They should be using Thai teacher and people who speak English fluently as a second language.

The reason for this is that many native English speakers do not know the rules of the language - as they have never been "taught" english formally.

Any Thai that can speak English fluently will already have or be applying for a job that is far higher paid than any English language school is prepared to offer.

That would be akin to expecting English speakers to learn Thai from a farang who is fluent in Thai.

Any farang fluent in Thai will be able to hold a high paying job in this country as well.

The reason they hire native speakers is so that Thai students can learn correct pronunciation and learn something of the western culture. .

My wife is Thai, speaks fluent english, she lived and studied english in London for 4 years and she still can not pronunce R words perfectly. That and a few other mistakes. Thai's teaching English, yeah right. i have met only a few Thai's who can hold a full conversation let alone be able to teach English.

This as I stated in a previous post and elsewhere is only the tip of the iceberg. I have a degree, I have my work permit, I am as the present situation under Thai law states qualified to be a teacher here in Thailand. My degree however is in Model Design, which I would be the first to point out helps me, not at all, in teaching English, but I am legal. I believe the new requirement is that you hold a degree in education, is that so? All schools are also now being told that all their foreign teachers are to take an exam to get a teachers license, Ok sounds like a good thing. But I don't think I should be able to pass a teachers exam I did not qualify as a teacher, I did not study for 4 years to be a teacher, there is no way I should be able to pass an exam designed for a fully qualified teacher. Right we are all clear I am not a teacher, yet I am becoming one through the experience and very hard work. This weekend I am marking the papers of a class of M4 student for their fully qualified, 30 years of experience, Thai teacher, as I will do the job better than she) I would imaging that 90% of all teachers in Thailand (foreign) do not hold a teaching degree. Certainly outside of Bangkok the level of teaching qualifications would be very, very low. Now if I am serious about teaching here perhaps I should think about taking more courses, improving my knowledge, gaining qualifications that allow me to meet the new demands. Right back to England to do a 4 year course, and the other 90% of teachers can come too. Woops, where have all the teachers gone? That is of course if I could afford to go home in the first place. I earn 330.00 UK Sterling per month that’s $627.263 USD at today’s rate a month, before tax. I might be able to afford a ticket home if I save for a few more months. But then of course I won't be able to afford the very expensive train fare to... hmmm where will I go, no home in the UK. As I made a commitment to Thailand by moving here, as I played it totally straight with my school, my locally labour department, and I am doing a good job according to my school, my kids and their parents, in fact the only person who thinks I should be doing better is me. There is a good possibility that I will not be able to meet the new requirements and neither will 80-90% of those teaching here, if they do require a degree in education and a teaching license. There simply are not enough qualified teachers to go round. I am not required to teach grammar, I teach conversation yet without me here the Thai teachers who do the teaching of grammar would struggle, they can tell the kids why according to the rules I can't as my Thai is not up to helping someone who has poor English skills understand the complex world of grammar but combined with the Thai teachers knowledge we are a team it simple works better for all concerned. Yes someone with the right qualifications taking my place would be great if they could integrate with the kids the same way I can, if the teachers got on with them the same way I do, if they had the skills to help make the kids want to learn like I do, because I don't care what level of education you have got if those kids don't want to learn they wont! Having said all that and presuming we now have the perfect teacher to take my place so the kids education improve beyond the level that I could teach, will that perfect teacher (on paper) work here for $627.26 per month?

This is not just about qualifications it is about availability of capable bodies. The school should judge their foreign teachers on the job they are doing. If the person is unable to do a good job then yes they should be kicked out, if I fail my kids I would want to be removed so that someone else can help them. This situation is not black and white, this situation is taking place in a country where a law one day is changed the next and the next and the ... It is also a country that is functioning under military law, this is not somewhere that you can judge by Western standards however much they might try. Whilst your sitting in the UK, US where ever remembering the good holiday you had here, and all the fun times, just think about those of us here jumping through hoops daily, working in conditions you are not prepared to work in for money you might spend in a day so that Thailand's children's future might be a little better simply because they had access to a foreign teacher.

Gosh that’s a lot to spell check :o

I think it's a case of the majority suffering for the actions of the minority.

Over the years I have met many people in Thailand, I lived in Pattaya for a long time, quite a few of these guys ended up Teaching in Bangkok, the only reason they did this was cos they couldn't borrow any more money and did not have the airfare home, so teaching was all that was left to survive.

I would imagine there are many Teachers who really do have the students education in mind when they enter the classroom, but there are those that also enter the classroom to nurse last nights hangover.

Some may ask why on earth someone would risk working with no work permit for such low pay, its not like the money is worth the risk, so why the attraction?

What is it about Thailand that people will risk Jail and deportation for a sum lower than they would get on the welfare in their own countries?

If I was in charge of policies regarding Farang Teachers, I would also want much tighter controls over who was in charge of children.

Can you imagine just any broke drunk teaching in UK schools , just cos they wanted to stay in UK and happened to have pissed all their money away?

Tighter controls had to happen, I believe one could earn high wages in Japan years ago, just be a white face and earn big, I believe times have now changed dramatically.

Just to put your comments in context:

The deputy Prime Minister of the UK is an ex merchant seaman, many backpackers are on a one year sabatical after completing university, and some of the most profitable companies in the UK right now are construction companies founded by ex brickies.

Alkies, crackheads and perverts seem to prefer being a representative of God (priests, TV evangelistics etc.).

Or US President. Sorry about the politics, couldn't resist.

Edited by calibanjr.

We're in a country that has laws on the books, but behaves more by personal relationships. It's not clear, in English, what laws are even on the books, in Thai. Many laws are never enforced. boatabike is not the only teacher in Thailand with a work permit and a non-educational BA. There are teachers with work permits with no degree at all. There are also teachers with BA's who can't get work permits because the Thais have no idea how to get them work permits, or don't want to do it, or the law's too difficult.

This crackdown is one more brick in the wall that not only keeps teachers of English out of Thailand, but keeps Thailand out of the developed world.

And I'm sure when a student stops you mid stride and asks why it is

"Up with which I will not put" versus "I will not put up with it".

How many so called trained teachers can say which of the above is correct.

Or why or when (exactly) is the letter A pronounced Aye or with a short a as in apple and how do you tell.

Sat 04 Nov 06, 11:20 a.m.

Hi Hublet, all,

You express yourself in an authoritative manner so it many not be evident to readers that you are merely expressing an opinion here. TEFL is rife with ongoing controversy regarding methods and approaches. For example, great numbers of experts believe that teaching any prescriptive grammar at all (e.g., "Up with which I will not put" versus "I will not put up with it") is not only inefficient but may actually be an impediment to students gaining fluency. If you look at the millions of Asian students whose heads are cluttered with rules of grammar and phonetic symbols (often more knowledgeable than their teachers) yet cannot string together two simple Engarishe sentences, it is clear that there is at least some validity to the communicative (no grammar) approach.

Personally, if I were hiring for a school in Thailand, I would prefer enthusiastic, personable, engaging teaching teachers who were capable of getting students to actually use the language in a meaningful way as opposed to some egghead adding yet another patina of grammar rules, phonetic symbols and vocab that students will never use.

My intent here is not to revisit this perennial controversy, merely to point out that these issues are complex and often controversial, and it is all too easy to maintain strong opinions without really being aware of the current thinking in the field of TEFL.

Aloha,

Rex

Quite so. As a decent speaker of Thai and an English native I would agree that I would only be tempted by B250000+ to do any kind of work. In addition, I don't have a Bachelor's Degree, so teaching would seem impossible. Also I hate the idea of teaching rather than doing something, so that wouldn't work either... :o

That's the problem of many farangs. They LOVE Thailand, they LOVE the Thais, they absolutely WANT to live here, they DO enjoy the easy going life style here. Just one little thing should be like at home, the salary. I wonder whether all these overpaid long noses realize how much less funny and comfortable their life would be if they had to accept Thai conditions. I wonder if they still would love this country and their people if they had to live and work like them.

Much of the complaining here is from people who bought into the idea that they could become teachers solely on the basis of some sort of intensive or not so intensive efl certification course.

It looks like the Thai government is no longer going along with such a concept, if it ever did.

The Thai government is doing the right thing. More importantly, it has the absolute right to set standards for teachers in Thailand. Foreigners don't.

If you don't qualify, you don't qualify. If you really want to be a teacher in Thailand, then do what you have to and get qualified.

There are very few countries in the developing and developed world these days where you can be employed as a teacher with only a two, three, four week, etc., training course certificate.

Hopefully, Thailand will not be among this group that much longer given the recent moves it is making regarding teacher licensing.

Great News

Thailand should not be hiring native speaking English teachers. They should be using Thai teacher and people who speak English fluently as a second language.

The reason for this is that many native English speakers do not know the rules of the language - as they have never been "taught" english formally.

This is a rediculous statement. Very few would be afforded an education that got the pronuciation correct under your proposed system.

Wouldn't it make more sense to require educators that know the rules of the language and are native speakers. If you read my posts you will note I am not an English teacher and barely have a grasp of my own languange but I have been with friends of mine who are Thai that would be considered fluent. They have a very hard time removing the tone from words when they speak english. These are Thai English teachers and Professors. They are all for having native English speakers teaching.

Getting the rules but not the pronunciation or the pronunciation and not the rules are both not ideal.

What is wrong with learning the rules from thai teachers assuming they know them and learning conversational english from native speakers? I hired a thai that could read english out loud and pronounced the words pretty much okay but he had no idea what they meant. Carrying on a conversation was impossible for him. I would be happy to hire a thai office worker that could understand and speak english even if they did not write with perfect grammar since that would be a vast omprovement over what I have to choose from now.

Judging by the large percentage of both unemployed and marginal skilled people in this country, it appears the "ministry of education" isn't worth a tinker's dam. If I were evaluating their performance, they word get a big fat F for failure; in fact, failure would be an understatement. It is partly their fault for being totally incompetent. If you were to add up all the money that is taken by the government from corruption, fraud, and extorting money from their own people as well as farrangs, they could no doubt deliver a first class education/skill to every man, woman and child here.

It is obvious that when speaking English to a Thai person who has attended even University level English classes, their ability to speak the language it is substandard. They seem to miss much of which is spoken in just normal conversation. Most of the conversation flies right over their heads.

The only exception to this are the Thais who have been educated in the west and spent time there, and of course who now live in the west. Native english speaking men who have married Thai women, have helped these women to become vastly better in the language for two very good reasons. There is no substitute for being around native speakers no matter what language it is.

Also, many of these men have sent their gals to better English teaching schools. Something the ministry could never do, nor would they.

It is also doubtful that any one of the members who sits on the "ministry of education" could pass any of the requirements they demand of not only their own Thai teachers much less educated or non educated native English speaking people.

Well Uk Farang -- what a stupid comment to make -- guess you are not involved in education - and they delivery of English language classes -- to suggest that Thail teachers teach English is such a joke - I work in a large school in Bkk and we have over 100 teachers = of which only around 10 can in fact communicate in English - i choose the word communicate = as their use of English is terrible and some of these are teaching English to Thai students - If there is any hope in hel_l or the Land of Smiles for the students must be taught English conversation and skills with native speakers - qualified or not - but have the change to use the language - I have come across so great native speakers teaching english language here and they dont have qualification but are really about to relate to the students and make learning english = FUN = just another piece of paper in many cases - OK GRAMMAR FROM A THAI TEACHER IS FINE - EXPLAIN IN SIMPLE WAYS - BUT SPEAKING OH REALLY

Well Uk Farang -- what a stupid comment to make -- guess you are not involved in education - and they delivery of English language classes -- to suggest that Thail teachers teach English is such a joke - I work in a large school in Bkk and we have over 100 teachers = of which only around 10 can in fact communicate in English - i choose the word communicate = as their use of English is terrible and some of these are teaching English to Thai students - If there is any hope in hel_l or the Land of Smiles for the students must be taught English conversation and skills with native speakers - qualified or not - but have the change to use the language - I have come across so great native speakers teaching english language here and they dont have qualification but are really about to relate to the students and make learning english = FUN = just another piece of paper in many cases - OK GRAMMAR FROM A THAI TEACHER IS FINE - EXPLAIN IN SIMPLE WAYS - BUT SPEAKING OH REALLY

I really hope your grammar is better when you are in class.

If you, realy work at a school teaching English language, then i hope it's only conversation which you teach.

If you, realy work at a school teaching English language, then i hope it's only conversation which you teach.

Shall we, therefore, assume that you are not a teacher?

Great News

That is one of the most rediculous things I have ever heard

It's good news AND bad news. The good news is that teachers who qualify will have to be paid much better. The bad news is that a lot of good teachers don't qualify and will be lost.

This as I stated in a previous post and elsewhere is only the tip of the iceberg. I have a degree, I have my work permit, I am as the present situation under Thai law states qualified to be a teacher here in Thailand. My degree however is in Model Design, which I would be the first to point out helps me, not at all, in teaching English, but I am legal. I believe the new requirement is that you hold a degree in education, is that so? All schools are also now being told that all their foreign teachers are to take an exam to get a teachers license, Ok sounds like a good thing. But I don't think I should be able to pass a teachers exam I did not qualify as a teacher, I did not study for 4 years to be a teacher, there is no way I should be able to pass an exam designed for a fully qualified teacher. Right we are all clear I am not a teacher, yet I am becoming one through the experience and very hard work. This weekend I am marking the papers of a class of M4 student for their fully qualified, 30 years of experience, Thai teacher, as I will do the job better than she) I would imaging that 90% of all teachers in Thailand (foreign) do not hold a teaching degree. Certainly outside of Bangkok the level of teaching qualifications would be very, very low. Now if I am serious about teaching here perhaps I should think about taking more courses, improving my knowledge, gaining qualifications that allow me to meet the new demands. Right back to England to do a 4 year course, and the other 90% of teachers can come too. Woops, where have all the teachers gone? That is of course if I could afford to go home in the first place. I earn 330.00 UK Sterling per month that’s $627.263 USD at today’s rate a month, before tax. I might be able to afford a ticket home if I save for a few more months. But then of course I won't be able to afford the very expensive train fare to... hmmm where will I go, no home in the UK. As I made a commitment to Thailand by moving here, as I played it totally straight with my school, my locally labour department, and I am doing a good job according to my school, my kids and their parents, in fact the only person who thinks I should be doing better is me. There is a good possibility that I will not be able to meet the new requirements and neither will 80-90% of those teaching here, if they do require a degree in education and a teaching license. There simply are not enough qualified teachers to go round. I am not required to teach grammar, I teach conversation yet without me here the Thai teachers who do the teaching of grammar would struggle, they can tell the kids why according to the rules I can't as my Thai is not up to helping someone who has poor English skills understand the complex world of grammar but combined with the Thai teachers knowledge we are a team it simple works better for all concerned. Yes someone with the right qualifications taking my place would be great if they could integrate with the kids the same way I can, if the teachers got on with them the same way I do, if they had the skills to help make the kids want to learn like I do, because I don't care what level of education you have got if those kids don't want to learn they wont! Having said all that and presuming we now have the perfect teacher to take my place so the kids education improve beyond the level that I could teach, will that perfect teacher (on paper) work here for $627.26 per month?

This is not just about qualifications it is about availability of capable bodies. The school should judge their foreign teachers on the job they are doing. If the person is unable to do a good job then yes they should be kicked out, if I fail my kids I would want to be removed so that someone else can help them. This situation is not black and white, this situation is taking place in a country where a law one day is changed the next and the next and the ... It is also a country that is functioning under military law, this is not somewhere that you can judge by Western standards however much they might try. Whilst your sitting in the UK, US where ever remembering the good holiday you had here, and all the fun times, just think about those of us here jumping through hoops daily, working in conditions you are not prepared to work in for money you might spend in a day so that Thailand's children's future might be a little better simply because they had access to a foreign teacher.

Gosh that’s a lot to spell check :o

That is one huuuuuuuuugggggggggeeeeeeeeeeeee paragraph!!! :D

Actually it is 2 paragraphs, and if you spread it out over the full page width or increase your screen resolution it would look a lot smaller. :o

Oh by the way, Huge has one u, one g and one e whilst we are picking holes in each others posts. Other than that basic mistake your post has added a huge amount to what is for many a big problem, thanks for your input.

Great News

My experience of teaching kids taught by non-native speakers is that they can understand each other when conversining in English but are unlegible to a native ear!

Edited by booma

I have been in the undesirable position of hiring and interviewing teachers for a small start up international school. my conclusion is that Teaching English For Laughs (TEFL) candidates more times than not tend to be clueless about class room dynamics, group interaction, lesson preparation, contract commitment, personal integrity. Whereas candidates with degrees understood the principles of time management, course planning, course objectives and assessments. Yes there is a whole pool of people without degrees that have the life experience that has given them the skills to teach children to communicate in English and many other subjects. However as an employer faced with only two choices my vote will go to the degreed individual 99.9 percent of the time.

I have been in the undesirable position of hiring and interviewing teachers for a small start up international school. my conclusion is that Teaching English For Laughs (TEFL) candidates more times than not tend to be clueless about class room dynamics, group interaction, lesson preparation, contract commitment, personal integrity. Whereas candidates with degrees understood the principles of time management, course planning, course objectives and assessments. Yes there is a whole pool of people without degrees that have the life experience that has given them the skills to teach children to communicate in English and many other subjects. However as an employer faced with only two choices my vote will go to the degreed individual 99.9 percent of the time.
maccaroni man,

Are you comparing TEFL course completers (who in fact should have learned the things you listed, about which they were clueless) who have no degree, with B.Ed. graduates? What about those who earned a degree (BA, BS) in an unrelated field, and paid attention in a one-month TEFL course? Is there a third or fourth category, indicating other criteria you look for in the job interview?

What a fine discussion on native and non-native teachers again. And how about correcting each other on grammar mistakes! Get a life, please!

Just keep one thing in mind: there are way more non-native speakers of English than actual native speakers. And what about the language itself, English that is. English is nothing more than a mix of French, German and Dutch.

I rather have a non-native, though fluent, teacher teaching my kids than a native from let's say Manchester or Dallas. The non-native teacher knows what these children go through!

And please tell me you precious native speakers: how many languages do you speak. I reckon that 60% of the native teachers here in Thailand have never ever mastered another language and are therefor less suited to teach ESL English!

What a fine discussion on native and non-native teachers again. And how about correcting each other on grammar mistakes! Get a life, please!

Just keep one thing in mind: there are way more non-native speakers of English than actual native speakers. And what about the language itself, English that is. English is nothing more than a mix of French, German and Dutch.

I rather have a non-native, though fluent, teacher teaching my kids than a native from let's say Manchester or Dallas. The non-native teacher knows what these children go through!

And please tell me you precious native speakers: how many languages do you speak. I reckon that 60% of the native teachers here in Thailand have never ever mastered another language and are therefor less suited to teach ESL English!

Well put - yes I think that a non-native speaker WHO IS NOT A THAI SPEAKER can teach better than most native speakers because of their experience in learning a 2nd language. However Thai teachnig conversational English is an ideal that just doesn't work.

Plus if ferangs couldnt teach Englsh in Thailand - what would we do?

Great News

- Teachers from countries where English is not an official language must present evidence of English-language fluency, in the form of standardized test results with the following minimum scores: IELTS 5.5; or TOEFL 550 or TOEIC 600.

I first read the condition, and thought at last a non racist criterion for assessing eligibility?

Then I read the tongue in cheek comment of ukfalang! I assume some may recruit on the strength of just being white and speaking a version of English. Most even now probably have further criteria applicants must satisfy.