Crime wave Thailand – fact or fiction?

webfact

Very disturbing stuff.
Video shows brutal bashing of British family in Thailand
APRIL 28, 2016 1:24PM
Maria Bervanakis News Corp Australia Network

SHOCKING footage has emerged of a gang of thugs brutally beating a British family in Thailand apparently because they were Western tourists.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/video-shows-brutal-bashing-of-british-family-in-thailand/news-story/262a76a5b75959980cfa07c84295b2f7

Completely agree!

Many years ago (early 80s I think) a young Australian man, who worked in China, was here on holiday.

He was riding a motorbike in Jomtien with a lady friend when he was stopped by two Thai men with a shotgun.

The men told the lady she was Thai so she should leave, but he never killed a farang before, and shot the kid dead.

This story did not appear in the local media, but was broadcast on Radio Australia.

I contacted Bangkok Post editorial desk and asked if they did not have a responsibility to make the public aware of such incidents.

The Managing Editor at the time wrote back telling me that if a media group wants to do business in Thailand they have to be careful how what they report reflects on the country. Or something to that effect.

This was back in the days when the Army / Government controlled all communications systems in the country; the Army ran the radio stations, an internet connection was only available through a land line phone call to Singapore or Japan, and even short wave radios and walkie-talkies were illegal.

Censorship comes to mind.

A second thought: Has it only occurred to me that it was Mr. Taksin and his colleagues were the people who developed the communications systems in Thailand? Including cell phone service and internet, making communications and international news immediately available to everyone in Thailand, and wrestling control away from the Army.

Is it reasonable to think that the Army has had a grudge against Mr. Taksin for a long time?

Hmmmmmm I used my Sony 7600D Multi Band Quartz PLL Synthesised Radio every where I went in Thailand in those days. I was an avid listener to Radio Australia.

BTW there was no internet in the early 80s. Thailand was one of the 1st countries in Sth East Asia (mid 90s) to embrace the internet, whilst the Singapore government was stalling trying to work out ways to control and monitor it!

I was also knocking around the Australian Embassy a fair bit at the time you mention, a friend of mine there was an ex Navy Communicator, and I was also friends with the SNCO in the Military Attache there, among others. Strange no one ever mentioned this. Pretty sure it would have been big news at the time.

Very disturbing stuff.

Video shows brutal bashing of British family in Thailand

APRIL 28, 2016 1:24PM

Maria Bervanakis News Corp Australia Network

SHOCKING footage has emerged of a gang of thugs brutally beating a British family in Thailand apparently because they were Western tourists.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/video-shows-brutal-bashing-of-british-family-in-thailand/news-story/262a76a5b75959980cfa07c84295b2f7

Thank you for posting this. I saw this news on another thread but it was deleted due to it being off topic. Thank goodness you have kept this heinous crime in the forum headlines. Absolutely the worst violence I have ever seen against a family of tourists. I would like to know more about this, please update me on any more developments in this case.

This to me is major news. Bigger news than all the other topics. Watch the video of the brutal attack and you understand why. If this were on CNN or BBC news world the whole world would agree. Something is very wrong in Thailand. How this got censured after it happened 2 weeks ago, god knows. This story is as big as the Hannah and David murders on Koh Tao. Wish Thai Visa would give it it's own thread.

Daily Telegraph 8 hours ago.

Video emerges showing ‘British family being brutally attacked in Thailand' (warning: violent scenes)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/video-british-family-brutally-attacked-in-thailand/

Police in Thailand are hunting for a group of people who launched a brutal attack on a British family in the coastal resort of Hua Hin.

The assault is thought to have taken place on April 13, during the country’s Songkran celebrations for Thai new year.

Police in the resort, who say they have arrested two of the four alleged assailants, according to news website Thai Visa, have released CCTV footage of the attack, which appears to show the tourists, two males and one female thought to be a British family, being beaten unconscious.

The assault appears to leave the victims unconscious

In the video, which makes for disturbing viewing, the apparent holidaymakers can be seen getting into an altercation with what appears to be a group of Thai men, who then knock them to the ground with a series of punches.

The victims are then kicked as they lie on the busy street.

Police are appealing for help to find the remaining attackers, but there is as-yet no information on the identity or condition of the victims.

Thailand's reputation has suffered from recent attacks on tourists CREDIT: AP/FOTOLIA

Thailand has struggled to shake off its reputation for violence in recent years following a series of attacks on foreigners.

The Foreign Office advice makes no reference to the Prachuap Khiri Khan region it says: “British nationals make nearly one million visits to Thailand every year. Most visits are trouble-free, but there have been attacks (sometimes violent), particularly on the islands of Samui archipelago. Two British nationals were killed on 15 September 2014 on the island of Koh Tao in the Gulf of Thailand.”

Is it safe to visit Thailand?

“A truly shocking display of violence.”

Daily Telegraph 8 hours ago.

Video emerges showing ‘British family being brutally attacked in Thailand' (warning: violent scenes)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/video-british-family-brutally-attacked-in-thailand/

Police in Thailand are hunting for a group of people who launched a brutal attack on a British family in the coastal resort of Hua Hin.

The assault is thought to have taken place on April 13, during the country’s Songkran celebrations for Thai new year.

Police in the resort, who say they have arrested two of the four alleged assailants, according to news website Thai Visa, have released CCTV footage of the attack, which appears to show the tourists, two males and one female thought to be a British family, being beaten unconscious.

The assault appears to leave the victims unconscious

In the video, which makes for disturbing viewing, the apparent holidaymakers can be seen getting into an altercation with what appears to be a group of Thai men, who then knock them to the ground with a series of punches.

The victims are then kicked as they lie on the busy street.

Police are appealing for help to find the remaining attackers, but there is as-yet no information on the identity or condition of the victims.

Thailand's reputation has suffered from recent attacks on tourists CREDIT: AP/FOTOLIA

Thailand has struggled to shake off its reputation for violence in recent years following a series of attacks on foreigners.

The Foreign Office advice makes no reference to the Prachuap Khiri Khan region it says: “British nationals make nearly one million visits to Thailand every year. Most visits are trouble-free, but there have been attacks (sometimes violent), particularly on the islands of Samui archipelago. Two British nationals were killed on 15 September 2014 on the island of Koh Tao in the Gulf of Thailand.”

Is it safe to visit Thailand?

“A truly shocking display of violence.”

You see Thai visa your in the news in the United Kingdom.

I see the article has just appeared in THE AUSTRALIAN newspaper. So it is certainly gaining 'legs'

Whilst it is a repeat of the news.com.au , albeit a shorter version, one should take time to read the many Australian readers comments at the bottom.

Apart from crime, historically, another problem which hard economic times brings is xenophobia and racism. People need someone to blame and hate for their problems.

The world is not a great place at the moment.

A Thai violently smacks down an Elderly Farang Woman? That has to be a 'gamechanger'. never thought I would see that. Two sides to the story?

As I type this the story has just hit the radio airwaves in Australia. 1400 2GB News report.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/british-family-attacked-in-hua-hin-thailand/news-story/18a5b6ab08e34c865dd121d1d83a6a35#itm=newscomau%7Chome%7Cnca-homepage-network-most-popular-masthead%7C1%7Cattacked-for-being-tourists%7Chomepage%7Chomepage&itmt=1461821967671

Completely agree!

Many years ago (early 80s I think) a young Australian man, who worked in China, was here on holiday.

He was riding a motorbike in Jomtien with a lady friend when he was stopped by two Thai men with a shotgun.

The men told the lady she was Thai so she should leave, but he never killed a farang before, and shot the kid dead.

This story did not appear in the local media, but was broadcast on Radio Australia.

I contacted Bangkok Post editorial desk and asked if they did not have a responsibility to make the public aware of such incidents.

The Managing Editor at the time wrote back telling me that if a media group wants to do business in Thailand they have to be careful how what they report reflects on the country. Or something to that effect.

This was back in the days when the Army / Government controlled all communications systems in the country; the Army ran the radio stations, an internet connection was only available through a land line phone call to Singapore or Japan, and even short wave radios and walkie-talkies were illegal.

Censorship comes to mind.

A second thought: Has it only occurred to me that it was Mr. Taksin and his colleagues were the people who developed the communications systems in Thailand? Including cell phone service and internet, making communications and international news immediately available to everyone in Thailand, and wrestling control away from the Army.

Is it reasonable to think that the Army has had a grudge against Mr. Taksin for a long time?

Hmmmmmm I used my Sony 7600D Multi Band Quartz PLL Synthesised Radio every where I went in Thailand in those days. I was an avid listener to Radio Australia.

BTW there was no internet in the early 80s. Thailand was one of the 1st countries in Sth East Asia (mid 90s) to embrace the internet, whilst the Singapore government was stalling trying to work out ways to control and monitor it!

I was also knocking around the Australian Embassy a fair bit at the time you mention, a friend of mine there was an ex Navy Communicator, and I was also friends with the SNCO in the Military Attache there, among others. Strange no one ever mentioned this. Pretty sure it would have been big news at the time.

1. I also used a Sony 7600 that I had to buy in Singapore because it was not sold (illegal) in Thailand.

2. I did not say anything about internet in Thailand in the 80s, or any other year.

3. If you are talking about the boy getting killed, it was big news on Radio Australia and BBC, until the next sensational story came up a couple days later. Sorry you missed it.

It was along time ago so I do not remember the exact dates. I only remember the 80s because 1980 was the year I stopped working in Saudi Arabia.

• 6 months later...
On 4/25/2016 at 0:16 PM, PaPiPuPePo said:

Could the writer shorten this article by about 90%? More matter and less art (to use the term very loosely). Then I'll read through it.

Now I know what the speed reading courses were invented for. People like you.................