"Sorry, cannot"...

JLT

I think what people need to understand and appreciate, that what happens/happened to one person in one particular place, is not likely to happen everywhere to everyone.

In Thailand, you could go to the same place an hour later see someone different and have an entirely different experience (worse or better).

That's just how life is/can be, here.

It doesnt just apply to Banking either, it applies to almost everything. smile.png

thumbsup.gif

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very entertaining post, thanks for sharing.

However I must say this is news to me, I have never had anything even close to that experience. Of course I always go to the Branch office where I opened my account (SCB) and tell them I lost my ATM card and would like to have a new one, five minutes later I have a new one. Happened several times over the years. No fuzz. For the credit card I just call SCB call center and they send a new one without fuzz.

And you've never lost your temper? Maybe not, because you're too old? Thanks for sharing.

No, I didn't lose my temper. Not because I'm too old but because I've learnt that (especially in Thailand), it's a waste of time.

But thanks for your pointless comment...

She made a polite comment not a pointless one dxmmy.

Good for you in not losing your temper... sometimes silly things like this can happen in kansas too - but again good for you for recognizing that you are not in Kansas... life has frustrations wherever you go... seems like you can handle it... good luck in future endeavors.

I have an ATM card ( Visa ) with an Australian credit union. If my card is eaten, lost or skimmed, I can fix it with an email and phone call. Who can claim that will happen with any of the Thai banks? Especially in relation to fraudulent transactions.

On the other hand, a Thai savings passbook is virtually bulletproof. A falang has to present passport ID plus signature ID to match the ultraviolet signature(s) in the passbook.

I've been offered ATM cards by several Thai banks. Have always refused, because IMHO too many risks.

American banks won't send atm or cc out of the country

My credit union will - guess that's just another example of American paranoia.

Wherever your credit union is can do as they pls just like my cc co and bank and perhaps the US banking laws. Sounds like your paranoid about what happens in the US.

Edited by junglechef

Sums up a lot of Thai post-sales customer service in two simple words... But consider yourself lucky that you did get a token "Sorry"; more often than not it's just a simple "cannot". wink.png

Or......."No Haaaaaaave"

I would have gotten to the second stop, and then removed all my money from Kasikorn and gone to Bangkok Bank at Cad Suan Kaew and opened a new account with an ATM card. Very simple and without the BS you went through.

Wherever your credit union is can do as they pls just like my cc co and bank and perhaps the US banking laws. Sounds like your paranoid about what happens in the US.

With Trump as your leading Republican candidate for the US presidency, any non-American is entitled to be paranoid.

With Trump as your leading Republican candidate for the US presidency, any non-American is entitled to be paranoid.

Just that you make a thread about ATM cards in Thailand about the US elections shows your both obsessed and infatuated with all things America

(but I can't fault you for that as it is quite an amazing place, Amazing America :) )

I have had a few close bank encounters of the Thai kind as you describe. Finally I received satisfaction with the Bangkok Bank. I find them far more flexible, co-operative and customer oriented.

Not true, perhaps true for some but not all.

Sorry meant my bank, financial institution and credit card companies, as I was speaking from and of my personal experience.

But I'm surprised to hear that some do, as have quite a few with different types of issuers.

Perhaps it's a state regulation as all mine are from the same commonwealth.

I recently heard by someone from Australia (maybe on TV or even this thread) that they could just transfer money from their home bank account to one here just by using the internet. I have to speak to mine in person to confirm all international money transfers.

But whatever process they require, even if it involves one more step by me, is fine if it makes it safer in this world, not just America, where hackers can easily steal others funds.

Not true, perhaps true for some but not all.

Sorry meant my bank, financial institution and credit card companies, as I was speaking from and of my personal experience.

But I'm surprised to hear that some do, as have quite a few with different types of issuers.

Perhaps it's a state regulation as all mine are from the same commonwealth.

I recently heard by someone from Australia (maybe on TV or even this thread) that they could just transfer money from their home bank account to one here just by using the internet. I have to speak to mine in person to confirm all international money transfers.

But whatever process they require, even if it involves one more step by me, is fine if it makes it safer in this world, not just America, where hackers can easily steal others funds.

That is the problem, yours are in a commonwealth, with a title like that no wonder.

I lost my Bangkok Bank debit card somewhere in CM last Friday.Wasn't really concerned,just annoyed as it was my fault.There was very little money in the account.

Went to Bangkok Bank at Big C Mae Hia at 10.30 am this morning ,spoke to a very pleasant guy ,teller, no problem he said.Gave him my passport and savings book, signed a few photocopies and

the application .Was out with a brand new debit card in 10 mins and no charge.

Lot of posters like to bash the BB.In 15 years I've never had a problem. Luck ? or are they just more helpfull. This was not the branch I originally got the card that was from BB near Chiang Mai Gate.

I also had a KB savings account many years ok, hardly used it and when i went to cancel they had deducted 50 baht a month as the account was inactive.Total deductions were 500 baht

for them looking after my money. I politely objected and all i got was "sorry" Of course they never told me about the inactivity fee when I originally obtained it.

Maybe because I've had a BBL a/c for 30yrs but recently an ATM ate my card. When staff retrieved it, it was ruined. They gave me a new card on the spot. No charge.

Never had a problem with Kasikorn and I own 4 accounts there, both in BKK and Pattaya. Once in the silom branch , lost my ATM card and replacement without any questions.

OP, you have made my day. I have Kbank account in Samui with internet access but have moved to Khao Kho and opened a joint account with the gf. Requested internet access linked to my Samui account, signed all the papers expecting everything to be ok. It is now one month since we opened the account, signed more papers (3 times), several phone calls to call center, call center to bank, bank to BKK who handle the internet access but still no access. My troubles with Kbank are nothing compared to you. Thanks for making me smile.

Singapore banks send CCs and ATM cards abroad. Not of any use to anyone as you have to activate them first through different possible channels. If someone steals it it's just a useless piece of plastic. Don't know why it should be different for american or any other cards.