"Sorry, cannot"...

JLT

Singapore banks send CCs and ATM cards abroad. Not of any use to anyone as you have to activate them first through different possible channels. If someone steals it it's just a useless piece of plastic. Don't know why it should be different for american or any other cards.

I've been getting my renewed CCs from the US for 23 years with no problems. Activation after arrival is just a phone call away. They upped the validity period to 3 years when I received my last one which was a nice surprise.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

American banks won't send atm or cc out of the country

Not true, perhaps true for some but not all.

Sorry meant my bank, financial institution and credit card companies, as I was speaking from and of my personal experience.

But I'm surprised to hear that some do, as have quite a few with different types of issuers.

Perhaps it's a state regulation as all mine are from the same commonwealth.

I recently heard by someone from Australia (maybe on TV or even this thread) that they could just transfer money from their home bank account to one here just by using the internet. I have to speak to mine in person to confirm all international money transfers.

But whatever process they require, even if it involves one more step by me, is fine if it makes it safer in this world, not just America, where hackers can easily steal others funds.

I can't speak for every financial institution in Australia. The process of transferring funds involves me emailing a form to them with the receiving bank details. I then have to phone them to verify the form details.

Possibly not the best security given in view of the recent hacking of SWIFT codes; however, no problems so far.

Because I don't have the patience of the OP, I don't have ATM cards. I brave the queue once a month with my passbook, withdraw all my money and keep it in my safe at home. That way I only have to deal with these cretins once a month.

I've lost my card twice (KrungThai Bank), Both times I tried to get a new one at the KSK branch, they'll cancel it but I have to go to the bank where I opened the account to get a replacement. Go figure.

Someone I know is from Khon Kaen but works now in Pattaya (no, not in a bar etc). Her ATM card stopped working, and they told her she has to go all the way back to KK for a new one, Bangkok Bank. I thought they'd introduced computers into the banking system, but obviously branches still can't 'talk' to each other. What a amazing country.

Someone I know is from Khon Kaen but works now in Pattaya (no, not in a bar etc). Her ATM card stopped working, and they told her she has to go all the way back to KK for a new one, Bangkok Bank. I thought they'd introduced computers into the banking system, but obviously branches still can't 'talk' to each other. What a amazing country.

This comes up occasionally: When you sign up with a bank, you become a customer of the branch where you sign up. You can do most things in any branch, but a few things must be done at the place you signed up.

I don’t know why it is, but it could be related to the “signature book” which is not put online, and there might be some security/privacy concerns with putting it online. Pure speculation though.

Anyway, for your friend, if she now reside in Pattaya then she should probably just open a new account with a local branch then they can give her an ATM card etc., she’ll save the inter-region banking fees, and she can move funds between the two accounts online.

P.S. Instead of writing “not in a bar, etc.” you can just state her occupation, e.g. “…but now works as a receptionist in Pattaya”, the other phrasing sounds a bit judgemental and also a bit suspicious (that you feel the need to call attention to what she doesn’t do).

I have an ATM card ( Visa ) with an Australian credit union. If my card is eaten, lost or skimmed, I can fix it with an email and phone call. Who can claim that will happen with any of the Thai banks? Especially in relation to fraudulent transactions.

On the other hand, a Thai savings passbook is virtually bulletproof. A falang has to present passport ID plus signature ID to match the ultraviolet signature(s) in the passbook.

I've been offered ATM cards by several Thai banks. Have always refused, because IMHO too many risks.

Just hide it under your tin foil hat.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

If you lose your Kasikorn ATM card just go to the branch where you opened the account, with your passport and bank book and they'll give you a new card in 2 minutes without all that fuss.

At least that has been my experience here in Bangkok, twice in the past 7 years.

I've had Kasikorn ATM cards and passbooks replaced at different branches apart from where the account was opened - Only needed passbook and passport.