After 20th of March..

Recently seen a friend arrested, been locked up in Bangkok for a month , to be deported and blacklisted for 10 years. No joke. the fine was a joke. 14 yrs overstay and a total under 6000 THB costs. Fine etc. This was not according to standard rules i guess. The deportation surely was.

When caught with an over stay a judge sets the fine. Seldom do they rule for the max fine of 20k baht.

Recently seen a friend arrested, been locked up in Bangkok for a month , to be deported and blacklisted for 10 years. No joke. the fine was a joke. 14 yrs overstay and a total under 6000 THB costs. Fine etc. This was not according to standard rules i guess. The deportation surely was.

The fine is set by a Judge.

The fine, if there was no money to pay it, would equate to 30 days jail time in lieu of payment.

Your friend will remain in detention until a ticket out of the country is bought and paid for by him, his family or his friends.

edit

spelling typo!

Edited by johnatong

How he was caught?Random check?

That is the norm for overstay fines. 14 years of overstay will mean that he was without a passport, then 6000 bath is the normal fine. If he had his passport intact, the fine is usually 3000 bath. It may vary some, but these are the general conditions.

As told above, if the fine was not paid, he must spend 30 days (of 6000 bath fine) in a thai prison, a short hour away from IDC itself. Definitely not recommended.

Edited by thaibreaker